MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Email Spoofing

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Email Spoofing

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Apparently someone is using my personal email, pasted after their name, so it looks like I sent it. Nothing is being sent out of my sent box. I have an imac. I think the problem came from answering craigslist blind job ads. I did open a couple emails and found them to be spam, and did not click on the links. Now I've received one "stop sending me emails" (which I have not opened.) I'm pissed because I receive automatic bills and hate the idea of having to change all that. Also, I'm concerned about security and indentity theft. TDS said just delete them. Apple says don't open them. I'm going through a high-stress job situation. Can anyone help?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Email Spoofing

Postby Scotty » Wed May 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby donges » Wed May 06, 2009 1:05 pm

This is not necessarily the work of a virus as the link was saying.
You probably have been joe-jobbed (which is not nearly as much fun as it may sound).
Basically, a spammer has latched onto your email address as a return address and is sending spam from one or more systems that way. So, when it gets bounced at certain email servers or clients, you get the notification (since it your email address that is being used).
You've done nothing wrong and there is really nothing you can do except delete them.
The traffic should die down in a day or so.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Yep. When I was part of a family tree, with paid aol email, I had to split off. I found things being sent out of my "send" box. If aol hadn't gone free, I would have gotten a different yahoo account or what ever. Also, I'm considering getting a different email for specific purposes and avoiding blind craigslist ads. I'd like to get vengeance but that's probably futile.

One of the emails, I copied and pasted a link and it leads to a site instructing how to avoid spam blockers.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 06, 2009 2:38 pm

This happens to everyone at some point, and getting a new email address will only delay it for a while before the new one is used for a return address.

You don't have to be infected or visit any questionable sites for this to happen. It can happen when a trusted someone you've corresponded with via email in the past gets their system infected. Many viruses/worms/trojans will scour the computer for any email addresses (from address books, email text, any files whatsoever) and then send that information to a third party for spam purposes.

It's happened to me and everyone I work with multiple times over the years. As far as I know, the only course is to wait it out and delete the bounce messages.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed May 06, 2009 7:14 pm

ilikebeans wrote:This happens to everyone at some point, and getting a new email address will only delay it for a while before the new one is used for a return address.
Really? I've had the same e-mail address since 1992 and it's never happened to me.

One small measure you can take is to install good anti-virus software such as Sophos. Another is to be sure you disable the display of remote images in the event you receive HTML mail. These are commonly used to confirm that a recipient has received a given message – just what a spammer wants to know.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 am

fennel wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:This happens to everyone at some point, and getting a new email address will only delay it for a while before the new one is used for a return address.
Really? I've had the same e-mail address since 1992 and it's never happened to me.

One small measure you can take is to install good anti-virus software such as Sophos. Another is to be sure you disable the display of remote images in the event you receive HTML mail. These are commonly used to confirm that a recipient has received a given message – just what a spammer wants to know.

All of these are good ideas, absolutely. However, this doesn't prevent having your correspondents' computers compromised, which is where (my belief, hard to get data on this) most of the spam and return-address spam comes from.

Congrats on having a pure email address for the past 17 years. You might be the only one-- contact Guinness.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games