MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Write your own (damn) budget

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Write your own (damn) budget

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

It's Friday, and time for a little game. Since the Republicans won't agree to the Democrats' budget and won't make any substantive proposals of their own, I say they need some help. What would YOU put in -- and take out of -- the federal budget? Here's a calculator you can use to tinker with it:

http://projects.wsj.com/my-deficit-plan/#sel=0-0-0

It's fun to try different combinations and watch the deficit line slide around. From my point of view, getting to balance (is that even desirable?) is such a piece of cake we shouldn't even have to talk about it.

Incidentally, I think the Wall Street Journal is an unlikely place to publish this calculator. Maybe they thought we'd see it their way once they showed the numbers, but I sure don't.

Question: why are the options for limiting military spending so sparse? What about fewer pie-in-the-sky fancy new planes, missiles, and other not-yet-drawn projects, half of which get cancelled anyway? Any defense contractor knows those are virtually a blank check, with little or no oversight to tighten how the development budget is spent. We need some discussion here. The cold war is over, and there's no good reason our defense budget should exceed that of the whole rest of the world.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Write your own (damn) budget

Postby Detritus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

snoqueen wrote:Question: why are the options for limiting military spending so sparse?

The "defense cuts" section is a joke, mostly dinking around with employee benefits. Plus by limiting the choices to "annual" budget lines, all the wars are left out (since they have been funding through special appropriations and aren't in the budget). And then of course the entire "black budget" that funds the CIA, NSA, secret ops in the military, and everything the government doesn't want us to know about, is off limits. Finally, where is the option to cut Congressional pay, health care and other benefits, pensions, and so forth? We can limit healthcare options for military personnel but not for their bosses?

Stupid.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 pm

snoqueen wrote: From my point of view, getting to balance (is that even desirable?) is such a piece of cake we shouldn't even have to talk about it.

Not so easy for a conservative. If you cut every single item they list under entitlement spending, and every single item they list under non-defense spending, it still leaves a $371 billion deficit.

Throw in all their options for cutting defense spending, and that gets you to $208 billion deficit.

In other words, with their calculator it's impossible to eliminate the deficit without raising taxes.

In contrast, one could pretty easily eliminate the deficit in that calculator using only tax increases, without even including all of the options listed.

I expect the Wall Street Journal is getting a fair amount of hate mail over this.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:06 pm

In other words, we have a revenue problem, not a spending problem.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 pm

My budget increases tax revenue $700 billion
Cuts annually appropriated spending $100 billion
Cuts benefits or entitlements $600 billion

Leaves a 2020 projected surplus of $298 billion
Just in time for the President Walker tax cuts to begin
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Meade wrote:Just in time for the President Walker tax cuts to begin

In case you haven't noticed, most fantasy countries (Narnia, Middle-Earth, etc.) don't have presidents.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Meade wrote:Just in time for the President Walker tax cuts to begin

In case you haven't noticed, most fantasy countries (Narnia, Middle-Earth, etc.) don't have presidents.

I'm really hoping for a Walker presidential run in 2016. The man barely holds up to scrutiny here in-state and would pretty humorously be taken apart on a national level, a la Perry.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:15 pm

I know. What a treat.

I love how he's been acting like Mr. Moderation since the Obama election, too. Nobody's fooled.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Meade wrote:My budget increases tax revenue $700 billion
Cuts annually appropriated spending $100 billion
Cuts benefits or entitlements $600 billion

Leaves a 2020 projected surplus of $298 billion
Just in time for the President Walker tax cuts to begin

So we are $16.3 Trillion In Debt.

If I have a $300 Billion surplus it takes 54 years to pay off the debt yet after 8 years you are talking about a tax cut. Complete lunacy!

If you truly were serious about getting rid of the debt you wouldn't talk about tax cuts until it was gone. You simply want to kick people off of medicare, social security, unemployment, food stamps ......
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Progressive illusion has reached a critical mass; their affliction has become immune to facts, numbers, or rational arguments. Confrontation with logic only causes more resentment and name-calling.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Welcome back, Sandi.

Seems like I remember, long ago, you used arguments of logic supported by reviewable facts when you engaged in debate. Has your medication changed?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 pm

If it has changed, she is on Crazac. One more for the ignore list, to join Meade et alii.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Sandi wrote:Progressive illusion has reached a critical mass; their affliction has become immune to facts, numbers, or rational arguments. Confrontation with logic only causes more resentment and name-calling.

Sandi, are you related to Pastor Mark?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Sandi wrote:Progressive illusion has reached a critical mass; their affliction has become immune to facts, numbers, or rational arguments. Confrontation with logic only causes more resentment and name-calling.

I hope that isn't in response to my post.

Let's see how that works in real life.

You go to the bank who you owe a lot of money to and have started making payments to lower the debt. You talk to the bank and say, things are going better and we have a surplus and we can pay your debt down quicker but instead I am going to reduce my income and not pay you as much.

You would get laughed out of the bank.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes and yada yada yada. All, please check this out and sign if you see merit.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... s/2tgcXzQC

Eitherway, it seems that our right to petition has taken a step forward for ALL of US.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government