MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Have your eyes gone to shit yet?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Have your eyes gone to shit yet?

Postby pattymcnutt » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Terrible eyesight runs in my family- on both sides- so I never had a chance. Got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade, even had bifocals for a while in middle school (awesome age to have giant coke bottle bifocals) but only needed those for a year. Got contacts in 8th grade and wore those mostly up until 5 years ago when my eyes just couldn't tolerate them anymore, so I've been back to glasses since then. Now, at 33, my eyesight is bad enough that I wouldn't make it more than 5 feet without my glasses. My last visit to the Dr. might be the first time EVER that my eyesight hasn't deteriorated since the last visit.

My dear fiance on the other hand, is 35 and just a couple of months ago started to notice that he was getting headaches from reading, so I dragged him to my trusty eye doctor (his first trip to see an eye doctor EVER). The doctor set him up with some glasses that to me are a hilariously low prescription and then gave him a lecture and told him that he will never be able to fully understand what life is like for me not being able to see. Then he turned to me and said "and if you two have children....let's just hope they get his genes for eyesight."

Since then, my betrothed has been going around telling people that he recently found out he suffers from this debilitating condition called "astigmatism" and that he wants to hold a star-studded telethon to find a cure.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am

Oh please let that star-studded cast sing a great big song.

The punkywuvins band I'm in has a song called "Ism", for which our quick-lip equipped singer has rattled off myriad types of isms through the years (& pre-choruses) ... not once did I hear him say "astigmatism".
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 am

Right on schedule, per my cousin the ophthalmologist, in my early 40s I started using the reading magnifiers. I just visited him a couple of months ago to make sure I'm deteriorating at an appropriate rate and I'm actually doing pretty good. According to him, if I'm only in need of magnifiers at the 1.5 to 1.75 range, then I'm doing really well.

Took the other half with me because he had not had an eye exam for several years and unbeknown to me, he had simply stopped wearing his contacts. He can read just fine without glasses, but needs some correction for distance. I had noticed for a while that when he was driving, he would tend to practically be crawling up into the semi before he thought he needed to pull around and pass. Ditto for any vehicle really - he was within just a few yards before he was making any moves to go around. And he also couldn't seem to adequately judge how far behind another vehicle was - he would have plenty of room to move into another lane, but would wait til the other vehicle had passed, meanwhile continuing to get closer to the one right in front of us. My relief was great when my cousin told him he needed glasses for distance and he should wear them when driving. And then I refrained from saying, "told you so" when my beloved commented "how much clearer" things are when he's driving now. Whew.

So I take a huge grain of salt when people in their 50s & 60s say that they still don't have glasses and are doing just fine. It is usually a very gradual change and believe me, the rest of us notice that you really aren't doing as well as you did in your 20s & 30s, you just don't want to admit it. Is there the odd 50 - 60 something individual whose eyesight is still 20-20? Sure, but not nearly as many as those who think they still have perfect vision. Funny how many who say that also don't have any kind of legitimate ophtho exam to back it up either.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Bdog,
To answer your question: I am headed towards shit.
Thanks for asking, ya bast'd!!!
MH

good night
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All