MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bud Selig Still Sucks

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Bud Selig Still Sucks

Postby nevermore » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Okay, all us cubicle dwellers were talking about that Tigers/Indians game around the water cooler and the worst call by a Joyce since this thread.

Bud Selig could actually do something about it. He can overturn that field call and acknowledge the fact that 27 batters came up and 27 batters got out and declare that Armando Galarraga pitched a perfect game. Do it before the poor umpire hangs himself. But nooooo...

First, on behalf of Major League Baseball, I congratulate Armando Galarraga on a remarkable pitching performance. All of us who love the game appreciate the historic nature of his effort last night.

Translation: Nice one-hitter. Really, the only words I can think of are stuff even I won't type here.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bud Selig Still Sucks

Postby Right Bower » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Would we all be talking about it if it were like, the fifth play of the game, and not the last? What kind of precedent would it set if Selig did overturn it?

Plus, La Russa wanted the call overturned, so that puts me on the side of the fence that makes me want to kill anyone who also wants it overturned.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Don't they already go back and change scoring on errors and fielders choice calls etc? I'm not for reviewing every call but this one seems to be a good candidate for a bending of the normal rules. Also hopefully some changes to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. Leave balls and strikes alone but safe or out, fair or foul should all be reviewable.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 pm

This is such an unusual case and completely warrants Selig overturning the bad call. The overturn wouldn't affect the outcome of the game at all. This is exactly what having the power to overturn is for: righting wrongs. This would set a precedent the league could be proud of.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 am

Actually, it's one of Bud's better decisions. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with you. Selig still sucks. However, this benefits baseball. Reverse the decision and everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame. Keep it and everyone is famous forever. Baseball is trivia, lore and statistics much more than most sports. He can let the media milk the tragedy angle to generate tons of free publicity. For a long, long, time.

The decision also fits better with baseball's history. Armando Galarraga ain't the first guy to get screwed out of a perfect game by an umpire. Usually a perfect game is lost to a bad pitch, a hit, a walk, or a fielding or umpire error. Pretty much in that order. All those things can happen on +-120 pitches. That's why they are so rare.

Someone twittered on the information super hi-way

" A perfect game is perfection for all involved. Perfect failure by the losing team, perfect play by the winners and perfect calls by the umps."
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:12 am

This is such an unusual and clear cut situation that he should have overturned the call. It would have been the just thing to do.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:25 am

What if the blown call that spoiled the perfect game came in an earlier inning?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What if the blown call that spoiled the perfect game came in an earlier inning?

But it wasn't.
The amendments would be that the lone hit would be correctly changed to an out, and the next guy's at bat would likely be erased from the record (he was out anyways).
Doppel makes some good points though.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

I still think it would be nice if MLB had a commissioner.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm one of those who think you don't review calls in baseball. Even the really bad ones.

Of course I also believe a baseball game can't end in a tie.

Which is why I'll always think Selig sucks.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking