MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Am I a racist if.........

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Am I a racist if.........

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm

jasonx5 wrote:You do understand you are asking a lot of a group that largely agreed with cancelling school for 4 days to go scream chants at the Capitol for being forced to pay more for their own health and retirement?

You do know that's an oversimplification (bordering on the absurd) of why those hard-working folks were protesting, right? For being forced to pay more for health insurance? Not quite. Dig deeper, jasonx5. I have more faith in humanity, I guess.
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 pm

city2countrygal wrote:You do know that's an oversimplification (bordering on the absurd)

Bordering? What's bordering about it? That's the kind of reasoning you get from fourth graders.

Well, from the ones who should have done third grade over.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 am

city2countrygal wrote:Agreed to hate the greed. But how to actually do something about it? [The control capitalism has on our country.] Are you willing to give up your iPod, or pay more for it?

I'd pay more for it. And I don't need the next latest version every time one comes out. Who is with me? Conscientious consumerism?

I still use a 2nd gen iPod nano in my car.

Just don't ask me what I'll do with my iPhone 4S when the 5 ships.

Apple's a very poor example, though. Their profit margins are already ludicrously high and no one cares. It's a sad situation when everyone else offers such piss-poor competition that people knowingly overpay for a satisfying experience with a product. (Apple has 9% of the worldwide phone market, yet makes 75% of all profits.)

I spent more than a year with an Android 2.x handset (HTC EVO) when it was the best thing Android had to offer. The only thing I miss since making the jump to iOS is the stock android navigation.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 am

I'd pay a penny more to save a fish who thinks.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:27 am

wack wack wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Greed and collusion give capitalism a bad name for sure, but what different system would people prefer? Greed's not going anywhere.

Capitalism with significant regulation. Let the collective mind defeat what individual desire can't.

I'm for this and free market people hate hearing that, especially from someone who takes part in it (capitalism) but because of the greed, it's the only way. Unfortunately because of the greed, it often doesn't work. The SEC is in charge of the regulation of Wall St. It takes the best financial and legal minds to monitor and sufficiently regulate Wall St. Everybody wants these best minds working for them. Who do you think pays the best?

If you can read this article without becoming completely dejected about the system, you're a better optimist than I.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... l-20110216

city2countrygal wrote:
Agreed to hate the greed. But how to actually do something about it? [The control capitalism has on our country.] Are you willing to give up your iPod, or pay more for it?

Well, you're asking the wrong guy since the only Apple thing I have is this laptop but I do routinely pay more for things made in our country. That doesn't mean I'm not sponsoring corporate greed, I mean who knows who owns what these days. You can do your research before you buy anything but that's your time and many people, myself included, are greedy with that.

So it's everywhere and I don't have the answer. Between trying to pay my bills, finding my own direction in life, and struggling to keep my parents out of a nursing home, the time I have to try to change a world that might not even want to change, is in short supply.

Sorry to pile on the threadjack, but really what were we jacking?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 am

rabble wrote:
city2countrygal wrote:You do know that's an oversimplification (bordering on the absurd)

Bordering? What's bordering about it? That's the kind of reasoning you get from fourth graders.

Imagine that, more insults from your type. Does this tactic make your wee wee look bigger in the mirror?
Thats right I forgot to mention they were expected to do it by their union representation as well as their peers. Care to deny?
Are there other reasons?
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 am

jasonx5 wrote:
rabble wrote:

Imagine that, more insults from your type. Does this tactic make your wee wee look bigger in the mirror?
Thats right I forgot to mention they were expected to do it by their union representation as well as their peers. Care to deny?
Are there other reasons?

Oh, fuck off kid. That question's been answered dozens of times in dozens of threads, most of which you were trolling in. If you can't read, that's your own fucking problem.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:23 am

Rabble,
I'll take your additional insults as a "NO" as to your willingness or ability suggest additional reasons teachers were cancelling school to go scream chants at the Capitol.
Nuff said!
Back on topic......
Is it racist for a school system to only graduate 47% of black students when 87%(?) of White students graduate?
Could these #'s suggest that teachers might me racist?
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Catch All