MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Internet Only Wanted

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Internet Only Wanted

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm

A neighbor friend of mine wants to get internet only (without bundling). Do any companies out there do that?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Internet Only Wanted

Postby grimfees » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Charter does it. $24.99 per month for 3Mb connection. AT&T Uverse has the same speed connection for $19.99 per month. Both will try to sell you bundled services but they are not required.
grimfees

Postby Athena » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am

A lot of companies make it look like they only sell bundles, but they'll sell you internet only too. Don't pay for installation. For U-Verse you'll have to call AT&T but just tell them you don't want to pay their ridiculous installation charge and they'll take it off your bill. TDS may or may not be selling internet in their area but this varies by neighborhood.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 pm

I recently just got Uverse internet and nothing else. Their introductory offer was 19.99 for the first 12 months. It goes up after that, but it's not horrible. You do need to purchase the modem. For wireless it was about 100 bucks, but in the end, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than renting it from charter, which over a couple year period, adds up. I've had no problems with Uverse or ATT for that matter.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:02 pm

FYI: Haven't totally checked this out but I saw a commercial for NetZero internet tonight with no contracts and a variety of services including 4G access while you travel. I would never advise dial up anymore and was surprised to even see it listed. Read the details carefully. I have used NetZero in the past and they were good. So was Earthlink.

www.Netzero.com
www.Earthlink.com
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I recently just got Uverse internet and nothing else. Their introductory offer was 19.99 for the first 12 months. It goes up after that, but it's not horrible. You do need to purchase the modem. For wireless it was about 100 bucks, but in the end, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than renting it from charter, which over a couple year period, adds up. I've had no problems with Uverse or ATT for that matter.

Charter's new plans don't charge a modem rental fee. It's $50 the first month (install fee) and then $30 for the next 11. I think it jumps to $45 or $49 after a year - for 30mb/s internet.

I've been pleased so far.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Petro wrote:Charter's new plans don't charge a modem rental fee. It's $50 the first month (install fee) and then $30 for the next 11. I think it jumps to $45 or $49 after a year - for 30mb/s internet.

Some of that has changed since I did my research a while back. I was quoted closer to $70 for the regular price.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games