MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby MadMind » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:28 pm

It's October once again (already). More suggestions are welcome!
More recently I actually thought 30 Days Of Night and Cloverfield were solid & thrilling flicks.
And I don't even like Josh Hartnett or JJ Abrams.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Off the top of my head, a few somehwat recent horror movies I thought were good:

1) Stuck (Stuart Gordon, played at the Wisc Film Fest this year)
2) The Cottage (weird British horror film, downloaded it from iTunes, starts off off as a slow bungling thieves plot and humor, then becomes more twisted)
3)Slither, saw a screening at Fangoria convention a fe w years ago, one of my fav 'creature' movies, also darkly humorous

Dead Alive has always been one of my favorite campy horror flicks, right up there with Evil Dead 2, saw that when I was a kid and thought it was hysterically funny.

To the person who likes Lucky McGee stuff, and also is a fan of May (which I really love): have you seen Roman? Kinda similar to May, with a crazy misathrope geeky guy villian you feel sorry for.
Zloduska

Postby Flat_Atom » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Oldboy - Korean horror...really disturbing and realistic.

The Brood - if you get the hankering for that "I really don't wanna be seeing this" kinda feeling. Cronenberg is a master.

Black Sunday (aka The Mask Of Satan) - sets a perfect gothic mood and the opening scene still manages to evoke a really unpleasant vibe, even today.

Ghost Ship - (minor spoiler here) Overall this movie sucks but the opening sequence is one of the most clever (and goriest) mass murder scenes I've ever come across. That scene kinda fucked me up, which is hard to do. The rest is forgettable.

Bad Taste - Hilarious flick by Peter Jackson, just before he did Brain Dead(Dead Alive). Not scary but very weird and lot's campy of B-humour (the good kind). Pretty much all of Jacksons comedy-horror outings are worthwhile (Frighteners, Dead Alive, etc.).

Eraserhead - As surreal as it gets. Perveys a specific, dark mood as opposed to telling a linear story. Don't look for a cohesive story when Lynch is involved. A mutant whiny baby & a dancing pale faced woman (seemingly) radomly pieced together.

Carnival Of Souls - Somewhat of a Hitchcock kind of vibe. Dated and a bit cheesy but overall a solid thriller with some genuinely creepy & surreal moments.

The Howling - Fun werewolf movie w/ Dee Wallace. Not as good as "American Werewolf in London" but a decent (if slightly confusing) story and another cool transformation scene.

Shallow Grave - Good mind fuck flick that shows just how far people will go when consumed by greed.

Duel - Fuck that "Jeepers Creepers" ripoff. This is the original unprovoked vehicle chase down movie.

I'll second Cloverfield (good thrill ride all the way thru), Suspiria , The Thing & Invasion of The Body Snatchers (the late 70's version).
Last edited by Flat_Atom on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

just saw a great spanish language zombie flick called "rec"

also, "twentynine palms" is super creepy

and "inside" is pretty much a winner.

i'm also continuously impressed with "28 weeks later"
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Karl Hungus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Oldboy is Korean.
Karl Hungus

Postby Flat_Atom » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:Oldboy - Korean (not Japanese...ooops) horror...really disturbing and realistic.

The Brood - if you get the hankering for that "I really don't wanna be seeing this" kinda feeling. Cronenberg is a master.

Black Sunday (aka The Mask Of Satan) - sets a perfect gothic mood and the opening scene still manages to evoke a really unpleasant vibe, even today.

Ghost Ship - (minor spoiler here) Overall this movie sucks but the opening sequence is one of the most clever (and goriest) mass murder scenes I've ever come across. That scene kinda fucked me up, which is hard to do. The rest is forgettable.

Bad Taste - Hilarious flick by Peter Jackson, just before he did Brain Dead(Dead Alive). Not scary but very weird and lot's campy of B-humour (the good kind). Pretty much all of Jacksons comedy-horror outings are worthwhile (Frighteners, Dead Alive, etc.).

Eraserhead - As surreal as it gets. Perveys a specific, dark mood as opposed to telling a linear story. Don't look for a cohesive story when Lynch is involved. A mutant whiny baby & a dancing pale faced woman (seemingly) radomly pieced together.

Carnival Of Souls - Somewhat of a Hitchcock kind of vibe. Dated and a bit cheesy but overall a solid thriller with some genuinely creepy & surreal moments.

The Howling - Fun werewolf movie w/ Dee Wallace. Not as good as "American Werewolf in London" but a decent (if slightly confusing) story and another cool transformation scene.

Shallow Grave - Good mind fuck flick that shows just how far people will go when consumed by greed.

Duel - Fuck that "Jeepers Creepers" ripoff. This is the original unprovoked vehicle chase down movie.

I'll second Cloverfield (good thrill ride all the way thru), Suspiria , The Thing & Invasion of The Body Snatchers (the late 70's version).
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Karl Hungus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:11 pm

I agree with you on the opening sequence of Ghost Ship. The movie is total crap but the beginning is poetic.
Karl Hungus

Postby Zloduska » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Darn, I forgot to mention the Orphanage (guillermo del toro I think? too lazy to look it up) if no one else did yet, that was quite a creepy ghost movie. I second The Feast, just saw that recently.
Zloduska

Postby depinmad » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:32 pm

the orphanage was produced by del toro, not directed.

it is however, something of a masterpiece.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm

depinmad wrote:the orphanage was produced by del toro, not directed.

it is however, something of a masterpiece.

Right. It has his imprimatur but not his style, at all.

I also really liked the orphanage, but feel it's less a horror movie than a mystery.

A mystery with a horrifying solution and a chilling outro, but still a mystery.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zloduska » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:40 am

Last night I watched 'Clive Barker's' (I realize he didn't direct, they are just using his name for promotion) Midnight Meat Train with my boyfriend. Whoa, that movie was really messed up, but in a good way.
Zloduska

Postby Athena » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 pm

I'll second Stuck which is incredibly gory and The Orphanage which is great even when you take away the supernatural elements. Carnival of Souls is a favorite because I used to live in Salt Lake City where it was filmed and saw a documentary on Saltair which is that creepy abandoned amusement park by the lake. It burned down shortly after the film was made.

My husband is doing a summer camp theme this year so we've seen a couple of Friday the 13th movies and just watched Sleepaway Camp last night. I don't recommend those although the ending of Sleepaway Camp is something else. Also saw Vampyros Lesbos. I didn't like that one much either although it did have some interesting gender changes in the Dracula story. We watched Mother of Tears which is third in the Suspiria trilogy. It's not very good. Way too over the top for me.

The one we saw that I have liked this year was Monster House. It's much better than I thought it would be and actually very intelligent with some nice mildly scary moments.
Athena
Forum Addict

Re: Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:52 am

So...any new discoveries or suggestions for Halloween 2009?

Finally saw Dead Alive.

2009 horror films I've seen;
The Unborn Verdict: Eh
The Uninvited Verdict: Passable. Better than The Unborn.
Haunting In Connecticut Verdict: Good. Made me jump a few times. I was always a fan of the Discovery Channel's 'A Haunting' 2 hour version of this story (the first of TLC's "A Haunting" series). In many ways the Discovery Channel's version is superior. After some reading, I am highly doubtful of the family's claims.
My Bloody Valentine 3D Verdict: Terrible
Friday The 13th (the remake) Verdict: Terrible
I thought since the reboot of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was good (same director), this could be good too. Boy was I wrong.

2008 horror films I've seen this year;
House Verdict: Terrible. Not a remake of the 1986 film, which is confusing, since the writer for both films have the last name of 'Dekker'.
Let The Right One In Verdict: Very Good
Resident Evil: Degeneration (CG) Verdict: Good
Diary Of The Dead Verdict: Terrible
Mirrors Verdict: Passable
The Eye Verdict: Eh
Blindness Verdict: Eh, depressing
Quarantine Verdict: Good, which I was surprised about
The Happening Verdict: Good
Funny Games Verdict: Avoid at all cost

2007 horror films I've seen this year;
The Invasion (remake) Verdict: Terrible
Vacancy Verdict: Good, which I was surprised about
The Mist Verdict: Good
The Hitcher (remake) Verdict: Terrible
I thought since the remake of The Amityville Horror was decent (both produced by Michael Bay), this could be decent as well. Boy was I wrong.
28 Weeks Later Verdict: Good
Planet Terror Verdict: Good
I Am Legend Verdict: Poor, I didn't like this movie

I realized I've never seen Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween, so I'll give that a go within a week's time.
I also have Horsemen, Orphan, The Last House On The Left (Wes Craven produced remake), Drag Me To Hell (Sam Raimi), Midnight Meat Train (Clive Barker), Audition, Zombi 2 (25th Anniversary Edition), From Beyond (Unrated Director's Edition), and The Sentinel (1977 horror film) on standby.

May be interested in seeing The Devil's Tomb (direct to DVD release with Cuba Gooding Jr.), Nature's Grave (starring Jim Caviezel, a remake of the Austrailian film 'Long Weekend'. Not sure if this is a "horror film" per say), Blood: The Last Vampire (a live-action remake of an anime), The Final Destination, and Halloween II (Rob Zombie). Also maybe be interested in seeing Possession (starring Sarah Michelle-Gellar) if and when it's ever released on DVD.

As for horror movies coming out in the near future there's The Fourth Kind starring Milla Jovovich coming November 6th. And as for 2010 there's Daybreakers, The Wolfman (remake of the classic), a reboot of Nightmare On Elm Street, Predators (a reboot), and also a reboot of Hellraiser (in 3D) sometime in the future.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:05 am

Once again my husband is watching horror movies all month so I've seen a bunch of them already. One that was really fun is Trick R Treat. It's an anthology movie with several segments that connect together well. It's not exactly scary but it's a great celebration of Halloween. We've been watching a lot of Val Lewton movies and The Seventh Victim and I Walked With a Zombie were both very good and atmospheric horror/suspense movies. Rec was good for a zombie movie and made me jump several times. Drag Me to Hell is a very fun movie in the spirit of an Evil Dead movie.

Avoid Dead Girl, it's really disturbing. Spirit Trap was just alright. Theater of Blood was interesting for the Shakespeare references but it's not a great film. Paranormal Activity scared me so badly that I couldn't sleep the night I saw it so I don't recommend that one either.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am

Forgot to add Lost Boys: The Tribe, which, for a straight-to-DVD release, was better than I had anticipated.

Saw the Hills Have Eyes remake this year or last, never bothered to see the sequel though.

Did anyone hear that they are doing a Poltergeist remake? Can't see how that could possibly go well. You can't make a better Poltergeist.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Movies