MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What is your combo?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How are you voting?

Kathleen/Ben
17%
Kathleen/Herb
6%
Peg/Ben
57%
Peg/Herb
20%

Total votes : 35

What is your combo?

Postby nevermore » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:30 am

So I was talking with someone yesterday about the AG race and he was saying how he thinks it's a slam-dunk for Peg because everybody he sees online here and in the Wisconsin lefty blogs are agog for Peg. My comeback was, "Yeah, but all these people are also voting for Ben Masel." And that's true: The left Cheddarsphere is decidedly pro-Ben for a wide variety of reasons.

So how special is our little constituency?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:46 am

This group was over the top for Kathleen four years ago. She won the county in a three way race with a majority.
This was a Cieslewicz leaning board too (although somewhat split). It is still a predominantly PD/DPDC board so you see what the left leaning folks are thinking. I would guess that the people who post here are more likely to vote in primaries than the average citizen.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hershinmad » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:53 am

I think Kathleen is only using the AG as a stepping stone to the Govs office, and I think Peg has done a good job. However, she should have resigned, or at least offered the gov her resignation when she was busted.
Nothing agains Kathy. I've voted for her before.
I picked Kathy/Herb, but now that I think about it, I'll chose Ben. He hasn't a snowballs chance (no offense Ben), but Herb need to wake up and take some stands on issues. Maybe if Ben has a strong showing it might wake him up. Unlikely, but possible.
hershinmad
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:54 am

hershinmad wrote:I think Kathleen is only using the AG as a stepping stone to the Govs office

Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing given the last few holders of the Governor's office...
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lance Boyle » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 am

Peg/Ben

Peg has been a great AG. Falk is disinterested

Ben because we need a live body in the Senate.
Lance Boyle
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 am

I was at a party the other night with a lot of people I'd think would be decidedly pro-Falk. Some of them know her well and have worked with her in the past. To a person, they were backing Peg.

I'm not sure it will be close, to tell you the truth. I don't think she wanted to run the DWI spot, but desperation dictated otherwise. And the face campaign with Pocan, Pope-Roberts, Cieslewicz and some others has been running non-stop. She's burning money at a phenomenal rate.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:42 am

The poll is proving my point. Ben is clobbering Senator Kohl with 93% of the Foron vote.

I think Kathleen wins today because while she hasn't run the best of campaigns (relying too heavily on insiders and running a negative ad that has clearly angered some voters), Peg has run an absolutely horrible campaign. She's been sniping at Kathleen with press releases for a year (even questioning if she's really a Democrat), she went on the air with a misleading attack ad about Kathleen's finances that she had to partially retract under threat of lawsuit, not coming up with a plan to solve the DNA lab backlog until a week before the election, getting blown out of the airwaves 3-to-1, etc.

All the Colbertian Truthiness about Kathleen's motivations for running won't cover up the fact that Peg's campaign sucks.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:49 am

I would be voting Falk/Masel if I were in town. I think what nevermore is trying to get at is that TDPF has shown that Falk's campaign has done a good job at pissing off lefty/liberal/progressive Madisonians. It remains to be seen whether or not TDPF accurately reflects the opinion of Joe-Democrat.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 am

ShaneDog wrote:I would be voting Falk/Masel if I were in town.

Just wondering why you didn't go the absentee ballot route.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Suoiragerg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 am

I wouldn't mind waking up Kohl but was unwilling to vote for Ben considering his lack of support for individual property owner rights and willingness to put Willie Coop employees in a difficult spot.

Sorry Ben.
Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby AlphaLiberal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 am

I shall vote for Ben as a symbolic gesture against conformity and complacence.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:39 am

nevermore wrote:The poll is proving my point. Ben is clobbering Senator Kohl with 93% of the Foron vote.

I think Kathleen wins today because while she hasn't run the best of campaigns (relying too heavily on insiders and running a negative ad that has clearly angered some voters), Peg has run an absolutely horrible campaign.

But, do we care?

If we are happy with Ms. Lautenschlager's performance, who cares about her campaign.

And to show that I must be on my way to being Foronized, I went with Peg/Ben as well.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jay Allen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 am

Kathleen/Ben.

Proudly, for both.

But I do not think we are going to know who actually wins the AG primary for a few days.
Last edited by Jay Allen on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Allen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
ShaneDog wrote:I would be voting Falk/Masel if I were in town.

Just wondering why you didn't go the absentee ballot route.
I wish I could have but I had to take a trip on really short notice. What is the lead time for an absentee ballot? Could I have gotten one the day before I left (last Thursday)?
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 am

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:
nevermore wrote:The poll is proving my point. Ben is clobbering Senator Kohl with 93% of the Foron vote.

I think Kathleen wins today because while she hasn't run the best of campaigns (relying too heavily on insiders and running a negative ad that has clearly angered some voters), Peg has run an absolutely horrible campaign.

But, do we care?

If we are happy with Ms. Lautenschlager's performance, who cares about her campaign.
We care because this thread is not about why you voted for so and so, but how each candidate will fare in the primary which is largely a result of how well they campaigned.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government