MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama and same-sex marriage

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Obama and same-sex marriage

Postby bdog » Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 am

Obama's 'Evolving' Views on Same-Sex Marriage

But why doesn't he take a stand now? Why not go down in history as the president who not only rid the world of a monster and who fought to bring health care to everyone but who secured love for everyone as well? Why not add Obamalove to Obamacare as a legacy? And it won't even cost the taxpayer any money. If anything it will make money for the community as same-sex couples marry, have children, set up homes with mortgages, buy furniture, food -- everything that goes into the process of couples living together.

Why doesn't he take a stand now?

Because he has the backbone of a gummi worm.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obama and same-sex marriage

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat May 05, 2012 9:59 am

Maybe because when he said his view was "still Evolving" what he really meant is he was still trying to figure out how to make sure the LBGTQ community showed up to vote for him while still saying no?

Let's face it, there are plenty of Democrats against same sex marriage. Not as many as there are Republicans, but we only need to look back to the Wisconsin amendment and the vote on that to see that anti-gay bigotry isn't confined to one party.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 06, 2012 10:14 am

via Althouse:

Joe Biden endorses same-sex marriage

Is the gummi worm in chief watching ?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Maybe because when he said his view was "still Evolving" what he really meant is he was still trying to figure out how to make sure the LBGTQ community showed up to vote for him while still saying no?

Let's face it, there are plenty of Democrats against same sex marriage. Not as many as there are Republicans, but we only need to look back to the Wisconsin amendment and the vote on that to see that anti-gay bigotry isn't confined to one party.

Or maybe what he meant is that his beliefs were truly evolving, as he sheds the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth for an enlightened, big picture, truly human view.

I know conservatives don't understand this, because they refuse to grow past the folly of childhood, lest God will hate them.

Stop projecting.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 06, 2012 10:46 am

Compare/contrast Obama to Romney. Who has radically changed his positions on hot topic social issues more often? (Rhetorical question.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

wack wack wrote:Or maybe what he meant is that his beliefs were truly evolving, as he sheds the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth for an enlightened, big picture, truly human view.

The President of the United States won't do the right thing because he's shedding "the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth"?

No biggie, Mr. President, take your sweet time.

Good thing we have VP Biden for the "enlightened, big picture, truly human view".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

bdog wrote:
wack wack wrote:Or maybe what he meant is that his beliefs were truly evolving, as he sheds the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth for an enlightened, big picture, truly human view.

The President of the United States won't do the right thing because he's shedding "the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth"?

No biggie, Mr. President, take your sweet time.

Good thing we have VP Biden for the "enlightened, big picture, truly human view".

I share your criticism. The sitting President is a a conservative who is out of touch with the mainstream views in America.

Unfortunately we are in a 2-party system, and his opponent is much worse on social issues.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 pm

DCB wrote:Unfortunately we are in a 2-party system, and his opponent is much worse on social issues.

I agree.

Do the right thing Mr. President.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun May 06, 2012 6:09 pm

bdog wrote:
DCB wrote:Unfortunately we are in a 2-party system, and his opponent is much worse on social issues.

I agree.

Do the right thing Mr. President.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. After the election.

To do so before the election would effectively be forfeiting the election as I'm sure you probably know. He'd lose Virginia, as well as possibly Florida and Ohio and other closely contested swing states.

That's fine with me if he waits. He's still better than Romney, no matter how many times Mitt shakes the Etch-a-Sketch.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 am

DCB wrote:I share your criticism. The sitting President is a a conservative who is out of touch with the mainstream views in America.
Unfortunately we are in a 2-party system, and his opponent is much worse on social issues.

Looking for votes the Dems will offer some lip service to the issue, but that will be it. The "New Democrats" and their heavy donors have spent the last 20 years working towards essentially the same purpose as the Christian Coalition, to pull the party to the right. Same-sex marriage, they won't stand for it.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 am

Then why did Obama finally end "Don't ask, don't tell"? He certainly wasn't trying to push the Democrats to the right.

These parties are the same. One of them does some stuff I agree with and the other does nothing I agree with. But they're essentially the same. I think I'll vote third party until a politician comes along who not only promises to do everything I ask them to, but actually succeeds in all their endeavors. Then we can officially be the United States of whatever-the-fuck-pj-wants.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon May 07, 2012 9:32 am

wack wack wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Maybe because when he said his view was "still Evolving" what he really meant is he was still trying to figure out how to make sure the LBGTQ community showed up to vote for him while still saying no?

Or maybe what he meant is that his beliefs were truly evolving, as he sheds the indoctrinated preconceptions of youth for an enlightened, big picture, truly human view.

I'd like to think you are right, but the candidate I voted for has definitely failed to show up and serve as President. At this point, I'm going to go ahead and take anything he says with a grain of salt.

wack wack wrote:I know conservatives don't understand this, because they refuse to grow past the folly of childhood, lest God will hate them.

I don't know what children you normally spend time with, but most young children I know, haven't learned to hate people for petty things like race, gender or sexual preference. That kind of stupidity is learned as they grow older. Usually it's passed on by stupid adults. I know it's hard for some liberals to admit, but not all Democrats are that enlightened.

wack wack wrote:Stop projecting.

Stop Assuming
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Mon May 07, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 am

pjbogart wrote:Then why did Obama finally end "Don't ask, don't tell"? He certainly wasn't trying to push the Democrats to the right.

He was trying to neutralize the voices of the Left and any other forces that might resist the hegemony of money.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon May 07, 2012 10:17 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Then why did Obama finally end "Don't ask, don't tell"? He certainly wasn't trying to push the Democrats to the right.

He was trying to neutralize the voices of the Left and any other forces that might resist the hegemony of money.

It probably didn't hurt that Don't ask Don't tell had already been ruled against in court and was probably going away anyhow.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'd like to think you are right, but the candidate I voted for has definitely failed to show up and serve as President.

Unless you voted for McCain this is nothing but the statement of a simpleton.

Did you honestly expect Obama's presidency was going to deliver on an order of magnitude commensurate with the soaring tenor of the campaign? If so, one has to wonder if you were actually old enough to vote in the last election.

Campaigns are all about vision. Then the election comes and the POTUS finds himself having to govern with a gaggle of assholes in the legislative branch. Fact is, if everyone who supported him in the general had shown up for the midterm and supported him by giving him a Democratic majority in the House and a wider majority in the Senate, he'd have been better positioned to deliver on all those promises. But no, too many so-called Democrats are easily disaffected and pissed and moaned when they didn't get their way right out of the starting blocks. So as my wife says to her kindergarten class, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Except most of you and yours do. Well boo fucking hoo. Don't show up at the polls in November. See where the fuck that gets ya.

All other accomplishments aside, Obama has appointed two Supreme Court Justices, both women and one of them the first Latina. Unprecedented enough for you? Progressive enough for you? Apparently not. Who would McCain have given you? Another Scalia? Another Roberts? This much is sure: The Court today would look a helluva lot more grim than it does now and would be hellbent on stripping away every last gain the gay community and everyone who has ever struggled for equality made under Obama and prior.

Anyone who thinks Obama is "still evolving" on this issue doesn't know his political ass from his elbow. Obama knows it's only a matter of time before the gay community achieves civil rights parity, but he's playing it politically safe. While that may not seem the most moral or courageous stand and is ultimately disappointing to the gay community and supporters like me, it's impossible for any of us not sitting in his chair to say that it's not the most politically expedient move. Because without a second term, not only will gay rights make no progress at all, it will be set back by a significant measure.

My guess: Obama's playing chess to your game of checkers. Talking out of turn may not be new territory for Biden but it's not exactly something Arne Duncan is prone to do. I'd be willing to bet this was all a calculated tactic to signal to supporters of gay rights that if they hold tight, major change is right around the fast approaching corner.

Or you can just bitch and take your ball and go home and good fucking luck making anything akin to progress of any sort for anyone under a Romney administration. I hope to hell the disgruntled don't stay home in November thinking Obama has a lock on this thing, because they may well help usher in a new era of oligarchy in this country where disenfranchisement of minority groups of every sort is the norm. Political realities are a bitch, ain't they?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government