MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Basic Cell Phone and coverage?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Just to throw in the ATT GoPhone prepaid plan is available as a monthly automatic withdrawal and gives you free night/weekend minutes last I checked. I had it for quite some time just because of that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:54 pm

I did get a Trak Fone at Walgreens because I anticipated being incommunicado during my move. I was a little stressed, so I called in for set-up help and they were very good to me. I needed an emergency cell anyways. Mostly, I called my voicemail and work.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Basic Cell Phone and coverage?

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Here is a good prepaid (pay as you go) site with comparisons:

http://www.cellguru.net/index.htm
http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_hybrid_compare.htm

I have had AT&T (was cingular) pay-as-you-go (no contracts) for almost 3 yrs and it has worked well. I only have to buy $25 airtime every 3 months, which is only $8.33 per month. I pay 25 cents per minute so get 100 minutes every 3 months, or 33 minutes per month, which is more than I need. They have another plan which is 10 cents per minute but has a $1 daily fee, so avoid that. I love pay as you because there is no contract, but the coverage area is only urban areas (Madison, Milwaukee, etc).

The rates and coverage areas for all the prepaid services (AT&T, Virgin, Tracfone, etc) are similar but I chose AT&T because they many stores for when I have questions, and they have the best phones. I recently upgraded to the Nokia 6085 which is a great phone and only cost $40 for a refurb on the web:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... 85+(Refurb)+-+GoPhone%C2%AE+(Pay+As+You+Go)&q_sku=sku1090026

You can try it for 30 days and return it for a refund if you don't like it, but you need to buy airtime.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ralser » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:40 pm

We use T-mobile with no problems, a standard plan ($20 for 75min, 500 weekend) and a pay as you go. They both include free roaming and long distance (needed for Madison). Reception is reasonably most places I've been (except for west side of hawkes Landing).
ralser

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Tracfone is still available and reception is OK most places in Madison with a few odd exceptions.

Walgreens sells the cards to get additional minutes. Right now they make you add a $19.99 card every three months to keep your acct current. I can't remember how many minutes it is, because I never use them all up.

I threw the phone down the stairs by accident and it still works fine.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games