MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Does the Ohio State Band Ever Take a Breath?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Does the Ohio State Band Ever Take a Breath?

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Can't they sit down and STFU for five minutes? I've never heard so many renditions of "Eye of the Tiger" or the Darth Vader theme song in my entire life.

Cripes, guys and gals, we know you're robotic Army Ranger knock-offs and you have to play the OSU fight song every eight seconds lest your hearts come to a stop, but give the rest of us a break. Watch the game. Grab a hotdog. Polish your trombones and let the fans enjoy some of the sounds of the game.

That fricken band wore me out.

Thank God for Mike Leckrone and the Badger marching band.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:43 pm

Your question also brings to mind one of my own, does Michigan's band know a song other than Hail to the Victors? OSU's overrated football team can join it's overrated band and go dot their friggin' I's.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby One Eyed Jack » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Does any college band really get you that jacked up? Even Bucky's band annoys me. I vote for Quick Change (you know what I'm talking about here) during every timeout and halftime of every home Men's b-ball games. The band can have the Star Spangled Banner and one rendition of My Girl and that's it.
One Eyed Jack

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:38 pm

I love everything about the Badger Band. The songs, the attitude, the wackiness...it's all good. After Kevin Barrett, Patrick Farrell, and the Big Ten Network almost destroyed the affinity I have for my alma mater, the Badger Band, like a lovable puppy, brought me back.

The Ohio State band reminds me of the Tom Cruise character in that old movie, "Taps."

The Badgers are more like Pinto from "Animal House."

Long may they run.

Second on my "STFU college band" list goes to Oklahoma.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I dunno, Uncle. Maybe it's from attending too many games over the years but the UW Band doesn't do much for me these days. Leckrone's been phoning it in for at least a decade. Football halftime shows are recycled more times than not and about 75% of their songs are pre-1970. Jump Around, a recorded song, is now the big deal and not the Bud Song nor the scripted, boring Fifth Quarter. Hoops games feature the same, small rotation of songs year after year after year. How many times in a game can they play If You Want to be a Badger anyway??? We seriously need a new director who can breathe some life back into such a great tradition. Barry Alverez, Pat Richter, Dick Bennett, etc. all knew when it was time to hang it up. Too bad Leckrone can't figure it out.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 pm

The Ohio State University Marching Band is fucking annoying to listen to.

Sincerely,

The USC Trojan Band

p.s. Dahh, dada dah-dah-dah-dah, dah, dah, dahhhh, dadaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:26 pm

The Badger Band is about quality, not quantity.

"On Wisconsin" is the greatest college anthem of all time, and yet the band plays it with appropriate timing, taste, and restraint.

Same with "Hot Time."

I'll admit that as a kid, the "we love you anyway" playing of "Varsity" at the end of yet another 56-3 drubbing by Michigan or Ohio State always felt like salt poured into an open wound. But I like going to a game as a middle-aged fart and hearing a lot of the same stuff I heard as a kid. It's called tradition.

Besides, most modern music sucks.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 am

All half-time marching bands can be replaced with one person, one dog, and one frisbee.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby One Eyed Jack » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:55 am

butters wrote:All half-time marching bands can be replaced with one person, one dog, and one frisbee.

Or Quick Change.
One Eyed Jack

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:38 pm

I hate the hell out of listening to the USC Trojan band.

Sincerely,

Ears
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

gargantua wrote:I hate the hell out of listening to the USC Trojan band.

Sincerely,

Ears

Yeah, "Tusk" got a little old after the 56 millionth rendition.

But you have to admit the USC "Song Girls" rival the core temperature of the sun in terms of hotness.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 pm

This thread is hilarious. Can your alma mater possibly play its fight song too often? C'mon! Hell, I'm not even a UW alum, and I love hearing "If You Want to be a Badger."

The truly obnoxious band is USC. I grew up a Trojan fan, probably because they were the anti-Notre Dame. I had an SC jersey, SC sweatshirt, SC hat- hell, I even applied to and seriously considered going to school there.

But then I saw them in the Rose Bowl against Northwestern. And that fucking band does not stop playing. After every fucking play. Every. Fucking. Play. The same goddamn eight notes, over and over again.

I can never listen to that fucking band again.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:
gargantua wrote:I hate the hell out of listening to the USC Trojan band.

Sincerely,

Ears

Yeah, "Tusk" got a little old after the 56 millionth rendition.

But you have to admit the USC "Song Girls" rival the core temperature of the sun in terms of hotness.

Yes, the USC "Song Girls" are very easy on me.

Very Truly Yours,

Eyes
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:58 am

One Eyed Jack wrote:
butters wrote:All half-time marching bands can be replaced with one person, one dog, and one frisbee.

Or Quick Change.

I have nothing against Quick Change, but that act is a trifle compared to Red Panda. I am pretty sure I could become a decent illusionist over the course of a weekend, if you gave me the stage props and lessons, but it would take me several lifetimes to conquer the first couple steps of Red Panda's routine. It is never anything but gripping.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking