MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

I hate that movie! But wait...

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: I hate that movie! But wait...

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:27 am

Roger Ebert describes something like this phenomenon in a 3.5-star review: "After I left the screening of 'Young Adult,' my thoughts were mixed ... As I absorbed it, I realized what a fearless character study it is."

The magic is in the absorption! I didn't really warm to that film the way some people did.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:56 pm

While I had read and thought about this thread, I could not think of an example. Until I saw The Cabin in the Woods today. I think I am still missing something, because I still have no idea what the "twist" was. Did it come after the credits, because I left.

A positive is I found this quote from Roger Ebert about trailers:

Roger Ebert once said that today's movie trailers are like supermarket cheese samples, in that they tell you everything there is to know about the cheese except what it's like to eat a pound of it.

I hated that movie.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Tue May 01, 2012 9:51 am

I thought Cabin in the Woods was a hoot. I agree about the "twist" though. Not really a twist at all, but a slow reveal.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Normally when I think of painfully depressing movies I think of Holocaust films like "The Pianist" but one movie that comes to mind in the I-never-want-to-see-that-again category is "The Road." The movie is so bleak that you may find yourself squeezing your hand into the back of your couch in hopes of finding a three year old popcorn kernel that might provide you with enough calories to live another 10 minutes. Desolation, starvation, loneliness, cruelty, inhumanity. The movie is a real downer.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: “For the Ladies” & those who appreciate Women’s Studies

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:28 am

In another thread I wrote that I post to “make connections.”
Later, I noticed a coffee mug from my alma mater with that quote. Originally I meant it only metaphorically, but perhaps the subconscious knows best? Did ya’ll know C. Darwin married his cousin? How’s that for “Survival of the Fitt-est”? Consanguinity: Ironic, don’t cha think?

I recently watched a few movies that really “hit home.” First I’ll mention The Stoning of Soraya M. (2008). It’s not for the faint of heart; mine broke at the end because, you see, I have a scar on my forehead right where Soraya got hit by her husband. Her Daddy couldn’t hit her, like my Dad never hurt me intentionally.
I wish I could say the same for the one(s) who didn’t appreciate me (not physically, but mentally).

Like E-bert, I’ll have another review soon, but I want my better half to watch it first so he and I can discuss.

Lynch, do you miss your Dad too? Re: the “title” line. Butt David might apply too.

Like I mentioned in another thread, “Perceptions are not always reality.” I came up with that in high school (1995). It was my senior quote. I was also quoting and living Tolstoy [as well as Dostoyevsky] back then as well: “Strength in Suffering.” I’m not saying I’m smarter than the average lawyer, butt I have edited law books before, and
I did read the Supreme Court decision on Bush v. Gore. This well runs deep, my “friends.”

“Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.”
- "In Memoriam A.H.H." by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

True or false???

I dedicate this post to Nedā.
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Movies