MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Southern Governors Secede from Medicaid

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Southern Governors Secede from Medicaid

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:39 am

Meade wrote:You two seem to be assuming that without a government program, it is impossible for children to receive health care, preventative or otherwise.

No need to theorize. Just look at the health statistics in a backwards, REpublican-controlled state like Texas.

Emergency room health care does not create a healthy population.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

A series of interesting maps appeared on juancole.com blog. They are sourced from U.S. Census Bureau.
Click on images and expand browser to enlarge

Low Life Expectancy tracks with Opposition to Obamacare

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

States with fewest Passports most Opposed to Obamacare

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

Meade wrote:Another strategy for paying lower taxes is to have voted for Obama in 2008. That way, the economy goes into [recession]

False.

Note the recession started at the end of 2007.

Meade wrote:... and stays in recession...

Also false. Note the graph shows the recession ending in June, 2009.

On a positive note, you're as accurate as ever, Meade.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am

States with Highest White Teen Births most Opposed to Obamacare

(Crackers respond to this rather damning series by suggesting that minority health statistics skew the averages. So in this map, we’ll just look at the majority population.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 am

States with Highest Infant Mortality Rates most Opposed to Obamacare

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

States with Highest Religiosity most Opposed to Obamacare

JC's commentary:
I once read an article in a sociology of religion journal. Sociologists placed a person who seemed to have fallen off his bike, and was bleeding a little (ketchup) and dazed, on the sidewalk outside a church a little before services were to begin. Members of the congregation passed the person, and not one stopped to help him. They were no good Samaritans.

The authors suggested that the members of the congregation were running a little late and felt a strong obligation to their group, and to the pastor, to try to be there on time, which outweighed any charitable impulse they might have had toward the fallen bicyclist.

Sociologists have found that religion isn’t about helping people or being more ethical than the non-religious. Most religious people just are cultivating a kind of social network or in-group. They also tend to be a bit more self-denying than the general population, i.e. personally puritanical. But they don’t help others at a higher rate than secular people do.

For real Christians, that a wealthy society could make sure every individual got health insurance, but did not, would be a scandal. There is a reason for which the Christian Right actively makes fun of the social gospel.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Apparently, if you abort your babies, you'll live long enough to get a passport, travel to Paris, and become an atheist.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Meade wrote:Apparently, if you abort your babies, you'll live long enough to get a passport, travel to Paris, and become an atheist.

That's basically the Republican position in a nutshell, yes.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Seriously, I think Larry just needs a good hug.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm

jman111 wrote:Seriously, I think Larry just needs a good hug.

Yeah, a bear hug. Like, from an actual bear.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Donald wrote:If some docs don't want to provide medical care to the most needy, these docs should get out of the medical "business" entirely. They are in it for the wrong reasons.

Be sure to tell all the nurses, techs, janitors, HR, security, that also work in those places. Oh, and nursing homes too. I think the medicaid shortfall this year is around $6.3 billion for nursing homes.
But enough of you wanting people to work for free or for what you deem they should make and back to the subject at hand.

And what follows is really what "budgeting" is all about...projections of money coming in, money going out, costs, etc. all from this moment on out into somewhere in the future. Good lesson for most.

Having counted on Washington for money that may not be delivered, at least 30 states will have to close larger-than-anticipated shortfalls in the coming fiscal year unless Congress passes a six-month extension of increased federal spending on Medicaid.

Gov. Edward G. Rendell of Pennsylvania, for instance, penciled $850 million in federal Medicaid assistance into the revenue side of his state’s ledger, reducing its projected shortfall to $1.2 billion. The only way to compensate for the loss, he said in an interview, would be to lay off at least 20,000 government workers, including teachers and police officers, at a time when the state is starting to add jobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/us/08 ... .html?_r=1

And in order to get, like kagan said, "A boatload of money" from the feds, presumably from their fleet of money ships, states will just have to increase their medicaid rolls.

I guess we can just ask fast freddie rendell how that "projection" has worked for him. :idea:
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Catching up here:

1) I ask you, forons: Is this the same poster who writes in some illiterate dialect, thinks ran is a past participle, and has no idea how to use spell check?

If you're signed in and you've got Corn on ignore, click that one and tell me what the heck is going on. I sure don't know.

2)
Donald wrote:I'm tired of docs whining about the rate they get under Medicaid. If some docs don't want to provide medical care to the most needy, these docs should get out of the medical "business" entirely.

Given the big backlog of unmet medical needs and the large percentage of uninsured/underinsured in many areas, as well as the high cost of pharmaceuticals which are pretty much the standard form of medical care these days, to think the burden is on doctors to make up the medical care gap by doing pro bono work is plain unrealistic. Some doctors do a lot of pro bono, some do a little, some do none. But no matter how generous the best of the medical profession might want to be, the need is beyond being met by charity.

So are most social service needs. That's what the busload of nuns has been trying to say all week.

3)Then there's this:

Seriously, I think Larry just needs a good hug.

He's still pouting from last night.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:Catching up here:

1) I ask you, forons: Is this the same poster who writes in some illiterate dialect, thinks ran is a past participle, and has no idea how to use spell check?

If you're signed in and you've got Corn on ignore, click that one and tell me what the heck is going on. I sure don't know.

Oops. Somebody must have forgotten who they were supposed to be.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Detritus wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Catching up here:

Oops. Somebody must have forgotten who they were supposed to be.

Holy shit. At least "he" remembered this:
Cornbread wrote: :idea:
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government