MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Hacked email question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Hacked email question

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Let's say I got one of those weird emails with just a random title and an attachment. Let's say that even though I know to avoid these, that this was the first one from someone I recognized (who was hacked) and without thinking I opened the attachment. We'll say this because that's what I did. This was in Gmail and my question is, was I any safer using the "view" function instead of the "download" function, because I just always use the view.

Thanks for any info.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hacked email question

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I believe "view" opens it, so no. Change all of your passwords like right now, preferably from a different computer. Run a good anti-virus scan on that computer.

Were you on a Mac or PC when you did this? Macs are not invulnerable to this kind of threat, but still much much safer.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Let's say I got one of those weird emails with just a random title and an attachment. Let's say that even though I know to avoid these, that this was the first one from someone I recognized (who was hacked) and without thinking I opened the attachment. We'll say this because that's what I did. This was in Gmail and my question is, was I any safer using the "view" function instead of the "download" function, because I just always use the view.

Thanks for any info.

If you opened the attachment, you are probably just as hacked as the sender was.
But a lot depends on what kind of file it was, what the payload might be.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks. I'm on a mac. I had already reset passwords but I did it from this computer. I feel like my bank account is probably already empty, but of course I don't dare check online. Good times.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Thanks. I'm on a mac. I had already reset passwords but I did it from this computer. I feel like my bank account is probably already empty, but of course I don't dare check online. Good times.

Quick. Call your bank. Now.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Thanks. I'm on a mac. I had already reset passwords but I did it from this computer. I feel like my bank account is probably already empty, but of course I don't dare check online. Good times.

Quick. Call your bank. Now.

Holy shit, call your family and make sure they haven't been assassinated. Jebus, run some good antivirus software. You prolly shouldn't have changed passwords with that computer. You prolly didn't need to change them to begin with unless you have them physically stored on your computer or used said website after opening the attachment.

We gots some paranoid people around here. I got the zeroaccess rootkit and it was a fucking doosey. Took me weeks to get rid of it, but I did. It's one of the nastiest out there. Guess what. Everything is fine.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:34 pm

If narcoleptish is worried that the hackers have emptied his bank account and he is afraid to check on his possibly compromised computer, wouldn't it be prudent for him to call his bank to see if his fears have been realized?

Or is that just paranoia on his part?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Even if they emptied the account which is HIGHLY unlikely, you'll get the money back.

Now quick, make sure they didn't steal the baby out of a family member's womb. Now.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:50 pm

You are right. He should have stewed about it all night and then called his bank in the morning.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm

What type of file was attached? Did you use gmail's baked-in viewer? (As opposed to say, pulling gmail using outlook and using the preview pane.)
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Petro wrote:What type of file was attached? Did you use gmail's baked-in viewer? (As opposed to say, pulling gmail using outlook and using the preview pane.)

I clicked on the little "view" link next to the attachment. Is that the baked-in one? I changed the email passwords, not the bank. Those aren't saved on the computer. I appreciate the help but 95% of it goes over my head. It's probably fine.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I think you don't need to worry. You didn't run an executable. I think that using the google 'view' which converts the file to a .png picture over at google's servers, is a safer way to check out an attachment. Plus you are using a mac and most malware is windows specific. Opening a data file can't infect your system anyways unless the software at your end contains some sort of buffer overrun vulnerability, etc. Those type of vulnerabilities are much rarer these days.

Relax, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:33 pm

That's what I was trying to say, but I was kinda being a dick about it. If you do have a nasty virus run combofix. If you need more advice post and I'll be happy to help. I've had a couple shitty viruses and got rid of them myself without paying someone to do it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 am

If you're on a Mac, chances are (95%) there's no problem. Virus/trojan/malware writers still target Windows because it has the largest market share. Not that you aren't immune.

If you're still seeing surprise advertisements, popup windows, whatever (unlikely), then yeah, you have a problem. Time to search for "mac virus" and go from there.

For PC users, download, update, and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Reboot, and run it again. When it comes up empty, you're likely good. Do this even if you think you're clean.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:08 am

Not that I really know what I'm looking for, but everything seems fine. No pop-ups, no freeze-ups, no cough or fever. Of course there are now 2 bites out of that apple up in the corner, but that's probably nothing.

It was a pdf...btw.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All