MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Partly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brewers Going to the Playoffs

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 am

I think if the Yanks don't get Teixeira next year they'll be very interested. They're always crazy, and if they don't make the playoffs again next year they'll be certifiable. They talk about their farm system but I think the pressure to WIN RIGHT NOW will keep them buying.

But if the market for the 1B/DH is cool I think Milwaukee's got as good of a chance as anyone. I just see Boras as the kind of Wormtongue-type that would foment bad feelings between Fielder and the management, especially with Braun's deal making him the "future" of the franchise.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 am

I was talking about this at the bar last night.

We all agreed that if were GM we'd try to move Weeks and Hall, and let Fielder go, in the off-season.

Fielder would be attractive to most AL teams; he's a natural DH, and young enough that he's pretty much a gauranteed 30+ HR / 85+ RBI for the next five years or so. That's an investment that I think a lot of teams would be happy to make.

You can always find a good fielding / decent hitting 1B (Lyle Overbay, anyone?). And apparently the Crews top minor league prospect is a 2B, making Weeks expendable. He's still got enough potential that you could probably get something useful for him - if only some future prospects, and/or some bodies for middle relief.

I think the big key is going to be if they can find another decent starting pitcher and/or a true high walk / low strikeout batter for the top of the order. Personally I think Corey Hart could probably be switched to leadoff and be pretty effective, but only if he's got someone with some patience and a solid bat at the two spot - after all, Lou Brock himself had a fairly crappy strikeout-to-walk ratio over his career. The key is to have some balance in their lineup, and while the Crew have improved a lot in this area since the Sexon / Hernandez / Jenkins years, they still have too many sluggers and not enough batters.

I still think they'll be competative next year, regardless - but if they really want a shot at making it over the playoff hump, they need to make some bold off-season moves.

If Weeks is still on the roster next year, you might as well plan your vacation to Aruba for the first week in October.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:True enough, but what is the market for an overweight 1B/DH type going to be? I just don't see a lot of clubs ponying up huge dollars for a guy like Prince. I agree that the Brewers won't sink meeeellions (nor should they), but I wonder who will be crazy enough to pull the trigger?

Or am I crazy?

I don't know, they have some pretty good hitters over there, and J.P. is no idiot. Right now he has to worry about signing Burnett or his replacement first I would guess. They do have a little more payroll flexibility than the Brewers though. I am there on Friday to see my Red Sox at Skydome, I will give you my scouting report on Monday.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:48 am

I just feel like the AL East is going to see a lot of action in the basement this offseason. The Rays opened the door, and I think the Jays are more likely than the Orioles to start spending to take advantage of the (apparent) opening. Baltimore's been burned by too many big free agent contracts lately to go deep for Prince.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 pm

Nice to see the Crew bang one out last night.

Looks like getting rid of Yost was the right move...

Yes, that's a joke.

Sort of.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah, now Sveum will go to the right guy in the ninth and everything will be cool. Oh wait...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:23 pm

man on 1st, man on 3rd, Frank says "Wow, a home run will tie the game"

as the words leave his lips, the ball leaves the park. If the Brewers lose, blame my coworker Frank.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:27 pm

yep 1 out to go and..... FUCK!!!. Now we're left with no strong arms in the pen while the Cubs are sitting on Crew killers Marmol and Wood.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I am watching on gamecast and I see the Crew go up 6-2 and then Torres gets two outs in the ninth. WTF happened? Blown save #8.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:33 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I am watching on gamecast and I see the Crew go up 6-2 and then Torres gets two outs in the ninth. WTF happened? Blown save #8.

The Brewers are currently getting jobbed by the home plate ump.

But beyond that? They've apparently decided to steal the Cubs mantle of overall incompetence rather than the division. Torres sure picked a bad day to have a bad game.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Now Edmonds gets run? I need a cable hookup in my office...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Now Edmonds gets run? I need a cable hookup in my office...

Apparently nobody's happy with the ump.

Once again, the Crew stranded the bases loaded twice in this game. The 9th should have been academic.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm

And 2 in the 12th. I hate baseball. At least when the Packers put up a heart breaking loss I have a week to recover.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:00 pm

This team doesn't deserve to win a spot on the Gong Show. They just had runners on 2nd & 3rd with nobody out ... in the 12th .. and didn't squeeze the run home. They didn't score.

FIRE SVEUM! FIRE SVEUM NOW!!!!!!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAA.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:02 pm

One of my co-workers came in to give me shit over the game when it went to 2 out in the ninth. He was one out premature.

I've got the gamecast on now - how did Hardy not find a way home from third with no out? I'm not complaining, but still...
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking