MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Written Traffic Warnings

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Written Traffic Warnings

Postby Cartman69 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 pm

I was pulled over for speeding last Friday by the State Patrol :oops: (spare me the lecture I know I was being bad) and was given a written warning. According to their web site they keep a record of these events but it doesnâ??t say for how long, so I have two questions does anyone know how long they keep a written warning in their database and do they share that info with other agencies?
Also I knew they had laptops in the squads but I was surprised by the fact that they also have printers.
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 pm

All written warnings go on your PERMANENT RECORD.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:54 pm

I can't answer the question, but I did get a written parking citation WARNING today. I was running out to feed the meter just as the "officer" was approaching - so rather than give me a ticket, she issued me a warning. I said, "What am I supposed to do with this warning?" And she said, "You take it when I give it to you." Now there's a parking warning on my permanent record?
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby lysander » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Seeing as how warnings are basically the non-binding resolutions of the criminal justice system, I'd say that the agency has no requirement to keep them or destroy them at any set time. More than likely it will stay on your record for a few years, maybe 7. Might be permanent. You can call them up and ask.

One interesting thing to do is to request a record of all contacts you've had with the state patrol/sheriff's office/local police/etc. They're obligated to turn over just about everything they have on you, and you can do it anonymously. You can do it in person, through the mail, or over the phone. It'll show all your car accidents, things you reported, and things you were suspected of or arrested for. It's public record, anytime someone does a legitimate background check, it's one of the things that gets pulled.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I got a warning for speeding from the State Patrol a few years ago, and nothing ever appeared on my official driving record. I think they keep a paper record of it somewhere, but it is not accessible to any roadside law enforcement.

I could see why they'd want you to think it was though...make you more likely to behave for awhile.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All