Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee Makers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Coffee Makers

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

Is it coffee maker or coffeemaker?

Anyway, I just tossed my third Cuisinart in the junk. I like them but the self-clean stops working right after 2 years and then the coffee gets bitter within a year. So I went to Blood Bath & Beyond last night determined to try something new and came home with a Bunn Velocity Brew. I made the decision kind of quick and didn't notice that the machine has a 2-part reservoir and basically keeps a pots worth of water at 200 degrees all the time, just waiting for you to want coffee. It also seems difficult or impossible to make less than a full pot.

This seems like a silly waste of energy to me so I'm taking it back and probably signing up for another 30 months with Cuisinart unless anybody has a stellar recommendation. I was looking at the Kitchenaids they sell at Target. They have a removable water tank which seemed nice for cleaning.

Dad has a 30 year old electric percolator pot, still going strong.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coffee Makers

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am

I use a plastic cone and hot water. Thing about the plastic cone is that unlike drip coffee machines, you can tell that it's clean. I worry about what's going on inside drip coffee machines.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am

I've been replacing relatively high-end Mr. Coffee machines at an accelerating pace for the last few years. We got about a year and a half out of the last one, and at the price ($125-150), I'm disappointed. I like my coffee very strong, so maybe Mr. Coffee is disappointed in the way I use him, but I've faithfully bought coffee machines that have a brew control for the strength. Still I probably overfill the basket fairly regularly. I like the results to be approximately EVP-strength and the Mr. Coffees seem not to be up to the challenge. Mrs. Scratch doesn't necessarily like her coffee quite as strong as I do, so this month we bought a French press and a cheap, basic Black & Decker. So far both are out-performing the last few Mr. Coffees and I'm relatively happy. There's not much in the French press to malfunction, and if I overwhelm the Black & Decker, it'll only cost another $20-30 to replace it. And like Kenneth mentioned about his method, the French press is extremely easy to keep clean.

I was probably persuaded at least in part by identifying the Black & Decker name with power tools...
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 am

I use a french press at home. It is easy to control the brew by adjusting the grind or time or both. Also, as mentioned above, very easy to keep clean.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 am

You can always buy one of these.

If you haven't seen how they work, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLcD5051s8

Apparently they make a stellar cup of coffee. I believe Bradbury's near the square brews coffee with some of these. I've never used one but always wanted one.

That said, I also have the Cuisinart coffee pot. It's a burr grinder and coffee maker built in one. I will have to say, I love having the two built into one, and it makes a pretty damn good cup of coffee. You can easily control the amount of beans you want ground and also the strength. I have to be vigilant running vinegar through it, but I think this goes for any coffee pot. I've had it for a couple years and it can be glitchy at times by shutting off during brewing. I just start it back up and it's good to go.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:29 am

Save your money. All you need is a pint ale glass, a tea kettle for boiling water, a bamboo chopstick, and high quality well-roasted beans, ground extra fine. 1. bring water to boil, turn off burner 2. put 2 scoops of ground beans in pint glass, 3. fill halfway with hot water and stir with bamboo chopstick, 4. (optional) add cream and or sugar, 5. top off with hot water and give it all another stir, 6. allow grounds to settle and brew to cool just enough to, 7. enjoy!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:35 am

jhain wrote:I use a french press at home. It is easy to control the brew by adjusting the grind or time or both. Also, as mentioned above, very easy to keep clean.

I got one of these for Christmas a few years back. It's great for camping or if you don't want to make a full pot.

http://www.rei.com/product/792857/rei-d ... 1b2166c62d
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 am

We both prefer drip to french press. We've tried and tried and can't get coffee we like out of the press. I understand, those of you who love the press will now give me tips and tricks. Save your typing fingers. Ain't gonna make a difference. We prefer the drip.

The only feature we must have is an insulated carafe instead of a heater. Which makes it a bit of a task to find one when the old one gives out. We think we got somewhere around four or five years out of the last one. This one is less than a year old.

For camping I bought one of these. Really like it. Used it in the kitchen while we were between coffee makers and outside of the extra time it takes, it was just fine.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 am

We're using a French press in the interim and I'm not a fan. While cleaning it isn't a difficult task, it's definitely a pain in the ass with the 4-part filter and coffee grounds all over the place. Only makes 2 cups and I don't like the taste. No thanks.

Stebben84 wrote:You can always buy one of these.

I think that's basically a percolator, like my dad's ancient machine. I'm curious about them but not enough to buy one.

While I share Kenneth's concern about cleanliness, I think I'm hooked on the ease of use and simple daily clean-up of the drip machines. The Bunn I bought and the Mr. Coffees have the flat-bottomed baskets as opposed to the cone shaped ones. Any opinions on the differences there?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 am

I'm a coffee drinker but the wife isn't. We used to avoid using our coffee maker because whatever didn't fit in my two travel mugs usually was poured out at the end of the day.

Our morning routine used to involve me starting the teapot for hot water before showering and them making a smaller pot in the French press. However, I started seeing a fair amount of research about unfiltered coffee attributed to higher cholesterol. I can't remember the specifics, but it had to do with the liver having a hard time processing some oils in unfiltered coffee which kept it from processing cholesterol properly. One of the articles here: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/#.UREuvR25N8E

The cholesterol issues aside, I also started getting sick of the procedure of the French press every damn day. I want my coffee to be ready when I finally make the zombie lurch downstairs to leave for work. We have a Gevalia "freebie" coffee maker in use right now. Its one of the ones they give you a free coffee maker when you buy the mail order coffee. The Coffee maker is still going strong 5 years after we cancelled the coffee club membership. As far as maintenance I rinse out the pot and the filter compartment every day, then on the weekend in run a couple of pots of vinegar and water through it and wash the pot in the dishwasher. Like I said 5 years and the fucker won't die. I even have 2 extra Mr. Coffee makers in the basement waiting to step up, but so far there hasn't been a reason to replace it. The only thing I don’t like about it is the use of “cone” style filters rather than the dirt cheap regular ones.

I now reserve the French press for Sundays when I make breakfast.

As an aside, we were at Savers on the east side on Saturday and they have our exact coffee maker in the small appliance aisle for 6 bucks. Its used and needs a thorough cleaning -- but it might be worth a shot.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 am

I have a Hamilton Beach I bought at Farm & Fleet on Stoughton Road about fifteen years ago. $11 well spent--as long as the beans and water that go in are good quality, the coffee that comes out tastes great.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Farberware "Super-Fast" electric percolator

Brews FAST, easy cleanup.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 pm

ImageAnd this old guy goes camping.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 pm

I received this as a gift about 5 years ago and I am now hooked on cold brew coffee.

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

The cold brew is much easier for iced coffee when its hot outside, otherwise I boil water in a kettle and mix it with the coffee "concentrate".
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote: then on the weekend in run a couple of pots of vinegar and water through it and wash the pot in the dishwasher.

EVery weekend? That's probably the secret to the longevity but I know there's no way I'm going to remember, let alone want, to do that weekly. The Cuisinart has a light that comes on telling you it needs cleaning and of course I do it about a week later. The cleaning mode runs the mixture through very slowly and on all 3 machines it has stopped working after 2 years. It shuts down after a couple minutes and you have to finish on the normal brew setting, which doesn't work so well.

I've taken apart the old ones and the heating tube is always full of hard water deposits. On this last one I let straight vinegar sit in the tube for hours but it wouldn't break down. I put it back together and the vinegar-soaked calcium brewed some nasty tasting joe. So I guess using non-tap water would help, but now convenience is going out the door. Fucking first world problems.

So now I'm packing up the Bunn for the return. I really had a feeling it was going to make great coffee but I just can't abide that 24/7 hot water feature.... but I guess it's really no different than the water heater in the basement.

Hmm.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All