MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Franken stealing the election?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby acereraser » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:I was wrong, you were right.

Go Twins. Hold Steady rocks.

Sigh. That was as satisfying as catching my seven-year-old reading once again after lights out. "Sorry!" - "What made you think it was a good idea to turn the light on again? - "I don't know." An explanation is always what I am after, and never what I get.

Go Twins, indeed, but you can hold the Hold Steady on mine.

It is hard to believe this was the best picture of Rod they had available:

...and it is hard to believe someone would circle the optical scan square in an effort to cast their vote, but it happened. Lizard people I can buy.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
I'd say ballots 1, 4, 5, 6, and 8 should clearly go to Franken.

Ballots 9 and 10 should go to Barkley.

Ballot 2 shouldn't be rejected just because of a thumbprint.

Ballots 3, 7, and 11 should probably be rejected.

I think your assessment is dead-on.

What's so excruciating about this isn't the process, it's the ridiculously idiotic rationale behind some of these challenges. A handful of those are legitimate, but most of'em are just idiotic.
"He was underlining Al"? Are you serious with this?
A smudgy thumbprint (which could belong to anyone) is a distinguishing identification mark? OK, then tell me whose ballot it is. Now prove it.
You should ignore the fully-filled circle because there's a tiny dot next to Coleman's name? "What appear to be eraser marks" are a better indicator of voter intent than a clearly filled-in circle? It's unclear what the intent is of a ballot with a check mark next to the name and a circle around the only square directly opposite the same candidate's name? Auuughhh!
Is this the kind of logic we can expect either of these idiots to employ when weighing decisions in the Senate? God help us all, or at least the Minnesotans.

I imagine some of the parents of these lawyers sitting at home thinking, "This is why I worked like a slave so my son could go to law school? Oy!"
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:21 pm

donges wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Images of challenged ballots:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/featur ... d_ballots/

Seeing these, I have some sympathy for the aids who joked about being able to color in the little circles.
Recounting must be excruciatingly painful and exhausting work.

Amen.

How about the lame-ass challenges staged by the campaigns? If I was a poll worker trying to complete the recount and had to put up with all that bullshit they were trying to pass off as legitimate challenges, it'd take me about 5 minutes to bludgeon the campaign representatives for idiocy and bury them in the cold, cold ground. Fuck that noise.

If Franken and Coleman are going to put up all these silly arguments about counting votes that clearly shouldn’t be counted and in doing so display such a lack of respect for the process, maybe Minnesotans would be better served by Barkley.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:What's so excruciating about this isn't the process, it's the ridiculously idiotic rationale behind some of these challenges. A handful of those are legitimate, but most of'em are just idiotic.

Yeah, the eraser one is really dumb. Also this one:

To most of us, this is an obvious case where someone marked Coleman's circle by mistake, then wrote "NO" by his name and filled in Franken's circle. But to the lawyer for the Coleman campaign ... "Gosh, there's just no way of telling what they meant, so let's toss this ballot, OK?"
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Good on ya, Joyce. I take back that cheap shot about the portfolio for the National Enquirer gig.

Go Brewers! Vangelis rocks, err . . . new ages or whatever.

nb - I'm still open to the notion that there's some illegal tomfoolery going on, so if you have any evidence worth posting that implicates any of the candidates, I really would like to see it.
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm

Franken's continuing to pick up votes (or, more accurately, he's not losing votes as fast as Coleman):

http://ww2.startribune.com/news/metro/e ... senco.html

Franken's gained a net 59 votes, with 21% counted. But the bigger problem for Coleman is probably the challenges. Coleman's challenged a lot more ballots than Franken, and as we've seen, a lot of the challenges are bullshit. So that will probably add a bit more to Franken's total.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Coleman's challenged a lot more ballots than Franken

He has?
The last figure I saw was that they were about even -- something like 150 for Coleman/125 for Franken.
Anyone got a more accurate/recent source?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flounders wrote:Coleman's challenged a lot more ballots than Franken

He has?
The last figure I saw was that they were about even -- something like 150 for Coleman/125 for Franken.
Anyone got a more accurate/recent source?

Well, the page I linked to in the post you quoted :wink:

Right now it shows 156 challenges by Franken, 222 by Coleman. I don't know whether a 42% difference counts as "a lot more" ... but this is a darn close race.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Anyone got a more accurate/recent source?

Well, the page I linked to in the post you quoted :wink:

D'oh! :oops:
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 pm

I guess three out of four ain't bad.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 pm

jeez...what is wrong with those people? When I make a mistake on a ballot I go and get a new one. You would think that people who go out of their way to vote would at least make their intent clear.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 am

Ned Flounders wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:What's so excruciating about this isn't the process, it's the ridiculously idiotic rationale behind some of these challenges. A handful of those are legitimate, but most of'em are just idiotic.

Yeah, the eraser one is really dumb. Also this one:

To most of us, this is an obvious case where someone marked Coleman's circle by mistake, then wrote "NO" by his name and filled in Franken's circle. But to the lawyer for the Coleman campaign ... "Gosh, there's just no way of telling what they meant, so let's toss this ballot, OK?"

that actually looks like "n.d." to me...maybe the voter was trying to vote for mr coleman for senator from north dakota and mr franken for senator from minnesota...

apparently if u use a pencil (or pen, burnt match, human blood...) to change the district number when voting for county supervisor in wisconsin it counts, or doesn't not count, coz they are officers of the county just like the sheriff or register of deeds. until they specifically closed a loophole in the early 1980s there were people on county boards in various places who lived outside the district, sort of like how ridings in canada technically work. as far as i know it does not necessarily work like than for state senate or general assembly, city council, or numbered school board seats. maybe they thought it was the same thing. no not really.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:17 am

As Franken should be certified the winner of the 2008 Minnesota US Senate Election (barring the predictable Republican obstructionism), I wanted to revisit this thread. It had many great hits, but this one's my favorite:

"Franken set the DFL back 25 years in his ego-centric quest for the Senate"
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:53 am

I agree with that assessment, having spent a few months trading emails about the very topic with several Dem-voting homies from the Gopher State.

Let's just put it this way: Conservatives voted for Wellstone (as they have for Feingold). The GOP thought they could beat Wellstone, but they couldn't because he was such a genuinely committed public servant who earned the respect of all constituents regardless of party affiliation (Ned excluded).

Franken's a one-term senator. He will be up for reelection halfway through Obama's second term (an assumption) and won't get the necessary 300-and-change bump from a presidential campaign. He gets zero slack already and will be heavily scrutinized. Of all sitting U.S. senators, the GOP likely has him slotted already for 2014 as the most vulnerable.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:21 am

The biggest assumption is that there will be Republican Party in 2014. Now, how Franken does then will be determined by the job he does. I like him more as a serious person than a funny man and think he'll do a good job. And I don't think the U.S. Constitution Party is going to find anybody big enough to go up against him.

And, you shouldn't downplay the fact that Franken beat an incumbent who threw millions at him and had the talking heads at Fox News and other outlets hounding him on a daily basis - coattails notwithstanding.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government