MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Overture Oversight Committee: Notice anything?

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Overture Oversight Committee: Notice anything?

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:41 pm

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2010/07/m ... enter/4483

ALD. TIM BRUER – District 14

ALD. LAUREN CNARE – District 3

ALD. MIKE VERVEER – District 4

MARK D. BUGHER

JAMES GARNER (CEO of Sergenian’s Floor Coverings, not Maverick)

DEIRDRE GARTON

WARREN ONKEN

PAUL SOGLIN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Verveer is the youngest person on this committee, right? And isn't one of the issues at Overture the inability to engage with non-traditional audiences, including the city's young people?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Overture Oversight Committee: Notice anything?

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Also,it would be great to see more women on the committee.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby mocofirst » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Also,it would be great to see more women on the committee.

Why? I'm sure women can screw this up just as bad as men. I think there should be more people on the committee that have some sort of knowledge of the arts/live entertainment business instead of politicians who know nothing about either.
mocofirst

Postby Athena » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Heck, I'd love to be on this committee. I can not understand how a facility that constantly has sold out or near sold out shows doesn't at least break even. Where does all the money from the over $100 opera seats go?
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby kicksville » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Notice anything about the consulting and "research" company Overture hired to come up with their proposals?

Not one single person at AMS Planning and Research has ANY research experience....AND they won't release their methodology so their findings can be independently verified (which is standard research practice).

If you come to the Ad Hoc Committee meeting tonight, you'll see what I mean. Never argue with an angry statistician if she has the facts on her side, that's all I'm sayin' :wink:
kicksville

Postby kicksville » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:08 am

And notice anything else?

Hmmm.... MCAD and 201 State Foundation threw a lot of money away, and now they don't want to have to give specific details as to where that $104 million went.

It's funny how so many people involved in that bungling are on the Ad Hoc Committee and pushing a plan that would protect themselves from oversight. I keep asking myself why these folks would be so hot for a plan that's pretty obviously going to fail. There has to be more to it than simply getting off on an ego/power trip....

Conrad St. Clair
kicksville

Postby dhpickell » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

The Mayor said that he was comfortable that this committee would ask tough questions. One committee member tried to do this last night, and was told that it wasn't part of the committee's charge to ask that question.

She was told that by the member of the evaluating committee who actually played a big part in writing the proposal they're claiming to evaluate.

I don't recall if that was before or after it was stated that there was no time to do due diligence on the proposal before them.

I can't help but wonder if the fact that they sat on the proposal for two months before releasing it, and have since spent every Ad Hoc Committee meeting thus far reviewing the various cheer-leading routines they've come up with, rather than actually analyzing the numbers, has anything to do with that statement.
dhpickell

Return to The Arts