MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

can anyone recommend a good place to get a tire patched?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

can anyone recommend a good place to get a tire patched?

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:21 am

One of my car tires has a slow leak and I need to take it in to get it repaired, so I am not having to put air in every 2 days! Can anyone recommend a reliable place to get this done? I have heard horror stories about some of the larger chain places.....
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:47 pm

You should be able to go to any local small garage for a tire patch. Do you know that it is leaking either from the tread area or the stem, those should be fixable. Leaking from the sidewall will probably require a new tire.

wayne's on cottage grove rd.
seversin's on fair oaks
monona motors on winnequah
pahl tire off the square
hansen's on park st.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Also Jensen's on Regent St. And I second Pahl's.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Don the Muffler Man on Old Univ
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 pm

I'll second Seversin's.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:33 pm

If you're handy, it's really easy to patch a slow leak yourself, even if you're not handy.

Find the leak by pumping up the tire and pouring soapy water over it. The leak should produce a stream of soap bubbles. If the leak comes from the tread area, you can patch it. If it comes from the valve stem (check that, too) get a valve stem tool and tighten that (about a buck). If the leak comes from the sidewall you need a new tire, and if air leaks out around the bead of the tire where it meets the rim, you probably drove on the tire when it was flat, and you need a new one

Patch kits cost about $4, and include a rasp, a pincer looking thing, some sticky black rubber strips, and some rubber cement. Use the rasp to clean the hole and make it more uniform, then pour some rubber cement over the hole (for adhesion and lubrication!). Place the rubber strip in the gap in the pincer device so that it is centered (You may have to open the gap up with a screwdriver), and push the strip into the hole so that it folds over and both ends stick out a little (so that most of the patch is contained in the tire and the hole, and some of it sticks out). Try not to twist it while you're putting it in. Then pull the tool out so that the patch stays in. It may take a few tries. Cut off the excess and there you go.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 pm

Or you can pay the local garage to do it. Cost me about ten bucks the last time, although it's been a while.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All