MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Got Obama fatigue yet?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Got Obama fatigue yet?

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:19 am

So, I'm reading yet another post about how great Barak Obama is and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Here's a guy who has risen based on one speech, a good sense of humor and a Liebermanesque willingness to criticize the Dem Party while displaying a gruesome meekness before Repub attacks that has proven to be death to Dem candidates.

But can he win a national election? When the shitstorm flies, will he be able to stand up to it, to handle it? There is absolutely no evidence to that effect. The guy's been tested in DC, when McCain went after him for introducing legislation without McCain's blessing. Obama's response? None. He just took it.

I loved that speech. It was great. But before we're willing to back someone who is untested, shouldn't we see some evidence, somewhere of some mettle? Coasting to victory over Alan Keyes is hardly a life-defining struggle. And winning primary battles, his main political achievement, is not quite the same as winning a national election.

Senator Obama, check the ambition, and come back when you've got a track record to show us.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby UW-Madison » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:25 am

"When the shitstorm flies, will he be able to stand up to it, to handle it? There is absolutely no evidence to that effect."

I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of Gore or Kerry.

"The guy's been tested in DC, when McCain went after him for introducing legislation without McCain's blessing. Obama's response? None. He just took it."

McCain talks shit and Obama ignores it... Guess who comes off looking more presidential?

I read you post and it only makes me like him more. He is a risky 2008 candidate, but '00 and '04 have proved that you can't play it safe against the GOP. The President doesn't need to have experience, thats what the cabinet is for. The President needs to be a good communicator, first and foremost, and both the left and right would agree he's the best in Congress.
UW-Madison
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 am

Obama meets with Soros. This is just starting to get good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/05/us/po ... nted=print
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Ned, you're citing to the Paper of Record. You're coming around! Good job!
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Got Obama fatigue yet?

Postby Smartypants » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:30 pm

AlphaLiberal wrote:Senator Obama, check the ambition, and come back when you've got a track record to show us.

So who's a better nominee at this point, "Alpha"?
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:09 pm

Smartypants wrote:
AlphaLiberal wrote:Senator Obama, check the ambition, and come back when you've got a track record to show us.

So who's a better nominee at this point, "Alpha"?

Speaking of Hillary, did anyone hear about the "Hillary Special" at a chicken restaurant in Upstate NY?: Two large thighs, a small breast and a left wing :P (rimshot)
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:32 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: Speaking of Hillary, did anyone hear about the "Hillary Special" at a chicken restaurant in Upstate NY?: Two large thighs, a small breast and a left wing

Not surprisingly, it's much more popular than the "Flanders Special": a chickenhawk with the brains removed, stuffed full of shit.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 pm

I never got it in the first place. He's young, attractive and smart (I assume that he is smart) but that is about it.

I mentioned him as a VP running mate for Bill Richardson mainly because I still see the VP as a do nothing position (despite the current occupant) whose main job is to pull a state and maybe a constituency. That is Obama's only real strength: pulling Illinois and solidifying (energizing) the black vote. He no Jesse Jackson, but being the first African-American to run for either VP or POTUS with a major party would certainly create some excitement.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:01 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote: Speaking of Hillary, did anyone hear about the "Hillary Special" at a chicken restaurant in Upstate NY?: Two large thighs, a small breast and a left wing

Not surprisingly, it's much more popular than the "Flanders Special": a chickenhawk with the brains removed, stuffed full of shit.

LOL.

So, if we're talking Dem candidates, what's everyone's take on Bill Richardson?
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:Not surprisingly, it's much more popular than the "Flanders Special": a chickenhawk with the brains removed, stuffed full of shit.

Hey there, pal, don't knock it till you try it!

Me, I find a Flanders goes down nice and easy...
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 pm

Dulouz wrote: ... being the first African-American to run for either VP or POTUS with a major party would certainly create some excitement.

And all but guarantee a loss.

I will never ceased being amazed at the naivete of anyone alive today who thinks anyone other than a white, Christian male is going to occupy The White House. Have all the recent threads about racism right here on the Forum not demonstrated sufficiently to everyone that, as a country, we just ain't there yet? Furthermore, as Chris Rock once (I think perceptively) noted, you can't have a white Prez and a black VP unless you don't mind your new President being used for target practice.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:23 pm

DrAwkward wrote:So, if we're talking Dem candidates, what's everyone's take on Bill Richardson?

I like Richardson - his creds line up nicely:
Governor
Foreign policy experience (N Korea and UN posts)
Bi-partisan experience/credibility
From southwestern state (Could pull in Colorado, Nevada, New Mex?)
Clintonista centrist

What am I missing?
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm

I've said before that my dream ticket would be Clark/Feingold, but I also think a Richardson/Clark ticket would be damn hard to beat.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Dulouz wrote: ... being the first African-American to run for either VP or POTUS with a major party would certainly create some excitement.

And all but guarantee a loss.

I will never ceased being amazed at the naivete of anyone alive today who thinks anyone other than a white, Christian male is going to occupy The White House. Have all the recent threads about racism right here on the Forum not demonstrated sufficiently to everyone that, as a country, we just ain't there yet? Furthermore, as Chris Rock once (I think perceptively) noted, you can't have a white Prez and a black VP unless you don't mind your new President being used for target practice.

I think many, mnay people would vote for a qualified black person such as Colin Powell. But Obama is a creation of the media at this point.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:05 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
I think many, mnay people would vote for a qualified black person such as Colin Powell.

1) I don't care what you think.
2) You don't think; you regurgitate.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government