MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Cache - See it

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Cache - See it

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:32 am

Cache is a film that many will hate, and many will love. The director's ambition is very lofty. A film where resolution does not come in expected forms, where many questions are left unanswered, but still one where the film seems complete. More than a mere thriller, this film seems to personify imperialist guilt and "white burden" better than any I've seen in recent memory. But that's just a small part - perhaps more importantly, it crosses the boundary of filmmaking in a way similar to Annie Hall and the occasional nod to the camera in Ferris Bueller. That sort of wink to the audience to let them know that the film is in fact a film, and the audience is an important element. But much more subtle than those films - no one looks at the audience. It's just the constant doubt about what is being shown - is it film or is it "the story"? Are they the same thing? That sort of thing.

Whether you hate it or love it, the film is something you must see and think about. It's not quite as bipolar in potential reaction as Irreversible, no need to worry about that. The director deftly manipulates the audience by manipulating the art form. Every scene is one we can't trust in a traditional sense, because it might be a film the characters are watching.

As I left the theater, it reminded me of the Conversation. It had that same sort of paranoia about it. Who is watching, why, and is anything hidden? Is privacy an illusion?

Thinking further, I discarded this thought. It then reminded me of Ozu. A simple story that is a clear allegory for modern society. The way we sit in our comfortable housing and watch with only mild interest news of horror and pain, hiding it away in our memories.

Thinking further, I discarded this thought too. It then reminded me of films like Rear Window. The way the audience is toyed with in a way that draws us in, engages us, and makes us question the nature of film and voyeurism.

About 12 hours later, I'd say it's all of those.

The style may be off-putting to some. It's a cold movie - do not think that it will be like The Piano Teacher, by the same director. It is more like a Gus Van Sant film, except one with plot, purpose, and clear intellect. Lots of long, really long shots. Unlike Van Sant, though, the throw away shots that seem to last too long have a real purpose.

See this film, it's one of the best films from 2005.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby embee » Mon May 01, 2006 3:37 pm

This is a powerfully involving movie. I saw it at Hilldale, whose audience you wouldn't normally think of as full of cinephiles--but they were transfixed by the excruciatingly long, essential, and silent last scene. After the movie was over, a couple dozen total strangers just stood by their seats and spontaneously launched into excited questions, discussions, scene dissections with each other. I've rarely seen anything like it.
embee

Postby universitylad » Sun May 07, 2006 4:42 pm

I was just going to write a post encouraging people to see this movie.

See it before it leaves Hilldale--you never know how long these movies will be there.

(Plus it has the same cute actor as in _Apres Vous_ AND a nude scene.!)
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:29 am

So...the library has 15 copies. I requested a hold a few weeks ago; started at 210 in line, now at 174.

I thought that was a little odd for a movie that was in the theaters for about 5 minutes. Perhaps a lot of French movie lovers get them through the library?

Anyway, I'll try to post a comment here when I see it (hopefully within the next 6-9 months).
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:01 am

Saw it. Interesting technique of keeping the watcher off-balance as you weren't sure if you were watching the film or the tape.

I thought the main character's reluctance to communicate with his wife was contrived.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:41 pm

bluethedog wrote:Saw it. Interesting technique of keeping the watcher off-balance as you weren't sure if you were watching the film or the tape.

That trick wore off pretty quick. I was expecting something better but thought the film overall was okay. They could have gone further with the subject matter. Eh.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Return to Movies