MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

parting glances and planet of the apes

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

parting glances and planet of the apes

Postby depinmad » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:28 am

these are the film festival tickets i have.

what are you kids going to see?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Izzat all ya got?

Big Dreams
This American Gothic
Na Kamalai
Saturday Afternoon Shorts
Greetings from the Shore
I Pity the Fool
Twisted
Children of Glory
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: High above W. Washington Avenue

Postby pulseCzar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Parting Glances
Be Like Others
Skills Like This
Timecrimes
Chop Shop
Prague
Urban Explorers
Madison
Constantine's Sword
The Art Star and the Sudanese Twins
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:21 pm
Location: Trapped in the Overture Jello Mold

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 pm

The Unforeseen
Big Man Japan
Bon Cop, Bad Cop
Timecrimes
The Substitute
It's a Free World...
Parents
The Case
Stuck
In Search of a Midnight Kiss
Pageant
Secrecy
Fermat's Room

---

I've only seen the first 2 so far, which I gave a 3 and a 4 respectively.
Das Binky
Senior Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 pm

I wish I was independently wealthy...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8319
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I wish I was independently wealthy...


The student rates are substantially cheaper. Maybe Das Blinky is a student or has a "connect".
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 pm

TAsunder wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I wish I was independently wealthy...


The student rates are substantially cheaper. Maybe Das Blinky is a student or has a "connect".

I'm neither, but they are cheaper in bulk. ($5.25, down from $7.) 13 movie tickets is about $70 after the online service charge, which hardly qualifes as independently wealthy.

My full festival plans are cheaper than a pair of tickets to most of the shows at Overture or Alliant and I get something like 22 hours worth of entertainment out of it. More if you count people watching between shows.
Das Binky
Senior Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Das Binky wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I wish I was independently wealthy...


The student rates are substantially cheaper. Maybe Das Blinky is a student or has a "connect".

I'm neither, but they are cheaper in bulk. ($5.25, down from $7.) 13 movie tickets is about $70 after the online service charge, which hardly qualifes as independently wealthy.

My full festival plans are cheaper than a pair of tickets to most of the shows at Overture or Alliant and I get something like 22 hours worth of entertainment out of it. More if you count people watching between shows.

Right, except you're spending that much time watching these movies, including one that runs until almost 11 on Sunday night. Obviously, you've got nothing better to do, like a job, so the money required to purchase tickets must be coming from a source independent of a job. Oh, and guess what else I don't do. (hint, it's "have the time or money to go to shows at Overture or Alliant")

Either that, or this is your job, in which case I hate you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8319
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Maybe he just has a job that doesn't make him work Saturday and Sunday?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:30 pm

TAsunder wrote:Maybe he just has a job that doesn't make him work Saturday and Sunday?

Neither does mine, but the last time I had almost a full day's worth of time to spend over the course of a weekend doing stuff totally unrelated to either work, keeping up my household, or crazy shit like eating and sleeping was in high school.

Just bitter. That's all.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8319
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:43 pm

I do wonder what the logistics are going to be like when he gets hungry and has to stand in line for the next film. Steep & Brew sometimes gives free coffee, I guess. A better question would be how he's going to avoid strangling the sax player if he has to see a lot of movies at the Orpheum.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 pm

TAsunder wrote:I do wonder what the logistics are going to be like when he gets hungry and has to stand in line for the next film. Steep & Brew sometimes gives free coffee, I guess. A better question would be how he's going to avoid strangling the sax player if he has to see a lot of movies at the Orpheum.

Something like 8 of the 13 are at the Orpheum, but that's why Sony made the Walkman. No shortage of quick, filling food on State Street. (Ian's, Teddywedgers.)

And the key to the scheduling was the combo of a very understanding wife and willingness to put in some extra hours at work to make up for the zombie state on Monday morning.
Das Binky
Senior Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am

Postby rrnate » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:28 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Das Binky wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I wish I was independently wealthy...


The student rates are substantially cheaper. Maybe Das Blinky is a student or has a "connect".

I'm neither, but they are cheaper in bulk. ($5.25, down from $7.) 13 movie tickets is about $70 after the online service charge, which hardly qualifes as independently wealthy.

My full festival plans are cheaper than a pair of tickets to most of the shows at Overture or Alliant and I get something like 22 hours worth of entertainment out of it. More if you count people watching between shows.

Right, except you're spending that much time watching these movies, including one that runs until almost 11 on Sunday night. Obviously, you've got nothing better to do, like a job, so the money required to purchase tickets must be coming from a source independent of a job. Oh, and guess what else I don't do. (hint, it's "have the time or money to go to shows at Overture or Alliant")

Either that, or this is your job, in which case I hate you.


I have A) two jobs (one full time and one very part time) and B) many working bands and I'm going to 11 movies this weekend, 10 with my wife who also has a full time job. I just really like the film fest and enjoy going to several movies during it every year.

Think of it this way - you're apparently too busy to go to the film fest, but you seem to always have time to post on this Forum. Always. All. The. Time. Perhaps I can give you some tips on time management. Saving up something like $70 and one weekend per year to do something you enjoy is in fact pretty easy.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Postby rrnate » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:29 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Just bitter. That's all.


Ah. Well, okay. We agree.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Postby GenericUsername » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:43 am

rrnate wrote:I have A) two jobs (one full time and one very part time) and B) many working bands and I'm going to 11 movies this weekend, 10 with my wife who also has a full time job. I just really like the film fest and enjoy going to several movies during it every year.

Think of it this way - you're apparently too busy to go to the film fest, but you seem to always have time to post on this Forum. Always. All. The. Time. Perhaps I can give you some tips on time management. Saving up something like $70 and one weekend per year to do something you enjoy is in fact pretty easy.


The past three years I've lived and breathed the WFF weekend simply for the reasons rrnate gave. It's the one weekend a year I can go "camping" downtown with movies. I still find time to get workouts in, post here if I'd like, and get some sleeep. It really is a "value" entertainment choice for those who can dedicate a weekend to it and love movies.

To the original topic, my tix this year:
- To The Limit
- Pixar Story
- The Meaning of Tea (Rush line time)
- A Table in Heaven
- British TV Ad Awards

Yep, a documentary fest as I will be bringing my kid for the first time to the fest (for the first 3 docs listed as they seem the most kid-friendly).

Not to start a pissing match, but maybe another topic; the extent of "lived and breathed" is as follows:
2007 - 13; '06 - 12; '05 - 16; and 27 others the previous 4 yrs.
GenericUsername
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Middleton

Next

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar