MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Pineapple Express: the Apatow/Rogen death rattle?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Pineapple Express: the Apatow/Rogen death rattle?

Postby El Chifa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Just saw it, and wish I hadn't. My hopes were high (no pun intended, really). I generally had been appreciative of the Apatow/Rogen collaborations (although I didn't think Superbad deserved all the praise it received).

Pineapple Express is one royal mess. There are a few chuckles, but most of the movie was quite a bore. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who wants to see it, so I'll just say that the action sequence at the end of the movie left me scratching my head. THAT was supposed to be funny? Or do I just not get the joke?

Wait for it on DVD, if you must see it. Or just turn on your TV to any random sitcom for a similar lukewarm chuckle.
El Chifa

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

I trying to be cautious with my expectations... I did see that the review in the Onion gave it an A- ... and rottentomatoes has it at around 70% fresh (pretty high for a comedy)

I don't like to fall prey to what critics say but I can't help but pay attention to what they say...especially when history says I've been steere in the right direction in the past by certain ones.

I agree Superbad was WAY overated... but then I wonder if I need to see it again in a different mood. There are a lot of comedies out there that my mindset has been temparmental to (zoolander, austin powers).

Anyway, I just discovered Freaks and Geeks on DVD not to long ago and watched them all in less than a month... I'm fiending for some good Rogen/Apatow humor - hope I end up disagreeing with you on this.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby El Chifa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 pm

crevice beatle wrote:

Anyway, I just discovered Freaks and Geeks on DVD not to long ago and watched them all in less than a month... I'm fiending for some good Rogen/Apatow humor - hope I end up disagreeing with you on this.

I was "geeked" to see that Rogen was teaming up with Franco again, because the chemistry amongst the freaks was incredible. Sadly, that's one of my complaints about the movie: the relationship between the Franco and Rogen characters was touched upon, but I wish more time were spent with them, and less on the rest. I wish I could elaborate upon what really disturbed me the most, but that's borderline spoiler material.
El Chifa

Postby illman808 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:19 am

I liked the movie. I'd heard it was a silly stoner flick and that it was. My only problem was the audience. I wanted to hang my head in shame when they burst out in applause to Seth Rogen french inhaling. Red was great. Ed Bagley was great. It was a bit long for a comedy but again i liked it.
illman808

Postby ouroborus4 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 am

i wish i had read this thread before i went to see it. this might be the second worst movie i have ever seen. i did chuckle 1 and a half times, but the movie was so stupid i don't even remeber what i laughed at. i cant believe i sat through the whole thing. i did expect a shallow comedy, but this was worse than that, down-right horrible. i cant' beleive the isthmus gave it an A-! F in my book. I'm upset that i actually spent money to see this movie, but i'm more upset that there's no way to get those 2 hours of my life back.
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Re: Pineapple Express: the Apatow/Rogen death rattle?

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I got this over the weekend...very hesitant to get excited over it but happy it was out on DVD because my Netflix queue has been dry lately.

This movie is pretty awful. I felt like it was completely uneven. The first quarter of the film had some laughs (love the cross joint) but it soon disinegrates into a manic mashup of unfunny action/violent scenes. There is enough energy to keep you interested in the eventual outcome. Unfortunately, along the way I found myself waiting for any number of the attempts at comedy to actually be funny but none of the jokes ever land.
I heard this movie being touted as the "funniest stoner flick of all time". Any random off the top off my head stoner films that come to mind are better than this; be it Half Baked, Super Troopers, Dazed and Confused, or any Cheech and Chong.
I honestly think the pot smoking scenes in Rogen's Knocked Up add up to more laughs than the entirety of Pineapple Express.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby benfury » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:54 pm

i thought it was great.

i am probably their main demographic though.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:59 pm

I agree. Funny as hell. It really hit home. Well Franco's character anyway.
Maybe you guys need to buy a bag of Spanish Trampoline and watch it again.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 pm

i saw i love you man yesterday
funny as hell, probably my favorite of all those movies.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 am

Pineapple is funny. The unevenness I just racked it up to it being a "stoner movie". Laughed my ass off during the car chase. And I wasn't even stoned. :P
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Don't think I laughed more then once.

I actually went in with some pretty high hopes. I've liked a lot of what these folks have done in the past.

In the end it was about as funny as watching a Cheech & Chong movie again. Which isn't saying much.

Give me the Trailer Park Boys for my stoner humor.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies