MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 pm

In talking about his health care proposal today, U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Janesville) said:

This to us is something that we're not going to give up on, because we're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people.

Video here: http://youtu.be/LT3Px11xN-0
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Paul Ryan's (Freudian?) slip

Postby Sandi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't think it was "Freudian" at all. Intentional yes: but specifically with regards to Obamacare (not healthcare in general); but not stated specifically as it should have been.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Yes, yes, of course. Even though the word "Obamacare" is one of the most favorite words in the Republican Conservative Wingnut Tea Party fuck-everybody-but-the-rich lexicon, and he's been using it forty or fifty times a day since before he started running for veep, just this one time he said "health care" instead.

Just an honest mistake. Yah.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing our current health care system destroyed if it would be replaced by a better one.

I don't think that's what Mr. Ryan has in mind.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

He said he wants to repeal and replace.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Sandi wrote:

With some sort of tax break/voucher system that would not meet the needs of many Americans.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 pm

gargantua wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing our current health care system destroyed if it would be replaced by a better one.

Come on! Garg had er'right! Behold the above!

Although, being correct in this context does not make ANY of this song and dance less painful.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 am

Sandi wrote:

Those conservatives stuck on the "repeal and replace" mantra should focus on the Second Amendment.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 am

I'm going to shamelessly post this a third time, because its just that good:

In other words, Ryan and Republican leaders started off opposing the ACA’s Medicare cuts, then turned around and twice passed budgets that kept them, then campaigned against those cuts in the 2012 election, and are now embracing them again.

Ryan has flipped and flopped so many times he can't remember if he's trying to save or destroy healthcare. Or as the Talking Heads put it: "I"ve changed my hairstyle so many times now I don't know what I look like".

Dana Milbank tears apart his "budget":
“Now, how do we do this?” Ryan (R-Wis.), the House Budget Committee chairman, asked with a magician’s flourish as he unveiled his budget Tuesday morning.

Here’s how: The former Republican vice presidential candidate’s budget eliminates ___ loopholes in the tax code, cutting the ___ and the ____ deductions. It reduces spending on the ____ program by _____ and the _____ program by _____. Retirees would see ____, students would experience ____ and the poor would be _____.

Mr. "Numbers Guy" is going to do some unspecified stuff, and don't bother your pretty little head about it.

Now, you might be thinking, isn't that an audacious budget from the party that got its ass kicked in the last election? What kind of ego-trip is he on that he thinks he can get away with this?

This kind of ego trip:
“Look, whether the country intended it or not, we have divided government,” Ryan replied, suggesting that Republicans somehow won the debate while losing the election. “Are a lot of these solutions very popular, and did we win these arguments in the campaign?” Ryan asked himself. “Some of us think so.”

Or as Emo Phillips said "I'm a great lover, I'll bet".

Pierce explains it futher:
is only a budget in the same way that what the guy says to the pigeons in the park is a manifesto. It is constructed from the same magical thinking, the same conjuring words, the same elusive asterisks, and the same obvious obfuscations of its actual intent that Paul Ryan and his running mate put forward in the last campaign, in which they were so thoroughly rejected that Ryan couldn't even carry his home town.

His political philosophy is his notion of political economics. He believes that there are certain things that the government should not do for its citizens, and he would believe that if the balance showed a 20-gozillion surplus. His goal is to stop the government from doing those things. Everything else he does — every "budget" he proposes — is in service to that philosophy.

Read more: Paul Ryan 2014 Path To Prosperity Budget - What Is It About America He Doesn't Get? - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/p ... z2NR3DMqaI
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 pm

wack_wack wrote:Those conservatives stuck on the "repeal and replace" mantra should focus on the Second Amendment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCIQSY40GAg

Whether agreeing with it or not, it is exactly what he said. Sheesh, It is nice that people know how to use google. Would be nice if they also knew that the time to use it, is, when they believe that their assumption is correct.

Google is your friend.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Sandi wrote:
wack_wack wrote:Those conservatives stuck on the "repeal and replace" mantra should focus on the Second Amendment.

Whether agreeing with it or not, it is exactly what he said. Sheesh, It is nice that people know how to use google. Would be nice if they also knew that the time to use it, is, when they believe that their assumption is correct.

Google is your friend

Indeed.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Sandi wrote:

Whether agreeing with it or not, it is exactly what he said. Sheesh,

Um, that's what Wack was saying. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Sandi wrote:Google is your friend.

Google Search

That it is.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Sandi wrote:

Google is your friend.

WTF does Google have to do with it? My comment was a direct response to your comment. Your link adds nothing but a painful reminder of just how inept Paul Ryan is.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes of course. Better healthcare, less deficit spending, that would of course signify "inept." Gotcha.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes of course. Better healthcare, less deficit spending, that would of course signify "inept." Gotcha.

"Better" health care that leaves the poor without coverage and the elderly with a coupon that won't cover half. No one is denying that republicans have been saying "repeal and replace" we are arguing whether they have actually suggested a "replace" doesn't seem to be the case.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government