MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"They're saying..."

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: "They're saying..."

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Google insight is a blast. I find it useful in assessing the pop culture acumen of particular regions. For instance, here are the hot searches in Vermont over the last 7 days:

1. images +50%
2. toyota +40%
3. aol +40%

And New York:

1. stephanie birkitt Breakout
2. david letterman +1,100%
3. letterman +800%
4. erin andrews +700%
5. google wave +550%
6. zombieland +350%
7. wave +170%
8. bruce springsteen +160%
9. 2012 +120%
10. td bank +70%

And Alaska:

1. samoa +350%
2. google maps +80%
3. halloween +70%
4. bear tooth +60%
5. youtube.com +50%
6. gci.net +50%

And Poland:

1. marek edelman Breakout
2. aleksander rybak +1,200%
3. chylińska +450%
4. agnieszka chylińska +350%
5. anna barańska +300%
6. siatkówka na żywo +250%
7. fifa 10 +100%
8. mpk olsztyn +70%
9. mpk kraków +70%
10. mam talent tvn +50%
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Now, before jjoyce runs too far from the point he was just trying to make, I thought the whole idea was that there was more to do in MPLS than in, say, Green Bay? But don't those Google stats indicate more diverse interests in the Wisconsin Googlers over the single-minded Minnesotans? Twins fans seem to have one thing on their minds (two if you count thinly sliced roast beef and Black Forest ham with ripe tomatoes and Hellman's mayonnaise).

What's better? Having more to do, or being interested in more? It's so hard to maintain these pigeonholes. Seems like they're full of shit all the time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:10. twins baseball +120%

Or, to put it another way, their popularity has plummeted by 60% in the past two days!

By the way, what the heck is going on with Jimmy John's up in the Cities that would explain that much of an increase in searches? Did they add a fish sandwich to the menu?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:40 pm

This data also just tracks search history. How many people have to google a team to get their info? I think if you're a Vikings fan you know where to go to find news without the help of a search engine.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 pm

must find a jimmy johns...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Come to think of it, is there a bigger "They're saying..." than a Google search term ranking?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:05 pm

fisticuffs wrote:This data also just tracks search history. How many people have to google a team to get their info? I think if you're a Vikings fan you know where to go to find news without the help of a search engine.

This is the way a lot of people use the web these days. Our numbers indicate, for instance, that a lot of people arrive at our site by typing "daily page madison" or "isthmus" into Google. Sure, they might know the url, but Google is their home page and they just type what they want in the box to get there.

Brilliant, no?

Book's got a point. But the difference is that these Google numbers are fact. When someone on a morning show says "they're saying," they're probably only referencing one person, if that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:10 pm

This is the way a lot of people use the web these days. Our numbers indicate, for instance, that a lot of people arrive at our site by typing "daily page madison" or "isthmus" into Google.

Really? How much is "a lot of people"? Is it 50% of your traffic? I link to pages I want to look at regularly. If I want news on the Vikings I have bookmarks for ESPN and CBS sports among others. So when I'm looking for Packer news I'm not going to be a part of those google search statistics. I don't think I'm alone here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:12 pm

1. Search queries are a very different animal than what Twitter would call trending topics, for many reasons.

2. thedailypage.com is, frankly, not a very strong domain name, for many reasons. It is not surprising people take shortcuts.

3. People are stupid and cannot spell "isthmus."

4. Jason is right about people using the Google search box as a replacement for the location field.

This stuff is entirely more complicated than a {Google search term ranking = "They're saying..."}
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Some use bookmarks. Many more use the Google box, from what I can tell.

50% of our traffic comes via Google. The other half is split between direct traffic and referrals. We score extremely well on some targeted search terms, which is the game now in online publishing. Success relies on coming up near the top in Google keyword results. It only helps if you're running items that coincide with what shows up on those insight lists. We're pretty locally focused at TDP, but I wouldn't mind having a timely item on l'affair Letterman right now.

It's a head scratcher that people aren't aware of what an influence on the world Google is. It's massive. And if you're in the news media business, considering the impact of Google takes up a lot of your waking work time, and some of your sleeping hours as well.

Consider the answers you get to a question like "Which browser do you use?" A lot of Forons probably know what that means, because we're smart as hell. But the majority of people, when asked that question, will say something like "google." That's how they use the web.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:46 pm

And it's multi-lingual AND you can change the look of it to suit your needs and artistic sensibilities.

Plus there's those clever uses of the logo to educate me about Gandhi and the Universe and stuff like that.

Much as I love TDP, I like www.blackle.com as my home page.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:20 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... anchO7DiUr

I realize this isn't a direct comparison, but more than twice as many local households watched MNF as the one-game playoff.

By the way, Jason, I'm not trying to suggest that the Twins have poor fans, or that Viking fans are obsessed with Favre. Ratings for football are pretty much always going to be higher than baseball. If you ask me, this has more to do with gambling than just about anything else.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:22 pm

this has more to do with gambling than just about anything else.

That and Baseball is a marathon while football is a sprint. Even in the playoffs. You miss a couple of innings or a whole game of a 7 or even 5 game series and you didn't miss much.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking