MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Looking for lost friend

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Looking for lost friend

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:04 pm

I've had a "When Harry Met Sally" friendship for over 40 years. We've always stayed in touch. This past year my letters to him have been returned with "No forwarding address" on them. He still sends me letters but there's no return address. You'd think he's wonder why I'm not replying. I paid for new address info. from one of those online people finder services, but still can't get a current address. Phone numbers have been disconnected. I know the guy is still alive and he went to UW here. He lives in Florida. Any advice on how to find him?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Looking for lost friend

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Facebook / Google if his name is unique enough (John Smith will never be found). Google his name plus any identifying items like place of work, organization, etc. County records might have property data if he owns his home.

White pages, Intellus and similar "people finding" services provide mixed results.

If all else fails, hire Thomas Magnum.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:49 pm

There should be a postal stamp on his letters from wherever he mailed them. Google that locale with his name?

Send a threatening letter to the white house and sign his name. Then visit him in prison.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:There should be a postal stamp on his letters from wherever he mailed them. Google that locale with his name?

That's very good ... or even google his name with zip code.

narcoleptish wrote:Send a threatening letter to the white house and sign his name. Then visit him in prison.

Last resort, but guaranteed results.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Maybe there is some reason he does not want you to know exactly where he is. No reflection on you -- he could have some very good personal reason.

I'd let it be. When a friend of mine from 40+ years contacted me, I learned he had become a crack addict. Not something you'd want to follow up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Was he married before? Maybe he is now and still wants to be friends but can't have his wife see the letters. Just a thought.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:15 pm

He's homeless.

Maybe you will see a return address when he gets back on his feet.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm

He's 64. I know because we have the same birthday. He could be drawing a good social security check. When I was between marriages I did not look him up. But I ran into him at Memorial Union, the same place we met. He sends me letters that have no personal observations at all. He sends me his written version of documentaries he's watched. He called me a few years ago, after my last divorce and said that so many people he knew have died, that he wanted to talk to me. It has occurred to me that he may be mentally ill. (But why would he send me letters with synopsis and lots of greeting cards?) I tried google with no better luck. Maybe Sno is right.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All