MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Duke game

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: The Duke game

Postby david cohen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 am

Great win for Wisconsin! It is, however, the first week of December. Let's see if they can get a win like this the third week of March. And yes, that holds true for every Division 1 contender, not just Bucky:)

One thing is for sure: That win just moved the Badgers up a notch in the recruitment wars...hopefully they had some potential future talent in the house!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 am

david cohen wrote:One thing is for sure: That win just moved the Badgers up a notch in the recruitment wars...hopefully they had some potential future talent in the house!

JP Tokoto, a sophomore from Menomonee Falls and widely considered to be the most highly recruited prep player ever from the state, was in attendance. He's the first kid from Wisconsin that Coach K has offered a scholarship to. Last night couldn't have hurt Bo's chances.

I'm surprised by how thoroughly the Badgers were able to control the tempo of the game. Bo definitely had the upper hand. What a huge, huge win.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 am

I'm an idiot. That said, here are a few observations:

- Bo clearly adjusted defense at halftime to get help on Singler. That was big and a little uncharacteristic, seeing as how several hot shooters have killed Wisconsin in previous years. Duke wasn't able to counter until the final minutes when Dawkins nearly shot them into the lead.

- I don't like the idea of pulling the ball out and playing the clock game late if you've been able to get a lead by being aggressive. Maybe my view of the game is too simple, but it so drastically changes the mentality of your team to not losing instead of going for the kill shot. I was looking for Nankivil and Leuer to get more touches late, but it seemed like they only wanted Bohannon to have the ball for foul shot purposes and his strength isn't in creating his own shot.

- Hughes was unconscious, but the reason they won was classic Ryan swing offense execution. Nankivil and Leuer were dangerous inside and outside with Nankivil hitting on a HUGE three pointer late in the first half on a situation where the defense left him to help on Hughes and he ended up wide open. That's vintage spacing, which Ryan talks about all the time. As a result, Duke couldn't double up on Hughes or anyone else. They needed to guard every guy on the floor. And while they hit some great shots last night, Bohannon was 0/6 from three.

- Ryan Evans. Watch this kid. Bob Knight called him the best defender Wisco has and he was the guy Bo turned to to lock down Singler, who is a freak.

- Five turnovers. Duke had eleven. Hughes had two assists to zero turns. The five starters accounted for only one turnover. As boring as it seems, that's how tough games are won.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 pm

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Problem is, we rarely have such a solid shooting half.

Yah, my dad and I were expecting what has become the traditional second half shooting drought. The Badgers had a few rough minutes with scoring, but they pulled it together.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Depends on the team. Krabbenhoft and Landry were not strong outside shooters. Leuer, Nankivil and Jarmusz are much better.

This is the way the swing is supposed to work. Guards get open shots in the post, bigs get open looks on the perimeter. Success depends on them knocking down those shots. But watch Nankivil's jumper... silky. And Leuer was raised to be a guard before he grew like seven inches in a year in high school. He's got all the shooter/passer moves.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 pm

I am slightly less of an idiot than jjoyce, and that's my prerogative.

Other than Bohannon's three-point shooting, all the Badgers played their best game of this short season, which is what was needed to beat Dook. It was great to see what these players can do when firing on all cylinders, and really, I don't think they are done yet. Nankivil will get better at scoring down low with out clanking his gorilla dunks of the back iron. Taylor is getting better at driving to the basket and staying under control (one spot last night he drove well, but after he jumped to make the 6-footer, he couldn't decide whether to shoot for the hoop or bank it, so he did neither successfully). Evans led in team in rebounds and defense last night, but one of these games (OK, maybe not until next year), he is going to figure out how to be an offensive player as well.

Did you know that Nankivil led the team in assists?

Singler scored a lot, but I wasn't really that impressed, to be honest. He just kind of flails around the perimeter of the paint. I don't normally fall into the blame the refs for your troubles mindset, but I thought at least one of the crowd's cries for traveling on Singler was justified. I was more impressed with Nolan Smith, who's obviously gimpy leg not only did not keep him out of the game, but it also did not stop him form elevating enough to shoot and score over Leuer.

It was kind of strange how ineffective Duke's big players are (other than Singler, who is 6'8"), not just in this particular game, but as a functioning part of their game plan. I think K would rather run 5 guards/small forwards, but he needs some size for defense purposes.

The halftime performer was Red Panda, and is easily my family's favorite part of the season aside from the actual basketball.

One last thought, I have never seen more of a visible contingent of opposing fans for a big game than I did last night. That is saying a lot, considering how close MN, IL, and MI are, and even more when considering how many big games those teams have played at the Kohl Center. One thing about Dookies, they clump together.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:06 pm

acereraser wrote:One last thought, I have never seen more of a visible contingent of opposing fans for a big game than I did last night. That is saying a lot, considering how close MN, IL, and MI are, and even more when considering how many big games those teams have played at the Kohl Center. One thing about Dookies, they clump together.

I noticed that as well and found it a bit annoying that they were in our student section, something Bo has negatively commented on in the past. A lot of Marquette fans show up at the Kohl too but that's to be expected.

What percentage do you think were Duke fans with an actual school tie? I'm thinking most of them were just bandwagon fans as Duke's got to be right up there with Notre Dame and Michigan in the number of fans with no geographic or student/staff/alumni connection. But who knows, maybe they have a hefty number of alumni in the area for some reason. :D
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:28 pm

pulseCzar wrote:What percentage do you think were Duke fans with an actual school tie? I'm thinking most of them were just bandwagon fans as Duke's got to be right up there with Notre Dame and Michigan in the number of fans with no geographic or student/staff/alumni connection. But who knows, maybe they have a hefty number of alumni in the area for some reason. :D

I still feel a bit uncomfortable when it comes time to sing "Varsity" at Badger games. I mean, I've been a Badger fan my whole life and my family has deep ties to the UW, but I'm no alumnus. I voiced my concerns to my dad (BA in Sociology, 1955) who basically told me to "lighten up".
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:36 am

LOL Good one, Supa, you have the family & geographic connection so you should definitely not feel odd. I posted comment about bandwagoners because of a conversation a co-worker and I had. We were wondering what motivates a person to go into the Kohl all decked out in Duke attire if that person has absolutely no ties to Duke. It goes to show what a huge impact Duke's history has had on some folks.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:09 pm

pulseCzar wrote:LOL Good one, Supa, you have the family & geographic connection so you should definitely not feel odd. I posted comment about bandwagoners because of a conversation a co-worker and I had. We were wondering what motivates a person to go into the Kohl all decked out in Duke attire if that person has absolutely no ties to Duke. It goes to show what a huge impact Duke's history has had on some folks.

I had a Duke t-shirt under my UW sweatshirt. But as a former high school coach i had a small connection to Coach K which made me a huge fan of his.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:19 pm

JJ,

Is the 5th grade team you coach a tri-county team? My nephew plays on one so i'm curious if our paths will cross. I'm guessing they have thru football, either my nephews tackle team or past seasons of flag.( i officiated )
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:37 am

Supa -

You can do as I do when you sing "Varsity." I sing "Praise to thee YOUR alma mater..." or sometimes "Praise to thee my great employer."

No one ever notices!
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking