MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bee Line

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Bee Line

Postby Begbie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 pm

If I were to mention the Bee Line, would anyone have any idea what the fuck I was on about?
Begbie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Ah, hah! I always said, if I could find a way to get more TV run through my imac, I'd just ditch the TV! Now I admit, I googled it.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Begbie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 pm

Ah. A bit of clarification is in order I guess. (Although I must admit the beeline is kinda neat, what with all the TV channels)

Nope, the Bee Line I refer to is an old school modem-based chat room that used to be in Madison years ago. I used to be a member (last logon 1993 I think). Just thought about it today for no particular reason. I thought a Madison-based forum might have some former beeliners on it is all.
Begbie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Oh,well, at least I got some goodies.

Do go on, I'll see it in the morning.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 am

I used to be on the Bee Line back in the day. The Bee Line was like the cool elite chat-line BBS--perhaps some would equate it to The Daily Page forum. Then there was Screaming Demon II which had a lot of lines and was pretty fun but was a little less pretentious.

I actually have a bunch of old chat logs somewhere that I might post if I get the inclination. I was 16-17 at the time tho so I'm not sure I want to share my stupidity with everyone.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:57 am

ShaneDog wrote:I actually have a bunch of old chat logs somewhere that I might post if I get the inclination. I was 16-17 at the time tho so I'm not sure I want to share my stupidity with everyone.

That'd be like a digital version of "What's Your Damage".
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:48 pm

The Beeline was pretty good entertainment and I met some pretty cool people thanks to it. There were networked Doom sessions in one of the campus buildings thanks to "Bee" nicking his dad's keys, regular drinking nights out (the youngers went to Dennys for late night meetings), and some pretty interesting forums such as the hate board which was filled with rants and angst. And watch out if you had a slower modem and you logged in on one of the "higher speed" modems; which was 9600?!

There was some skanky guy who would try to get you into conversation about wrestling in your underwear and peeing. It was gross but we'd just lead him on for laughs.

I vaguely recall a scandal involving an ultra-closeted gay guy who lived in the Regent and came from a wealthy foreign family. He bought a lot of people modems and such but he'd never show his face; just quickly open his door, shove out the gift and slam it shut. And, very sadly, there was even a suicide of a member which was somehow related to the closeted guy, who ended up having to leave the country. I forget the details but it was a nasty situation.

I also recall Screaming Demon II, Star TreK BBS, Nine Jack Nine...and plenty of others. Wow, what a trip into the past!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Begbie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks for the ruminations, pulseCzar. It might have been Bubblehead (aka Dong Ho Shin) that you were thinking of re the Regent. He was on near the end of my involvement, and apparently he had some run-ins with the police.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your handle? Mine was Wedge Antilles (yes, from Star Wars, and yes, I was and still am that big of a geek).

I was only involved for a year or two, but it looms large in my memory of my teenage years. I knew a lot of the Beeliners in real life, and the Bee Line and high school at West (class of '95 yo) mix together for me.

I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic for some reason.
Begbie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:07 pm

I was "Norm!"; as in the Cheers character. I think I first logged on toward the end of your reign so we probably never crossed paths. I made some friends there too and even ended up rooming with a Beeliner named Matt (can't recall his Beeline name). He had gone to Oregon HS and then UW. He was definitely on there at the same time as you. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All