MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

4S, anyone?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: 4S, anyone?

Postby dave esmond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Dare I say...Seriously the 4s looks really nice. To those you with 3s looking to upgrade I'm a little jealous.

Sorry for all the threadcreep and whatnot.

As a geek the 4s is sorta meh to me. I was hoping for a 5. But we'll get there.

For me personally I'm excited that it looks like the 5 will be the badboy when it's time for me to upgrade. It'll be a tough choice for me.

I use Google navigate more then any other app and it's one of the two things I'd miss, and might even be my deal maker/breaker The other is a way to use the phone as a hard drive, and in that case I assume there's a way to make folders and use the iPhone as a drive pretty much like I do now.
Last edited by dave esmond on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 pm

I know this has been reported falsely before but.. Steve Jobs has died.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/05/apple-ann ... t=My+Yahoo
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 pm

A few people have remarked that updating the OS can be tricky with Android phones, or that you can wait a long time for an upgrade. This isn't important to me at all.

I have a Virgin Mobile smartphone running Android Froyo, with some custom VM stuff that I don't really use. I've read that a software update for this phone may be available by the end of the year, and I suppose if the carrier offers an upgrade, I'll take it. Still, maybe it's just because the phone (and the plan) are so inexpensive, but I'm happy with the phone as it is, and I can't think of anything I wish it did, or did better.

Probably I'll keep it for a couple of years and then get another one with whatever OS seems pertinent. But being able to upgrade the OS just for the sake of upgrading it isn't a big deal to me.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh, fuck.

Just got the Steve Jobs news.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm

dave esmond wrote:I use Google navigate more then any other app and it's one of the two things I'd miss, and might even be my deal maker/breaker The other is a way to use the phone as a hard drive, and in that case I assume there's a way to make folders and use the iPhone as a drive pretty much like I do now.

The iPhone has Maps/Navigation with Traffic as well. From comparing friend's phones to my Android handset, the quality of maps and directions seems to be nearly identical.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I know this has been reported falsely before but.. Steve Jobs has died.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/05/apple-ann ... t=My+Yahoo

Hence the slew of links in my post, as well. It's been faked a number of times. The links on Apple's site make it obvious that this time is sadly real.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:42 pm

anyone know if the case size of the 4S is the same at the 4?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:anyone know if the case size of the 4S is the same at the 4?

-Dan Motor

nevermind. my google-fu was lacking....

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/the-iph ... t-or-wait/

seems like the case for the iphone 4s is the same.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:49 pm

DONE! Well, kinda. Didn't think to update my old phone to iOS5 first, so I'm now half an hour in to a 4-hour update. S'OK, I've got chores to keep me occupied, but that 4S is just sitting there, taunting me.

Whoa, make that a 2-hour update. I know better than to trust those status numbers, but here's hoping the acceleration continues!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Picked up the 4S from the Verizon store yesterday I like that I can now dictate my posts
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Setup's done! Haven't Siried yet, but I plan to abuse that capability early and often.

The display difference, 3GS to 4S, is sick.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Hoping that a Restore from Backup of my 3GS will result in all my game progress being restored. If not: sad.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 am

4GS convinced me to make the jump from Android. I'm done with custom roms and hacks. I'm happy to have a phone that just works without me needing to track posts on xda.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Hoping that a Restore from Backup of my 3GS will result in all my game progress being restored. If not: sad.

This is what the AT&T store told me to do to get my phone into the state I wanted but it was really bad advice. Doing so deactivated Siri and other 4 / 4S exclusive features. I had to restore to factory settings (which meant another painful, repeatedly aborted download of the new iOS base) and then set things up manually. Doesn't seem like there was a way around it.

How did things go for you?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Worked perfectly. But--I might have guaranteed success by having updated my 3GS to iOS5 before getting the 4S.

I think the Restore from Backup is only supposed to touch apps, contacts, mail, things like that--and not the OS. I'm a little surprised that it would have killed Siri, even if your last backup dated back to the previous firmware or OS.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games