MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are you also against regulation and taxation on alcohol and tobacco? What about age limits for those who have not reached adulthood?

Btw, I am for lower the age to purchase alcohol to 18. Same with gambling.

"Sin taxes" should be abolished. If there must be a sales tax (which is another argument), then all products, including "bad" ones like tobacco and alcohol, should be taxed at the same rate. All blue laws should be repealed - selling alcohol should not require a license or other permit, and there should be no restrictions on time/day of sale. Why are retail alcohol sales prohibited after 9pm in Madison?

Minimally, the age for alcohol purchases should be changed to 18 years. I don't really have any moral problems with people even younger purchasing or consuming alcohol, but due to the nature of our legal system (which makes minors something other than fully-independent individuals) I'm not sure I would suggest that kids be allowed to purchase alcohol without first making other legal changes.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Seriously, can we just put this "medical marijuna" scam to bed once and for all? If you wanna smoke pot, just come out and say it.
This. I don't smoke pot, but I want anyone to be able to smoke pot for whatever reason they want, without needing permission from the government. You don't have to be a pothead to be in favor of this sort of freedom.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 pm

jman111 wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:. The problem, of course, is that the abusers and their families end up being wards of state and I'm not OK with that.

Oh, where to start with this one....

Do you know any long-term, cronic potheads? I do. It's not pretty.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:
eriedasch wrote:But the only people bothering to notice are one-issue voters like myself and Snoop.

There are no issues more important to this country than legalizing marijuana. Seriously?

Not to potheads.

Seriously, can we just put this "medical marijuna" scam to bed once and for all? If you wanna smoke pot, just come out and say it.

And I'm perfectly fine with legalizing marijuana and other drugs. The problem, of course, is that the abusers and their families end up being wards of state and I'm not OK with that.


Marijuana prohibition destroys families. There are few problems in America bigger than the destruction of the family unit, right Mr. Con?

Do you think more families become "wards of the state" because of marijuana abuse, or because a breadwinner is sent to jail?

Once again, the truth will be terribly inconvenient for you.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Seriously, can we just put this "medical marijuna" scam to bed once and for all? If you wanna smoke pot, just come out and say it.
This. I don't smoke pot, but I want anyone to be able to smoke pot for whatever reason they want, without needing permission from the government. You don't have to be a pothead to be in favor of this sort of freedom.

Agreed. I just don't want another government-funded hammock replete with social workers, rehab centers, SSI payments, lawyers and victims-rights advocates created to deal with those who can't handle their newfound freedom.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:14 pm

wack wack wrote:Marijuana prohibition destroys families. There are few problems in America bigger than the destruction of the family unit, right Mr. Con?

Do you think more families become "wards of the state" because of marijuana abuse, or because a breadwinner is sent to jail?

Once again, the truth will be terribly inconvenient for you.

You're trading one problem for another. Oh, and how the left will wail and moan when Phillip Morris corners the dope market and puts all the "little guys" out of business!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby nutria » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Do you know any long-term, cronic [sic] potheads? I do. It's not pretty.


OK, Ned -- I'm not joking or trying to needle here. I'd like to hear some of these harrowing tales.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:53 am

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey, I know a guy who got his driver's license at age 16. He was a chronic driver for decades. He ended up killing 4 people in a crash. It wasn't pretty. Our tax dollars now pay to house and feed him (or "hammock" him, if you will).

Moral of the story: we should end the issuance of driver's licenses.
(Proof by anecdote.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
wack wack wrote:Marijuana prohibition destroys families. There are few problems in America bigger than the destruction of the family unit, right Mr. Con?

Do you think more families become "wards of the state" because of marijuana abuse, or because a breadwinner is sent to jail?

Once again, the truth will be terribly inconvenient for you.

You're trading one problem for another. Oh, and how the left will wail and moan when Phillip Morris corners the dope market and puts all the "little guys" out of business!


Once again I find myself at a place where I just can't believe that you believe what you're stating. Nobody is that silly.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm

We fear that which we do not understand.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

jman111 wrote:Hey, I know a guy who got his driver's license at age 16. He was a chronic driver for decades. He ended up killing 4 people in a crash. It wasn't pretty. Our tax dollars now pay to house and feed him (or "hammock" him, if you will).

Moral of the story: we should end the issuance of driver's licenses.
(Proof by anecdote.)
Your anecdote is the opposite of what Ned is saying - he says that we should legalize marijuana while rescinding the welfare state. A proper driving analogy for Ned's position would be that we should allow driving (licensing is another story) while not extending welfare state benefits to people who are at fault and are injured in car accidents. You can make this even more logically consistent by saying that we shouldn't have a welfare state for anyone.

Wack raises a good point though - drug prohibition is already sending millions of people into poverty and state dependence. The burden on our existing welfare state, even as it stands, would be eased if we were to end the drug war. Sure, we might be swapping a one problem for another problem, but the new problem would be smaller than the old one. I'm OK with that.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:33 pm

jman111 wrote:Hey, I know a guy who got his driver's license at age 16. He was a chronic driver for decades. He ended up killing 4 people in a crash. It wasn't pretty. Our tax dollars now pay to house and feed him (or "hammock" him, if you will).

Moral of the story: we should end the issuance of driver's licenses.
(Proof by anecdote.)


This, of course, makes no sense unless you just took a bong hit. Driving doesn't alter your senses, nor does it lead to abuse of stronger forms of....driving. People have accidents all the time. Using drugs is not an accident.

Again, I'm against establishing yet another victim group that society needs to deal with. If you can give me an answer to dealing with this, I'm on board.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Crockett » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

We should continue to sanction/embargo countries with whom we don't agree and want regime change. We should fight for low prices at the pumps. We should outlaw drugs.

All these things have worked so well over the past 20-50 years.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

ArturoBandini wrote: Sure, we might be swapping a one problem for another problem, but the new problem would be smaller than the old one. I'm OK with that.

I'm curious as to why you're so confident about that.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Alright, not well thought out on my part.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jeerleader and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar