MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

truffles, as easy as they seem?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

What's your Favorite truffle center?

Chambord
13%
Kahlua
13%
Courvoisier
25%
Hazlenut
38%
Jack Daniels
13%

Total votes : 8

truffles, as easy as they seem?

Postby princessmidwest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:26 pm

so i've been thinking about making truffles with some of my homemade booze in them and just wondering if there'e any trick to them, or if they turn out fine with a basic recipe, i've also seen ones with creme fraiche and ones with cream, any opinions, recipes?
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:59 am

Culinary Institute of America's cookbook, "Cooking at the Academy" has a great truffle recipe, chocolate, butter, and cream. What more do you need than a dash of Grand Marnier. If you want to dip them in melted chocolate, freeze them first. I also have a recipe for deep fried truffles but haven't tried it.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby skrattypants » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:59 am

my tip for the smoothest truffles you'll ever make (if you have a food processor):

instead of just pouring the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, chop the chocolate FIRST in the food processor. then, with the motor running, slowly drizzle that hot cream in with the chocolate and process until the chocolate is melted and everything is creamy. this method also has the advantage of cooling the mixture down quickly. it'll be ready to pop in the fridge right away.

i'm one of the minority that dislikes truffles rolled in cocoa --that bitter, dry powder hitting my palate just isn't pleasant to me. i dip them in tempered chocolate or just roll them in chopped nuts or toasted coconut. of i cut the cocoa with some powdered sugar to reduce the bitterness.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues