MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey, rook: Ed Frutig and his run with the '41 Packers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Hey, rook: Ed Frutig and his run with the '41 Packers

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm

1941 was the last--and only--time the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears met in the playoffs. It's far enough back that the winner hardly matters anymore (it was the Bears, 33-14), but maybe Ed Frutig would take issue with that.

Frutig, an All-American at Michigan, is the last surviving member of that Packers squad. At the age of 21 in 1941, he was the youngest member as well.

Selected in the 5th round of that year's draft, Edward Frutig's rookie season marked the pinnacle of his brief Packers tenure, as he enlisted with the Navy after the United States entered World War II.

When he returned in 1945, he played only one game with the Packers before switching to the Detroit Lions. He amassed two career touchdowns in two seasons with his homestate team, but never reached the post-season again.

He's still getting it done, taking in the rays in Florida from the looks of things. I hope someone knocks on his door, and if Ed's willing and able, I hope he gives his perspective on this game. I'd like to know if he keeps up with the teams for which he played, and if he ever thought it'd take this long for the Bears and Packers to meet in the playoffs again.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking