MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Doppelganger

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Doppelganger

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm

It's been a while since it last happened, but I think I just saw myself walk down the street. Soon after I arrived on campus in '89, I'd have friends incensed with me for seemingly snubbing them while out and about. I'd assure them that I hadn't been anywhere near the chance encounter; I'm a redhead and always chalked it up to them thinking we all look alike. About 7 years ago, though, I was walking down Pinckney and looked across the street, only to be greeted by a mirror image. A few months later, my sister stumbled across the same guy smoking a cigarette and came within inches of making an ass out of herself for chastising "me" for such behavior. The resemblance was scary.

Anyone else have a twin out there?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Doppelganger

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Yes, here's mine.
Last edited by Ned Flanders on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Just to clarify, Ned's twin is in the lower right corner of the above picture.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:55 pm

My dad has a doppelganger who lives in a nearby neighborhood, favors the same kind of hats, has the same less-than-perfect dental work, works in a similar field and had kids in school around the same time as my brother. People are constantly calling, "Hey, [Bill]!" and he'll say, "No, I'm actually [Bob]..." and vice versa. We like to refer to him as Other Dad. I've been at events, knowing without a doubt that my dad is in another country, when Other Dad walks in with some woman and I get all miffed that it isn't my mom. We've taken pictures of them together. It's CREEPY.

Of course, that's not as inconvenient for me as the fact that our least favorite substitute in middle school closely resembled my mom. I never heard the end of that.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Yes, here's mine.

We all know how Ned likes to embellish, here's the actual Ned doppelganger and the likeness is uncanny...

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 pm

For some reason everyone wants to call me Greg.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 pm

boston_jeff wrote:For some reason everyone wants to call me Greg.

Actually, some people want to call you another name.

Don't get defensive, it's a joke, you set it up, I couldn't resist.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 am

white_rabbit wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:For some reason everyone wants to call me Greg.

Actually, some people want to call you another name.

coastie_jeff?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 am

O.J. wrote:It's been a while since it last happened, but I think I just saw myself walk down the street.

A couple of years ago I was riding the #4 bus down Odana on the way to work when this guy got on. He looked exactly what I imagine I'll look like about ten years from now. Hair very similar but a bit more gray. Face also very similar, just a bit more lined. Slightly heavier overall. Clothes that look like they came out of my closet.

The resemblance was really striking. Can one have a ten-year-older doppelganger?

I was tempted to strike up a conversation with the guy, but then I realized I'd come across like Joey in that awful "hand twin!" episode of Friends.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 pm

I was at the DMV in early 2008 when a woman tapped me on the shoulder, called me by another name (i.e. Nancy?). When I said, sorry you must be mistaken, she explained that I was a dead-ringer for her long-lost cousin she hadn't seen in 15 years.

The guy who delivers water to our office asked me once if I went to the UW in the 90s and if I hung out at a particular bar where he bartended. No on both counts - I was in MN at that time.

I could go on - apparently I'm not that unique!
clyde

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Anyone know the monologue by Tom Waits called "Missing My Son"? Here it is...

"I was in a line at the supermarket the other day, and uhm... y'know, I had all my things on the little conveyor belt there. And uh... there's a gal in front of me that is uh.. well, she's staring at me and I'm getting a little nervous and uh, she continues to stare at me. And I uh, I keep looking the other way. And then, finally she comes over closer to me and she says: "I apologise for staring, that must have been annoying. I, I... You look so much like my son, who died. I just can't take my eyes off you." And she precedes to go into her purse and she pulls out a photograph of her son who'd died. And uh, he looks absolutely nothing like me. In fact he's... Chinese. Uh... anyway, we chatted a little bit. And uh, she says: "I'm sorry, I have to ask you. Would you mind, as I leave the supermarket here, would you mind saying "Goodbye mom" to me? I, I know it's a strange request but I haven't heard my son saying "Goodbye mom" to me, and "So long" and it would mean so much to me to hear it. And uh, if you don't mind I... " And I said: "Well, you know, okay, yeah, sure. Eh.. uh... I can say that." And, and so, she uh gets her groceries all checked out. And uh, as she's going out the door she waves at me and she hollers across the store: "Goodbye son!" And I look up and I wave and I say: "Goodbye mom!" And then she goes, and uh... So I get my few things there, on the conveyor belt and the checker checks out my things. And uh, and he gives me the total and he says: "That'll be four hundred and seventy nine dollars." Uh... and I said: "Well, how is that possible! I've only got a little tuna fish, and uh some skimmed milk, and uh mustard and a loaf of bread..." He goes: "Well, well you're also paying for the groceries for your mother. She uh, told me you'd take care of the bill for her." And I said: "Well, wait a minute! That's not my mother!" And he says: "Well I distinctly heard her say as she left the store "Bye son!" and you said "Bye mom!" and so what are you trying to say here, uh..." I said: "Well, JESUS!" And I looked out into the parking lot and she was just getting into her car. And I ran out there. And she was just closing the door, and she had a little bit of her leg sticking out of the door and she was pulling away and I grabbed her leg and I started PULLING it! Just the way... I'm pulling yours..."
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:54 pm

My buddy Ryan and I got mistaken for each other when I had glasses and a beard.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 pm

All of you white people look alike to me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Tall, big nose, balding, dorky, doughy, Dutch/French/other.
There's a ton of dudes that look like me (not the other way around of course).
It's a pain in the ass figuring out which ones are evil when they don't sport the telltale fu manchu.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:My buddy Ryan and I got mistaken for each other when I had glasses and a beard.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny when I figured out you two knew each other as you really do kind of look similar. (Thank god you shaved that beard off.)

I don't know of anyone around town that looks like me. -1 Madison.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All