MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Olympic attendance

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

I didn't go because:

Poll ended at Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:40 am

I didn't think they'd actually get it built.
8%
And get myself blowed up? You're kidding, right?
No votes
I'm just a tad short on cash since my job got outsourced.
No votes
I'm just a tad short on cash, period.
46%
Sorry, that's not my idea of a vacation.
46%

Total votes : 13

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:03 pm

no way. Changing one part of the score isn't fair. Their are reason for rules, and doing this makes rules obsolete.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:20 pm

I don't think he should give back the gold medal because it really was the judges fault. If the judges want to somehow change the results and take it back from him, that's their choice but it shouldn't be put on the shoulders of Mr. Hamm.

Also, people need to understand that the judges really, really messed this part up. All the discussion I've heard on this talks about how judging gymnastics is subjective and so on but in this case that's not what happened. Part of a gymnastics routine is judged subjectively - ie how well they performed the elements of the routine, and part of it (the start value) is basically objective - take the skills they did, and add up the # of points each skill is worth, plus some bonus points for doing them in certain combinations, or if they are connected. I'm not sure how it happend but I'm guessing they didn't notice one of his connections or scored one of his skills wrong and came up with a 9.9 start value instead of a 10 which is what his routine should have been worth.
In the future, the FIG (international gymnastics federation) needs to come up with a way to ensure that the objective part of the scoring doesn't get messed up. One easy way to do it would be for the coach/gymnast to provide their expected start value, along with how they came up with it at the beginning of the routine and then the judges would compare what they came up with after the routine is over and if the values did not match they would consult with the coach to see where the discrepancy lies.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:41 pm

Marge wrote:So, what does everyone think? Should Hamm give back the gold?

No but he should quit fucking whining about how he doesn't think there should be two gold medals awarded. It's bad enough dude's voice is pitched like a sixth-grader on helium, it's just plain ill-making to hear him piss and moan about how he thinks he won fair and square.

Uh ... maybe if you hadn't fucked up one of your routines the question would be moot. You're not the pillar of perfection, you mincing little homunculus. Deal.

Fuckin' athletes are such fuckin' egomaniacs. Like anyone's gonna give a shit when this guy's pecs start to atrophy and his name's no longer hashed around the evening news for what's essentially a cosmically infinitesimal achievement. Or did I miss the part where Mr. Wonderful found a cure for cancer whilst swinging around like a chimp?

Ten years from now, he'll be on his third nervous breakdown: "Why doesn't everybody still love me?!" Either that or he'll be one of the commentators I wanna line-up and mow-down execution style. Probably the latter, given that his voice is so fucking annoying. Great, just what the world needs: another squeaky Scott Hamilton yappin' mutherfucker.

Every four years the Olympics set back the course of human enlightenment a good ten. But as long as it generates some rabid nationalistic squawking, I guess this global regression-fest can't be all bad.

F-U-U-S-A! F-U-U-S-A! F-U-U-S-A!
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:46 pm

The last time they gave 2 medals was when the French judge was fixing the scoring with the Ruskies. 2 in that case sort of makes sense. 2 here doesn't. You can't be giving away 2 medals everytime a judge fucks up, because THEY'RE ALWAYS FUCKING UP!

Should we change the Brewer game 2 nights ago when a Cub hit a foul and was called fair? Let's give the 72 bball team golds because they should have. Does a golfer who erroneously puts down 4 instead of 3 on a hole get to go back the day after and change his score? Let's go back and call that Yankee 'home run' an out because, according to replays, Jeffrey did lean over and snatch it in fair play. Let's take the World Cup away from Argentina because replays show Maradonna punching it in with no help from God.....and so on.

If they want to change scores, then do it for everyone, in all of the things they did. The color guy, Daggett, said having the wrong start value happens more than you think, that he doubts this was the only person who it happened to, to change it for him and only him is not only not fair to the others, but is going down a path there is no turning back from. If you were to apply a microscope to the entire competition, examining every set of marks, the revisionism would never end.

If you want to change the start value, then let's look at his whole routine and not just the part that would benefit him. You'll see he did 4 balance moves(i think that's what it is) and only 3 are allowed, so he should get a deduction for that. Where does that leave his score?? Right where you started. Did Korea point that out? I seriously doubt it.

When our coaches found out our 2 gymnasts knew their start values were being lowered prior to their competing, they changed the routines before they performed them. Their coaches decided to look at videotape and whine about judges making mistakes after the fact. Too bad. They fucked up, they should know the rules(isn't that part of their job?), their guy went early and they had plenty of time to find it, too late to go back now.

You snooze, you lose.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:00 pm

Paco wrote:The last time they gave 2 medals was when the French judge was fixing the scoring with the Ruskies. 2 in that case sort of makes sense. 2 here doesn't. You can't be giving away 2 medals everytime a judge fucks up, because THEY'RE ALWAYS FUCKING UP!

Well, in case I wasn't clear on the matter, I could give two stale shits how they resolve this.

But if I want to hear an American piss, whine and moan I'll set up a meeting with my boss. The fact that the media is spit-polishing this pissant's ass while there are guys his same age getting killed every day overseas who get no media coverage whatsoever says a shitload about our fucked-up priorities as a country. At least the Greeks used to call off the killing during the competition so they could celebrate frivolity sans distraction.

So give him the gold. Give him eight and break the mold so nobody ever gets another one. I don't care. Just get the pissy little ape off my TV.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:57 pm

Marge wrote:So, what does everyone think? Should Hamm give back the gold?

Should he be forced to give up the gold? no.

Should he give it up anyway? Yes.

If he does, he'll be remembered forever as a magnificent sportsmen who "did the right thing." This will be the case even if many of us don't believe it's the necessary thing.

If he doesn't, he'll just be another prancing elf from the Keebler treehouse hoping to make a name for himself in the upcoming Gymkata remake.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:50 pm

That's the trouble with any so-called sport where winning is determined by subjective judgments. As a friend once declaimed: "It ain't a sport unless they keep score or have a clock." Style points don't count.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking