MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Funny Games

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Funny Games

Postby aaron » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:56 am

K. Williams seemed to like this in his review last week. I rented the original (German) from Netflix last year and it truly is one of the most tension-filled, creepy and totally disturbing movies I have ever seen. Apparently, the re-make is an almost total shot-by-shot remake of the original.

Have not seen the new version yet, but very much looking forward to it.

Highly recommended if you like these types of edge-of-your-seat, unnerving flicks.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:16 pm

i'm really interested in this too---everything i've read makes it a 50/50. critics either love it or hate it. alas, both the isthmus and onion gave it really good reviews.
it's either this or "be kind rewind" this weekend for me (another film no one i know has seen yet).
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:36 pm

i saw be kind rewind. it's ok

i saw the original funny games, it's almost too unbearable to watch.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Funny Games

Postby MadMind » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm

I just saw Funny Games (the american version) last night on DVD. I would recommend avoiding the movie at all cost!

Funny Games is not funny, and the only game being played is a cruel joke on you, the audience. It is a sick & twisted, sadistic, glorified snuff film masquerading as a thriller.
This film has no redeemable value.

It gave me a horrible nightmare, which ended with my hands wrapped around their two scrawny necks squeezing the life out of them.

In worry that I am raising interest for this movie rather than taking away from it, let me spoil it for you and tell you that the 'bad guys' win and they leave no one alive.
It is enough to make me want to boycott all those involved with the film, and re-evaluate all the senseless violence hollywood feeds us.
If that was infact the film's intention, then mission accomplished. But, if that was the films purpose, then they've went ahead and created something even worse than any film or trend they're trying to combat in the director's self-congratulatory roundabout way.
The cost far exceeds any intended lesson.

It left me not amused or enlightened, but angry & resentful. I don't believe hollywood has the need, or the right, to point it out so matter-of-fact to it's audience - as if anyone outside of hollywood cannot comprehend the impact of the content they choose to entertain themselves with.

After watching it I just felt jerked around and insulted.
If the director was fishing for a strong reaction, he got one.
Fuck You Michael Haneke, Fuck You.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 am

MadMind wrote:I just saw Funny Games (the american version) last night on DVD. I would recommend avoiding the movie at all cost!

Funny Games is not funny, and the cruel joke is on you, the audience. It is a sick & twisted, sadistic, glorified snuff film parading as a thriller.
This film has no redeemable value.

It gave me a horrible nightmare, which ended with my hands wrapped around their two scrawny necks squeezing the life out of them.

In worry that I am raising interest for this movie rather than taking away from it, let me spoil it for you and tell you that the 'bad guys' win and they leave no one alive.

It is enough to make me want to boycott all those involved with the film, and re-evaluate all the senseless violence hollywood feeds us.
If that was infact the film's intention, then mission accomplished. But, if that was the films purpose, then they've went ahead and created something even worse than any film or trend they're trying to combat in the director's self-congratulatory roundabout way.
The cost far exceeds any intended lesson.

It left me not amused or enlightened, but angry & resentful. I don't believe hollywood has the need, or the right, to point it out so matter-of-fact to it's audience - as if anyone outside of hollywood cannot comprehend the impact of the content they choose to entertain themselves with.

After watching it I just felt jerked around and insulted.
If the director was fishing for a strong reaction, he got one.
Fuck You Michael Haneke, Fuck You.

It sounds like the movie got every reaction out of you that was intended. The fact that you can't appreciate this as art shows that you and your little brain should stick to Hannah Montana.
Giving out spoiler information is a douchebag move, fuckwad.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:It sounds like the movie got every reaction out of you that was intended. The fact that you can't appreciate this as art shows that you and your little brain should stick to Hannah Montana.
Giving out spoiler information is a douchebag move, fuckwad.

I'll do whatever it takes to keep people away from this piece of garbage, fuckwad. If I saw the actors/director at a press junkett, I'd throw my shoes at them.
I'm not the only critic who saw through this sham of a movie. It's people like you allow it to pass as 'art' that are being hoodwinked.
Would you pass genuine murder on film as art? The director even poses the notion through Paul's character that the film is as real as reality.
I understood the point the director was trying to make, difference between us is I didn't find it amusing nor was I appreciative. Perhaps you enjoy being bullied?
It wasn't something I needed shoved unsuspectingly down my throat. I was privy to the lesson beforehand. You do not teach someone not to play near an open flame by hitting them in the back of the head, tying them up, dousing them in gasoline, and then waving a lit match in front of their face for an hour.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 am

it does sound like the movie genuinely disturbed you, which is clearly it's intention.
and it also sounds like you are not someone who doesn't read film criticism, so to say that the message and methods of this film were completely unexpected to you seems a little false.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:36 pm

depinmad wrote:it does sound like the movie genuinely disturbed you, which is clearly it's intention.
and it also sounds like you are not someone who doesn't read film criticism, so to say that the message and methods of this film were completely unexpected to you seems a little false.

Honestly the only knowledge of the film I had before I viewed it, was that the family gets held hostage. I was unaware of it's grim outcome. Had I been aware, I probably wouldn't have watched it in the first place.
I looked up thoughts on the movie online the following day.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:42 pm

so you were interested in a movie about a family held hostage but disturbed when the ending was not a happy one.
i don't know man, sounds like this movie was made for you.

seriously though, i know why this movie infuriates people. i found it too disturbing to ever watch again or recommend it to anyone i know, but it knows what it wants to do and it does it brilliantly.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 pm

depinmad wrote:so you were interested in a movie about a family held hostage but disturbed when the ending was not a happy one.
i don't know man, sounds like this movie was made for you.

Perhaps you're right.
Like one critic said, it punishes you for wanting to see it.

One could argue that violence is violence no matter who's doing it to who.
If the violence is from the 'good guys' directed at the 'bad guys' and is a means to an end, it is justifiable to most (including myself). That can make all the difference in the world (on film).
Attempting to combat an audience's thirst for blood is too tall an order. I am not a child, I can distinguish between violence on the big screen and violence in reality.

Funny Games accomplishes nothing in that you are left with hate and blood lust towards the films antagonists.
Personally, I think that Hollywood should stick to entertaining, and leave the imposing of lessons to documentarians and the organizations against violence in the media.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:23 am

MadMind wrote:
Personally, I think that Hollywood should stick to entertaining, and leave the imposing of lessons to documentarians and the organizations against violence in the media.

kind of a weird position. hollywood has been using narrative films to impose lessons since birth of a nation.
by the way, michael haneke is far from a hollywood director, the funny games you saw is a shot for shot remake of his original european film of the same name.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 am

I plan on only seeing entertaining movies with happy endings from now on. Those damn bad guys should never win!

P.S. I thought it was disturbing. But good.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:25 am

depinmad wrote:
MadMind wrote:

kind of a weird position. hollywood has been using narrative films to impose lessons since birth of a nation.

You're right, I just mean Michael Haneke should be banned from giving backhanded lessons, and banned from movie making as well for that matter!
depinmad wrote:by the way, michael haneke is far from a hollywood director, the funny games you saw is a shot for shot remake of his original european film of the same name.

True, but it (the american version) was still most likely approved, financed, and released through Hollywood channels.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies