MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Just to reiterate it again, I love this festival.

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Just to reiterate it again, I love this festival.

Postby rrnate » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:51 am

Just to reiterate it again, I love this festival. Here's what I saw today...

1. "The Linguists" - a documentary about linguists who document the world's dying languages. They interview people that speak languages that very few people speak. It was surprisingly moving.

2. "Thunder and Lightning" - I'd imagine some of you have seen this awesome act (Neil Diamond impersonation plus some other songs) play in Madison at either Cafe Montmarte or the Slipper Club. It's a documentary about them which is actually far more moving then I thought it might be. I don't know that I have ever been in a theater with more crying people than I was when I saw this.

3. "Stuck" - this was directed by Stuart Gordon who directed the deathless (ho ho!) "Re-Animator" and it was great. I ran in to the Big Mike afterwards and I thought he summed up the them well, which was "I guess he was saying everyone is ultimately in it for themselves", though it was also a very effective horror movie and also a very enjoyable b-movie.

I also saw a shorts program that I thought was only okay, but still had a great time watching it. I really love this festival.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I really enjoyed the Linguists as well. Probably my favorite from the festival. I thought the way they handled the Q&A was really rude, and it's a credit to The Linguist that he took it in stride and ended abruptly. 20 more minutes of him answering questions would have been more interesting than the canadian film, for me anyway.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 am

TAsunder wrote:I really enjoyed the Linguists as well. Probably my favorite from the festival. I thought the way they handled the Q&A was really rude, and it's a credit to The Linguist that he took it in stride and ended abruptly. 20 more minutes of him answering questions would have been more interesting than the canadian film, for me anyway.

It was a little odd but I did enjoy the Canadian film somewhat. (It was no "The Linguists" however.)

That fellow did indeed have some interesting stuff to say - definitely a highlight of the fest for me.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies