MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:27 pm

It's hard to rank just one game as the best ever, but I would put this on my top 3 list without hesitation. Even though I completed 100% of Vice City a long time ago, I still pick it up and play it from time to time. I can't say that about too many games that follow a story line. The problem is that Rockstar Games set the bar so high with Vice City that they might not make a game that good while continuing to be revolutionary for a long time (if ever). So far that's been true in my opinion.

Please write about what you think made this game so ejoyable and your thoughts on the future of GTA.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Vice City is my sentimental favorite of the series.

I didn't pick up GTA III until long after the hype had subsided. It took me a while to get into it and even then I never thought it was 'all that' and had no difficulty putting it down. Vice City was a different story.

I love the eighties theme of Vice City and the soundtrack is without a doubt, 'til this day, the very best example of what a coecive licensed soundtrack can do for a game.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who would rank San Andreas as a better game. I am not one of those people.
Yes, San Andreas is much larger (almost TOO big), you can climb fences and pull yourself up from ledges, your character can actually swim, and helicopters/planes aren't so height restricted. Those are acknowledgeable improvements. Yet, Vice City retains a certain charm & character over San Andreas.

I'm hoping Rockstar releases the PSP game Vice City Stories onto the PS2 like they did with Liberty City Stories. I didn't pick up Liberty City Stories but I'd certainly pick up Vice City Stories for a cool 20 on the PS2.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:19 pm

I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. I keep going up to the hookers but nothing happens.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:33 pm

MadMind wrote:I'm hoping Rockstar releases the PSP game Vice City Stories onto the PS2 like they did with Liberty City Stories. I didn't pick up Liberty City Stories but I'd certainly pick up Vice City Stories for a cool 20 on the PS2.

If ya need more, it happened.
Vice City Stories

Gamespot Review
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:33 pm

i absolutely love san andreas. mainly because of the space between the cities and the more hip hop oriented storyline.
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:12 pm

crash bandicoot. the original crash bandicoot.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm

San Andreas was a big step forward in an already-awesome series. The hero's abilities and sheer mobility were much better than previous versions. The storylines and casts have been great throughout.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:32 pm

I was just listening to the song, Automatic, by The Pointer Sisters, and it totally reminded me of Vice City -- remember the instrumental of it was playing in the goofy dance club, the one where you eventually shoot everyone (of course)? VC simply had one of the best compilations of '80's music that I've ever heard. Not just mainstream stuff either. Whoever was the musical director for that game truly captured the essence of the '80's genre. With the variety of different radio stations, there was a wide range of music to cover, which really takes a gift to represent when you're using more obscure musical treasures. The whole game was just full of cool details referencing that decade. You know what I mean, MadMind?

BTW, did you guys know that The Pointer Sisters also did the Pinball Number Count song on Sesame Street too? I had no idea how cool that group was until recently. Totally funky!
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Re: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Postby uwstudent » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Am I the only one who seriously disliked this game? Not for it's supposed "social aspects" but cause I thought the game was just plain poorly designed. The cars drive like tanks, don't even drive the motorcycles, your character can't swim, which is kinda dumb considering Vice City is surrounded by water, you can't climb fences/walls/etc, the auto aim feature seems to work totally randomly, I've had cars that I just park suddenly dissappear, I've had it freeze up on me and refuse to load sometimes.

I thought it was a brilliant concept. I totally loved the 80's theme. I was a child of the 80's and thought the soundtrack was BRILLIANT. But I just couldn't play the damn thing....
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:11 pm

uwstudent wrote:I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. I keep going up to the hookers but nothing happens.

You need to get them when they're 'working'. Drive up next to a hooker, stop, maybe beep your horn, and one will saunter over and get in your car. Take her to secluded place and get it on. They take a little cash in exchange for 25 Health points and sex.

uwstudent wrote:Am I the only one who seriously disliked this game? Not for it's supposed "social aspects" but cause I thought the game was just plain poorly designed. The cars drive like tanks, don't even drive the motorcycles, your character can't swim, which is kinda dumb considering Vice City is surrounded by water, you can't climb fences/walls/etc, the auto aim feature seems to work totally randomly, I've had cars that I just park suddenly dissappear, I've had it freeze up on me and refuse to load sometimes.
I thought it was a brilliant concept. I totally loved the 80's theme. I was a child of the 80's and thought the soundtrack was BRILLIANT. But I just couldn't play the damn thing....

Valid complaints and praise.
GTA3 ain't nearly as refined as Vice City, and so on. Rockstar clearly puts a lot of effort into making each new release better than it's predecessor. I think they've been successful. One thing for sure is that the voice talent they hire is the second to none.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm not a fan of the GTA series for one simple reason: I'd rather play a game that does a few things very well than a million things merely OK.

If I want to shoot, theres better games. If I want to drive, theres better games, if I want to fight, theres better games. if I want role playing, theres better games.

They might get to that perfect mixture of all the elements, but I'm not holding my breath.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games