MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What cellular provider do you use?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

What wireless provider do you use?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:41 am

U.S. Cellular
31%
Sprint
7%
Verizon
14%
T-Mobile
No votes
Nextel
3%
Cingular
34%
Something else
10%

Total votes : 29

Postby guacamole » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:US Cellular, but I'll probably switch when my contract's up this fall. I travel just often enough to be irked by the exorbitant roaming fees.

They've got nationwide plans, and it looks like they've got some decent coverage.

I've got one of US Cellular's nationwide plans and it's working well for me as I tramp across the Gulf Coast attempting to finish my degree and fine a job.

I initially stayed with them because I got reception in remote field work (wilderness) locations when others didn't. Also, I seemed to have a better time getting service after Katrina than others, but since I would have been accessing the network through someone else's service (since it's not a US Cellular market down there) I'm inclined to think that was luck more than
any great network on their part.

What I really want to do is see what kind of reception I get - and at what cost - if I ever make it offshore.

To whomever mentioned using your mintues to pay your bill by phone - as far as I understand, you don't use your minutes when you call customer service. You can also pay it from a land line (from work even if you don't have a land line at home anymore!), just dial the 1-888 customer service number and you're on your way.

I'd consider switching to another service if the price was that much better, but it seems like all the carriers are really equalling out in terms of services offered for the price.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:50 pm

Cingular pay as you go. Only cost $8/month.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/hl_nm/cellphones_dc
Cell phone signals excite brain: study
Mon Jun 26

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cell phone emissions excite the part of the brain cortex nearest to the phone, but it is not clear if these effects are harmful, Italian researchers reported on Monday...
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:58 pm

None.

As one would know by reading the current Isthmus, I won't get one so long as the telco's maintain a record of the phones' physical location, and there's no legal protection of privacy in this record.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:44 pm

US Cellular:My first and only carrier, since I originally shopped around two years ago.
I found out the best way was to ask students. They are in the know as far as the best and latest technology.

Just this morning I discovered that my cell phone was taken without my knowledge and broken. I went to US Cellular to find out my options. I was due for an upgrade in August. So they gave me an early upgrade and a new Motorola V266 for $9.95. I would have had to pay over $200 to replace it.
I got insurance for $6 a month. It will be well worth it.
No problems except traveling up north. But I was in Cable on a fishing trip and no one could get a signal. Something about the hills.
I heard that they may be expanding into the Twin Cities soon. Anyone heard different?
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 pm

bassbari wrote:I heard that they may be expanding into the Twin Cities soon. Anyone heard different?

Yeah, they've been slowly expanding into Minnesota. When I upgraded my phone last year they were supposed to be hitting Rochester shortly and then expanding northward. Very nice.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:11 am

Toxic Ned wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:US Cellular, but I'll probably switch when my contract's up this fall. I travel just often enough to be irked by the exorbitant roaming fees.

They've got nationwide plans, and it looks like they've got some decent coverage.

There are national plans, thanks to agreements with other providers, but it's not a truly national network. My qualms about this are, I'll admit, largely superstitious.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games