MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Super Mario Galaxy

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Super Mario Galaxy

Postby MadMind » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Super Mario Galaxy
Release Date: November 12, 2007

With it's release date only a little over a month away, curiously, there's been very little media/press of the game (much like Halo 3).
Will Shigeru Miyamoto's Super Mario Galaxy be what the innovative Mario 64 (arguably the greatest console launch title of all time) was for the N64? Or should we all be lowering our expectations?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Gamespot's Super Mario Galaxy Launch Center

From trailers of SMG, the game looks dizzying. The graphics style looks more simplistic and less detailed than I would have hoped.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm reading nothing but glowing reviews. My expectations are high. Its hard for me to say "best game ever" or even game of the year when so much opther fantastic stuff has been out already and more on the way... but I have a feeling this is going to be money well spent. I do my research before buying games, so buyers remorse is not something I fall into unless I let the hype machine fool me (Enter The Matrix... ugh)

i put in my pre-order at Toys R Us, they're offering a $25 gift card just for buying the game, which is staggering. great value and I can then buy another game right off the bat for cheap.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Gamespot's Review is in!
"If ever there were a must-own Wii game, Super Mario Galaxy is it."
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Going to TRU tonight to pre-order.

Watched the video review on gamespot and immediately wanted the game.

I have heard rumors that you will have to get there early for the $25 gift card, because they are only giving out so many. Obviously it's because the giveaway is a promotion, there's no way they actually will run out of gift cards.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:04 pm

I plan on being there when the store opens on monday to claim mine (and that goofy coin).

Ah sweet november... too many games. Assassin's Creed comes out next week too, and I still haven't picked up Orange Box, haven't unlocked all the songs in Guitar Hero III, and still missing some Halo achievements.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Mario Then And Now
Visually, is Super Mario Galaxy an improvement over Super Mario Sunshine?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:39 pm

I don't care if it doesn't offer a visual improvement over Donkey Kong, the game is incredible.

that said, the lighting does make the the game look worlds better than Sunshine.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Played a bit before work this morning, getting all the way to 50 stars (out of 120) and I'm really impressed at the creativity and pace. I'd forgotten what fun a big Nintendo game can be.

Unlike Metroid Prime or Zelda, you're not tied to the game for 60-90 minutes at a time to complete a goal (stopping in mid dungeon in Zelda can be taxing if you don't go back soon since I forget what I'm doing and end up goin through the whole thing again). Mario you can jump in and unless the level is very difficult (like a boss) or requires some advanced skill you've just learned, most goals are about 10 minutes max. You return and save and you can put the game down. Of course I tend to schedule longer play sessions than that, but I can multi task and stop at any time since I'll never be more than 10 minutes into a goal.

I refuse to give the Wii credit for its motion control gimmick and prefer to not imply that this game would be better on another system. But I will say this: Nintendo has another perfect game. Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, and now Mario Galaxy are the ideal 3D perfections of Link To The Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario Bros 3.

Unlike movies where the third time around is crap, Nintendo seems to thrive on 3s.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games