MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Could it be censorship?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Is this board censored to protect the "progressives" from criticism

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes : 33

Could it be censorship?

Postby ConservativeLiberal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:38 pm

Funny how the smoking threads are being locked down, right after some very good points were made.

Even funnier how the anti-ban crowd was making those points right before everything was locked.

I guess that gives the pro-ban crowd an excuse not to answer us.

Thanks, admin.... I'm sure I'll be banned within the hour too.
ConservativeLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Could it be censorship?

Postby btrapp » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm

I used to think that this forum was considered "private property" and the owners can do as the wish. Like a tavern.

However, since a tavern is now considered a "public space", should not this forum also be considered as such? If a person has the right to enter a place of business, do they not have the right to post on this page?
Last edited by btrapp on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:41 pm

ConservativeLiberal wrote:Thanks, admin.... I'm sure I'll be banned within the hour too.

Don't let the virtual door bang you in the binary ass on the way out, fuckshuttle.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:46 pm

Face it, the smoking threads and whiners were bringing down the quality on the forum. If you want to talk about smoking start your own forum. If you guys would have been decent about it and confined the smoking discussion to 2 or 3 threads instead of threadcrapping about it everywhere it might not have ended like this.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ConservativeLiberal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:47 pm

btrapp wrote:I used to think that this forum was considered "private property" and the owners can do as the wish. Like a tavern.

However, since a tavern is now considered a "public space", should not this forum also be considered as such? If a person has the right to enter a place of business, do they not have the right to post on this page?

Not only that, but this website is from the "progressive" newspaper, aren't progressives supposed to be tolerant of all views?

This site is, in fact, more of a public forum than any tavern...
ConservativeLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ConservativeLiberal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:50 pm

ShaneDog wrote:Face it, the smoking threads and whiners were bringing down the quality on the forum. If you want to talk about smoking start your own forum. If you guys would have been decent about it and confined the smoking discussion to 2 or 3 threads instead of threadcrapping about it everywhere it might not have ended like this.

Take a look at the forums that were locked. Both of which make a pretty damn good case for the anti-ban crowd.

It's rather interesting that the two forums that got locked down both pointed out that this ban is sponsored by fanatics, who acted with complete disregard for the rights of bar owners and smokers alike.
ConservativeLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:54 pm

Believe what you want. I'm just saying that you're not going to win any converts to your cause by rude forum behavior. You and some of the other anti-ban people have really worn out your welcome here by threadcrapping, hijacking and other annoying and obnoxious behaviors. I doubt the threads would have been locked if you hadn't behaved in such a manner.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:55 pm

One might argue that if we were frightened by your intellect, the posts would be deleted. Instead, they remain part of the Internet forever, in their entirety.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ConservativeLiberal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:One might argue that if we were frightened by your intellect, the posts would be deleted. Instead, they remain part of the Internet forever, in their entirety.

You mean like the post you deleted in the forum about bus fare increases, where I pointed out the long standing tradition of the common council ignoring a large portion of Madison's population?

I didn't smoke-jack the thread, I responded to another post in that thread, on topic.

I was even civil about it, and didn't tell anyone to fuck off like Mr. Blues did (his post is still intact).

Perhaps you're frightened by your inability to defend your position...
ConservativeLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:03 pm

Some of us were arguing for better regulation without doing anything like that. Most of your pro-ban posters were being just as rude, and with less substance to their arguments to be sure. Consider the following arguments:

I don't like that bar owner.

Someone who used to work there sells heroin.

Any bar that fails due to the ban would have failed anyway.

Just a few of the baseless and unsupportable arguments brought to the table by ban proponents of late. Frankly, you guys are no more reasonable, and it was essentially limited to a few threads.

I don't see why anyone looking to discuss the topic should be prohibited from doing so because a few hotheads can't control their submit button.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RatThing » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:07 pm

Beer Moon wrote:I don't see why anyone looking to discuss the topic should be prohibited from doing so because a few hotheads can't control their submit button.

Or their ignore button for that matter. Itââ?¬â?¢s pretty damn hilarious that one of the most leftââ?¬â??leaning newspapers in the city so fully embraces censorship of its own forums. The irony makes my head hurt.

ââ?‰?Â
RatThing
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:21 pm

Oh fer Christ ... freezing a conversation which has resulted in the ad nauseam regurgitation of hackneyed crap that's all been said before is hardly censorship. It's called putting a cork in it. And if y'all had an ounce of self-restraint, or, for that matter, intellect, it wouldn't be necessary.

Y'all must be the most boring fuckers in the world at parties.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm

Beer Moon wrote:I don't see why anyone looking to discuss the topic should be prohibited from doing so because a few hotheads can't control their submit button.

Just as you may continue to smoke, you may continue to discuss the topic. You just can't do it here.
Last edited by burstingsun on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RatThing » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:24 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Oh fer Christ ... freezing a conversation which has resulted in the ad nauseam regurgitation of hackneyed crap that's all been said before is hardly censorship. It's called putting a cork in it. And if y'all had an ounce of self-restraint, or, for that matter, intellect, it wouldn't be necessary.

Y'all must be the most boring fuckers in the world at parties.

Yet strangely this kind of aggro virtual jagoff bullshit is encouraged. Go figure.

ââ?‰?Â
RatThing
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:25 pm

The only posts that were eliminated were those that sought to make some kind of point through repetition, or spamming. That's never been allowed, regardless of the reason. The offending posters, who are clearly not interested in participating in a community disccussion, can no longer log in.

I encourage anyone who has something thoughtful, interesting or original to say to do so. But an informal poll and casual conversations have pointed pretty clearly to a growing disgust with the direction of this discussion.

I'm sure this issue is of paramount importance to some of you, but it's simply not that interesting to read daily versions of an argument that has been going on for over a month, at this point. It's stale. That some of you have reacted so strongly to relatively minor moves meant to steer the discussion to fresher perspectives reinforces our decision.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com