MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Indiana Jones is back!

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Indiana Jones is back!

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 pm

so the new indiana jones trailer was recently released on the web...
unfortunatley for me, i am unable to stream video here at work.
anyone have any thoughts on this? will it live up to expectations? has it been too long since the last incarnation?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:44 pm

I recently told someone who had never seen Raider that its never too late to see a great movie.

However, it can be too late to make a sequel to a great movie. 19 years is a long damn time, and Harrison Ford is older now than old man Connery was in Last Crusade.

The trailer only had a minute of footage, all of which looked spectacular. How well this all fits in a film with actual dialog and a story remains to be seen.

I got burned bad with the Phantom Menace. I loved the trailer and still do. It promised a movie much better than the one we got.

Indy has got my money for day one. He's earned that much. But I'm a pure geek, and thats nothing. If I like it, I'll see it again, buy all the toys, and at least 2 DVDs.

Last summer's sequels were terrible to un-watchable: hopefully Indy will break the streak.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Shipley wrote: Last summer's sequels were terrible to un-watchable: hopefully Indy will break the streak.

my sentiments precisely...

in fact, i'm trying to think of any movie sequels beyond "part 2s" that were worthy of being created in the past 20 years.
actually, as a whole, it seems like hardly any films following a part 2 ever are able to live up to the glory of the previous ones.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:26 pm

I liked the third Matrix, but I realize I'm alone on that one. Does Return of The King count?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Shipley wrote:I liked the third Matrix, but I realize I'm alone on that one. Does Return of The King count?

yes, i suppose Return of the King does count... hmmmm, not sure why that one slipped my mind. not a big fan of the matrix movies in general so i have no real opinion to offer regarding how the third rates against the first two.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:57 pm

oooooo.... my gonads are excited. :wink:
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:46 pm

I wonder when the Indiana Jones Trilogy will be released on Blu-Ray?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Star Trek IV was a lot better than Star Trek I and much much much better than Star Trek III. Hard to beat Star Trek II.

(After checking IMDB, I see that ST IV was made in 1986 so it's out of the "last twenty years" contention. But still, a pretty decent movie)
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has to be in consideration. Sorcerer's Stone was cute, and a nice entree into the series for non-book-readers, but wasn't a great movie. Chamber of Secrets was better, but still uneven. Azkaban was the best one so far, IMO.

Also, very little decline in quality in the Bourne series from Identity to Ultimatum.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Trek and James Bond lie well outside of the normal "sequel" cycle since the adventures are more anthologies and will never have an ultimate ending.

Never been a fan of Potter, couldn't tell you what makes one better than another.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Cool Indiana Jones schwag;

Available Now!
Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1 from Dark Horse.
Amazon
"Indiana Jones is back in this massive volume recounting three of the most important discoveries in the career of the twentieth century's most adventurous archeologist! Containing the long out-of-print stories, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis," "Thunder in the Orient," and "Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold."

June 3, 2008
Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Amazon Xbox 360
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:27 pm

George Lucas says his new 'Indiana Jones' is 'just a movie'
"When you do a movie like this, a sequel that's very, very anticipated, people anticipate ultimately that it's going to be the Second Coming," Lucas says. "And it's not. It's just a movie. Just like the other movies. You probably have fond memories of the other movies. But if you went back and looked at them, they might not hold up the same way your memory holds up."
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

I read that Lucas quote/article in the newspaper today and had to chuckle. What Lucas fails to realize is that the reason for the "backlash" against his sequels, particularly the recent Star Wars atrocities is that the originals do hold up.

I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark probably once a year. It's one of the few movies on my short list of perfect ones. It's an amazing piece of filmmaking on pretty much every level. The other two Indiana Jones movies aren't nearly as perfect, but they're both fun rides and, if anything, better when I watch them then they are in my head. Star Wars is also pretty much dead-on great too (the clunky dialogue being the major exception.) Empire is incredible. And the last time I watched Jedi, it was better than I had remembered it -- in my head I always imagine it to be nothing but wall-to-wall ewoks, but that just ain't so.

It's amazing to me that Lucas, responsible for some of my favorite films, can continue to be one of my least favorite people in the movie-making business. What a knob.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I read that Lucas quote/article in the newspaper today and had to chuckle. What Lucas fails to realize is that the reason for the "backlash" against his sequels, particularly the recent Star Wars atrocities is that the originals do hold up.

It's amazing to me that Lucas, responsible for some of my favorite films, can continue to be one of my least favorite people in the movie-making business. What a knob.

I was thinking the same thing. That's the thing about the Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies, is that they do the test of time.
Lucas is just trying to make excuses for the colossal failure which was the Star Wars prequels. I know he's cognisant of the criticisms, but I really wonder if he can objectively see just how bad of films they are. If he's oblivious, then it's too late for Lucas.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 am

Lucas is trying to shield himself from any possible forthcoming backlash. It worries me. Should we be prepared for a possible suckfest?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies