what's the going rate for a babysitter?

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:10 am

high school age/ college age?
watching two kids vs one?

gracias
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Belle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:52 pm

I have two friends that work as nannies tax free watching two kids in each home. The going rate is around $8-$9 an hour. They do housework,laundry,transport kids to places & even iron for the parents. They have no benefits at all!
Belle

Postby kevin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Broad range is $7-12 per hour with college age students at $10 and up. Usually all in cash, of course. Check out the ads at the UW job post site.
kevin
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:19 pm

No Benefits?!! OMG!! well maybe they should look into a line of work not usually occupied by a 14 year old. Do you have any idea what it would cost a family to pay health insurance for their baby sitter?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Looking here http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/category.asp?uw=0&cat=3 might give you a good idea. Looks like $8-$10/hour for college-aged. We pay $10/hr for a college sitter for 3 kids.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:32 am

thanks. for whatever reason, we're having an impossible time finding a sitter for thursday mornings.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:21 am

Belle wrote:They have no benefits at all!

What about the "tax free" part of it?
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:11 pm

dudemeister wrote:Looking here http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/category.asp?uw=0&cat=3 might give you a good idea. Looks like $8-$10/hour for college-aged. We pay $10/hr for a college sitter for 3 kids.

I have to threadjack a little here. I should have seen it coming, but I am flabbergasted that babysitters can now make per hour what I was making as a banquet server when I was in college. Inflation and small towns, I know. But wooooooow.

I started babysitting for money around age 13 and remember my mom advising me to charge about $1.50 per hour. That was 1991, folks. I should call her now to see what she charged when she was a kid.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Rosemary wrote:I have to threadjack a little here. I should have seen it coming, but I am flabbergasted that babysitters can now make per hour what I was making as a banquet server when I was in college. Inflation and small towns, I know. But wooooooow.

Babysitters are a bit more personally important than a banquet server though. If I'm a banqueteer, I could care less if my servers are hungover, crack-head pedophiles in their spare time as long as the food gets out hot and plates come back efficiently. On the other hand do I really want to find and employ an adult sitter based on lowest cost? Sure it's not "hard" work but having it done well is critically important, no? I would say entrusting my kids to someone is more important than just about any other decision I make.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

dudemeister wrote:
Rosemary wrote:I have to threadjack a little here. I should have seen it coming, but I am flabbergasted that babysitters can now make per hour what I was making as a banquet server when I was in college. Inflation and small towns, I know. But wooooooow.

Babysitters are a bit more personally important than a banquet server though. If I'm a banqueteer, I could care less if my servers are hungover, crack-head pedophiles in their spare time as long as the food gets out hot and plates come back efficiently. On the other hand do I really want to find and employ an adult sitter based on lowest cost? Sure it's not "hard" work but having it done well is critically important, no? I would say entrusting my kids to someone is more important than just about any other decision I make.

Oh, absolutely. I agree with you: choosing someone to care for one's children is a weighty decision. I should have been more clear... I was expressing amazement of the rise in rates. Should caring, honest, trustworthy sitters make the suggested wage? Yes, and parents should pass along their names to their friends.

Once in a while, I get a reminder of the passage of time. I just got a little walloped by $8-10 an hour.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:30 pm

apparently it's dirt cheap when compared to a half hour cab ride in this fair city.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Belle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:27 pm

Both of my nanny friends are in their 40's with plenty of experience & references.
Belle

Return to Catch All