MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers minus cable

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Packers minus cable

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:27 am

We don't have cable at my house, so I experienced last night's game via Wayne and Larry. Anyone else?

I listen to plenty of baseball, but football has been much more tailored to television.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers minus cable

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am

I don't have cable either, so I just went to my buddy's place for the game. Personally I prefer baseball on the radio to television, but I really don't like listening to football on the radio at all. I just can't seem to picture what's going on in my head like I can for baseball. Hockey's the same way. I think it's hard to visualize the position on the field or ice just based on the descriptions, whereas first, second and third are much easier.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:05 am

I think hockey's boring enough on TV; I can't even imagine how tedious it would be on the radio.

I don't have a TV period, so I went to The Harmony. It was a total madhouse.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 am

When I was a kid, the only way to experience hockey was on radio because the games were so infrequently televised.

When I would cover Badger games in college, the visiting team's play-by-play team would set up camp right on the same table as the writers. Often this would be a single guy, accompanied by a bottle of Cloraseptic, who had to keep track of who was on the ice and what was happening all by himself. And I can't imagine the hockey guy from St. Cloud State is pulling down great money.

What a crazy gig.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am

You guys ever heard of the internet?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:42 am

I have heard of these "internets," and yet assumed that the live game would not be available due to the machinations of various "corporations."

Was video of the game, contrary to my expectation, available on the 'net as a live feed? If so, where?

I listened to it on the radio, which was just fine.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am

Radio for me too. 2 thoughts:

- It helps to have a good imagination when you can't see what's happening
- Did the TV audience have to endure that awful singer of the national anthem?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 am

I have cable. I can only do radio in the car. I have a great imagination, but all sports are better when you can see the action. This "its better on the radio" bs is a lame excuse for being cheap. Some of the announcers are better for sure, but I'll take HD over the local radio guys anyday.

I sometimes watch baseball or BC college football on the internets. Not sure what the NFL does.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Creed's Scott Stapp! Wow, what a jackass that guy is, and he only confirmed it with that "rendition."

As for the internet, I've seen games on justin.tv and various other places before and it's okay. But it was actually pretty fun to have the radio on last night and occasionally check in via ESPN.com's Gamecast, that tracks all the drives and does a pretty good play-by-play. I mean, what was I missing on TV besides Jaworski and Gruden's Favre fawning?

I even watched a "Rescue Me" episode at halftime. Not bad.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 pm

I do gamecasts for a lot of Red Sox games, they are pretty good for when you are watching something else.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:23 pm

We dumped TV awhile back. Always enjoyed sports on the radio, though. Badger hockey with Paul Braun was fun - pretty easy to follow the action. Brewer baseball is great, basketball alright, football kinda weak - due to go-stop-go-stop nature of the game. Always associate college football with a drive to the countryside - apple orchard, cheese factory, or state park visit. Unlike TV,the radio guys can be way over the top with their biases - no need for balanced coverage. Can get alot done while listening to the game, too, unlike being glued to the tube.

And, yeah, that rendition of the anthem...ouch.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Unless local radio comes up with the Twins/Tigers today (I fully expect them to stick with their exceptional local talk programming *cough*), I'm going to have to get that via occasional GameCast check-ins as well.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:Unless local radio comes up with the Twins/Tigers today (I fully expect them to stick with their exceptional local talk programming *cough*), I'm going to have to get that via occasional GameCast check-ins as well.

I would be dying...more power to you. We're DVRing it and watching it before dinner, but I will have to check gamecast a few times before I get home I'm sure.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:I even watched a "Rescue Me" episode at halftime.

Isn't that show on cable, which you don't have?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I even watched a "Rescue Me" episode at halftime.

Isn't that show on cable, which you don't have?

It's on Hulu, which is also how I keep up on cable network shows like "Burn Notice" and "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" without paying for cable.

I'll use GameCast occasionally, and it's useful for checking up on a game. I like it better for baseball than football when following a game in real time, and it's not so useful for hockey.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking