MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

How early is it OK to start mowing the lawn?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: How early is it OK to start mowing the lawn?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
barney wrote:Spirals can start on the outside and work in too (that's what I do)

Technically no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral. But it's a yard and I don't think the neighbors are gonna quibble over mathematics.

Not to mention that unless they see you in action, I can't imagine how they could tell from just looking at the lawn which direction you "spiraled" when you mowed it.

Given how silly I think lawn grass is in general, I think consciously mowing patterns in it takes it to a whole extra level of goofy. But whatever. I'm sure my neighbor (who is outside mowing for the second time this week as I type this, and yes, he makes perfect diagonal lines) probably thinks posting on Internet forums is a waste of time.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:Even some professional landscapers offer an option to have your yard work done with minimal carbon-based power input. I know, a leaf blower is one itty-bitty thing. But doesn't anybody think about home energy usage when doing this kind of routine maintenance?

I hate lecturing, but this one is so darn easy.

Thanks for bringing this up. I feel the same way and I am a bit surprised more people with smaller yards do not at least consider a push / reel mower. Some of the newer ones have come a long way in design and efficiency.

I bougth this in the spring to replace a more traditional one I used for the past 6 years. http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... HEQ8wIwAg#

It is almost as easy to use as push mower with a motor, never needs gas, gives you a little more exercise. And you can mow your lawn at whatever time you want. Grab a headlamp and cut the grass in the dark.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: toes. When I was a kid, our Craftsman push mower required standing on the blade deck and yanking a chord attached to the engine. I have to believe that a misstep would put one's foot just under the edge. These days, of course, all mowers have a kill switch attached to the handle and the chord has been extended to there. The kill switch gets stuck on mine, so it stays on when I go to get a sip or something and I'm a little wary of it chasing me across the yard.

Re: leaf blowers. I have one and use it to clean out our gutters, the garage and to dispose of the 18 zillion seeds, petals and other gunk dropped by the numerous trees on the property. A broom would work, but would take 10 times as long. Sometimes I use the broom when I want to listen to music and be contemplative. But often I'm in a hurry to, y'know, not be sweeping, so I use the leaf blower. It's electric, but plenty loud. I limit this activity to the middle of the day, however.

Re: lawnsanity. Can we talk about edgers now? When I moved into my neighborhood, I noticed that many of my neighbors edged their lawns, so I bought one of those manual, circular edgers from the hardware store. I then realized how much of a hassle it is to edge your lawn if it hasn't been edged before. DON'T DO IT! I think once you edge it with a power implement, you can just maintain it with these medieval devices, but going from un-edged to edged takes a long time and a lot of back/forth with that thing. It'll drive you insane. And for what? So your lush lawn terminates at a cliff? Sure, it looks nice and neat, but it also labels you as some kind of perfectionist.

Thankfully, as youngsters move into my neighborhood, the compulsion to edge has diminished.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:Re: leaf blowers. I have one and use it to clean out our gutters, the garage and to dispose of the 18 zillion seeds, petals and other gunk dropped by the numerous trees on the property.

Despite posting the leaf blower song earlier, I use an electric one for the gutters fairly frequently. Waaaay more efficient than anything manual, as long as the gunk isn't wet and piled up.

Incidentally, I remember posting this a year ago or so, but keeping my gutters clean has been the single most effective measure I've taken to cut down on earwig infestations. If even a small pile accumulates and stays damp, when I clean it out baby and teenager earwigs can be seen scrambling for cover. Yes, I've got some large trees overhanging the roof. Thinking of investing in gutter guards.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Same here. I've seen some nice ones, pretty flexible, that just snap on top.

I bought a pair of elbow-long heavy-duty rubber gloves just for cleaning the "gutts," as I call them. But I drastically prefer blowing them out, for obvious reasons.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Glad to see someone likes the Fiskars push mower (linked above). After lots of online research I finally bought the somewhat cheaper Brill but both got good reviews.

I bought the floor model at Ace last year for a slight discount and I love that thing. I still have a backup old Sears push mower but I haven't touched it since I got sweet baby Brill. Highly recommended -- excellent engineering, very light to push, does as good a job as any other push mower.

I second the earwig-gutter thing. Took me a while to figure out.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:Same here. I've seen some nice ones, pretty flexible, that just snap on top.

FYI, Consumer Reports tested gutter guards in the Sept. 2010 issue.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 pm

eriedasch wrote:I bougth this in the spring to replace a more traditional one I used for the past 6 years. http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... HEQ8wIwAg#

StaySharp cutting system cuts grass without blades touching, which reduces blade wear.

No blades touching? How does it cut?
A: Poorly! *ba dum bump!*
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:52 pm

After a mow, I take a stroll with the mower down the sidewalk to blow the clippings off.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Given how silly I think lawn grass is in general...

On this point we can totally agree.

Stop me if I've told this story before, as I'm an old fart and I've posted a lot...

I tore out all my grass lawn: backyard, sides and front, including the terrace (or whatever you call it). Mostly perennials now. Fifty years of mowing grass was enough. And all with a push mower. Started as a kid. It was part of my ten cent a week allowance.

I finally gave away my dad's mower (yes, I inherited it after he went to gas) to my youngest brother. Good riddance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:38 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
StaySharp cutting system cuts grass without blades touching, which reduces blade wear.

No blades touching? How does it cut?
A: Poorly! *ba dum bump!*

If it's like the Brill, the whirly blades whirl past the stationary blade without touching it but closer than the thickness of a blade of grass.

Bada bing.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 pm

10 AM. Show a little consideration for the lazy and nocturnal.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm

I'll never forget this lawn mowing moment, circa 1971. When I was a kid, my father had an Indian (asian) surgeon over for a visit to the states. On a rare day off from the OR, dad piles us kids and said chap into the Vista Cruiser and we drive into Washington, DC. Suddenly, the Indian chap starts clamoring for my dad to stop the car, stop the car. He jumps out with his camera and starts photographing a man on a rider mower! After he returns to the car, he smiles and says "Where I live we have goats to trim the grass. My colleagues won't believe this!"

We went and visited him In India in 1987. Dude wasn't lying!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 pm

"Where I live we have goats to trim the grass. My colleagues won't believe this!"

Did you then take him to Al Johnson's?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:15 am

Use the leaf blower for gutters - works well, except for this year when things were dry and the gunk hardened into shingles.

Also use it for garage/driveway/sidewalk cleaning on occasion. Don't think I ruin anyone's tranquility, as we are on a pretty busy street, and also have neighbors behind us that regularly us "MF" every other word when they are fighting or partying. I would prefer a leaf blower.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All