MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Nebraska coach outspoken against gays

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Nebraska coach outspoken against gays

Postby bdog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am

Heh...as infanticide and sexism belong in the same category too.

Pull the stick out of your ass...you'll feel much better!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 am

bdog wrote:Heh...as infanticide and sexism belong in the same category too.

You're right. I should have said misogyny.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Ron Brown made it about race: "He said gays and lesbians do not deserve the same protections as groups that historically have been discriminated against, such as blacks and women."

That wasn't Ron Brown making it about race - that was USA Today making it about race by making it look like Ron Brown was making it about race, in a way not unlike the way Henry Vilas wanted to make it about race because Henry is a big fat race baiter.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 am

Meade wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Ron Brown made it about race: "He said gays and lesbians do not deserve the same protections as groups that historically have been discriminated against, such as blacks and women."

That wasn't Ron Brown making it about race - that was USA Today making it about race by making it look like Ron Brown was making it about race, in a way not unlike the way Henry Vilas wanted to make it about race because Henry is a big fat race baiter.

And you're what? A little skinny troll? Really, Meade, the reason people accuse you of being a troll is that you appear to intentionally misread the postings of others for no apparent reason other than to stir things up. The conventional wisdom is that you're not stupid enough to do that other than intentionally. I think that, once again, the conventional wisdom is wrong.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 am

Meade wrote:That wasn't Ron Brown making it about race - that was USA Today making it about race by making it look like Ron Brown was making it about race, in a way not unlike the way Henry Vilas wanted to make it about race because Henry is a big fat race baiter.

Here's more Ron Brown not making it about race: "There is a huge difference. (Gays) have not gone through anything near the type of things that African-Americans went through in this nation."

And more: "The scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals... that is not what God had in mind at all."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:And more: "The scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals... that is not what God had in mind at all."

Is he implying that God didn't create homosexuals? Or that God fucked up when he created homosexuals?

Thank goodness Mr. Brown knows what God has in mind, I hope he can clarify this.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GOD » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:And more: "The scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals... that is not what God had in mind at all."

NO MAN KNOWS MY MIND. RON BROWN SHALL HAVE A THOUSAND INCONVENIENCES FOR HIS IMPUNITY.
GOD

Postby GOD » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Meade wrote:

WAIT UNTIL YOU GET TO HEAVEN MEADE. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH GAY SEX.
GOD

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm

I think this whole situation is win-win. Ron Brown is happy to be fired because of his stupid views and I'm guessing that yes, he will be fired for his stupid views.

Arguing about "making it about race" is if not exactly besides the point, clearly grist for someone like Meade to just take it down the Meade-hole. Can anyone make a legit argument that it should be OK to discriminate against gay/transgender people? No, they can't. End of story, except for the dummies.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I love how this jerkwater thinks he's best serving God by being a running backs coach at Nebraska. Not, say, Notre Dame or Texas Christian or Southern Methodist or whatever.

Let's be clear about how Brown has found himself at the center of a controversy. Here's what NU's own website says about Brown:

Off the field, Brown and former Husker Stan Parker are co-founders and co-directors of a statewide Christian ministry called Mission Nebraska... Mission Nebraska also facilitates a statewide Christian endeavor called FreedMen, which challenges and inspires men and boys to take a strong courageous Christian stand in the public square.

FreedMen?

Freedmen was the term given to those slaves who became free men after the U.S. Congress passed the Confiscation Act of 1862.

Should he be fired? No. But he should definitely cease using his public university job to proselytize. The guy is paid to be a running backs coach; he can promote his anti-gay ministry on his own time. Conservatives are fond of pointing out that few of us in the private sector are allowed to do engage in extra activities on the clock, but apparently Brown and his boosters don't have any problems with him using his public job to promote his private interests.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Here's more Ron Brown not making it about race: "There is a huge difference. (Gays) have not gone through anything near the type of things that African-Americans went through in this nation."

And more: "The scriptures teach that blacks were created by God, that women were created by God, but that homosexuals... that is not what God had in mind at all."

Kenneth: Don't you think, in both those cases, Brown was responding to questions from reporters and others, that he was not the one who first brought race into the controversy?

Henry Vilas - who started this topic - felt a need to bring race into the discussion. Why? He won't say. If it turns out that Ron Brown was doing the same thing - gratuitously injecting race into the debate - I will not hesitate to condemn his behavior as I condemn Henry Vilas's. (Or rather the foron who (mis)represents himself by using the name - Henry Vilas).
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Meade wrote:If it turns out that Ron Brown was doing the same thing - gratuitously injecting race into the debate - I will not hesitate to condemn his behavior as I condemn Henry Vilas's. (Or rather the foron who (mis)represents himself by using the name - Henry Vilas).

So provided he just keeps bashing gays, all is well, huh? That is mighty christian of you sucko.
Last edited by rrnate on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Meade wrote:Kenneth: Don't you think, in both those cases, Brown was responding to questions from reporters and others, that he was not the one who first brought race into the controversy?

I don't see evidence of that in the instances I've cited, but it's possible.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Ducatista wrote:Hey, Larry One Note. Henry wasn't making it about race. He was pointing out that anti-gay posturing is one of the last accepted forms of public bigotry, and that same bullshit stance would never be tolerated if the coach had railed against, say, whites instead of gays.

Exactly.

Meade is full of shit (as usual).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:Should he be fired? No.

See, now I'd say he SHOULD be fired. I'm going to bet the university has a non-discrimination clause a mile wide and no doubt one could easily, easily, easily make the case he's in violation of it.

Outside of that, he's more or less defaming the university; no matter how you cut it, a large percentage of young people that associate the school with backwater, gay-bashing numbnuts like this guy just won't go there. He can make all the noise about "religious persecution" he wants; shouldn't matter. He's going above and beyond his obviously very compelling Christ-complex to cause real trouble for his employer.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking