MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Memories of Atari 2600

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
MadMind wrote:It's only the best game ever made!
...ridiculous...

Well, yes and no.
It's selling as a collectible, not as a game.
If you just wanna play the game, you can download the ROM on the web.

I understand collecting, I do. I understand collecting games. I don't understand paying out the ass for an otherwise worthless hunk of plastic - and I'm happy to be so ignorant.
You yourself said "The more rare a game is, the crappier it is", so you have to realize the absurdity in the price gouging of rare games, regardless of what console they originate.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 am

MadMind wrote: I don't understand paying out the ass for an otherwise worthless hunk of plastic ...

Well, like I said, it's the same as paying out the ass for an otherwise worthless hunk of wood and canvas with paint splotches on it if you happen to be a collector of such things (I mean, have you ever see how much a Pollock painting fetches? Why?)

MadMind wrote: You yourself said "The more rare a game is, the crappier it is"

Which is why I don't buy rare games, but I'm not a collector, I'm just a player who wants to have a large pool of games to choose from. Collectors care about (what I consider dumb) shit like label variations, foreign pressings, reissues, etc. I just want to look at my wall of games and be impressed with myself.

MadMind wrote: ... so you have to realize the absurdity in the price gouging of rare games, regardless of what console they originate.
It's hardly "gouging" when the handful of enthusiasts interested in a particular item set the price. Go read the forums at Atariage.com some time - the folks who shell out $1500 for a Pepsi Invaders will tell you straight up that the cartridge isn't "worth" that, they just paid that price because at some particular moment when one became available, they decided that they just had to have it. They'll even warn sellers not to expect anyone else to pay the nutty price that they did.

Don't get me wrong, MM - I agree with you that these prices are ridiculous. But that's for us. If a collector wants to pay a ridiculous price just for the sake of completeness, who am I to argue with them? Who's being "gouged" exactly if everyone comes away from the deal smiling?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games