MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Just a reminder: Badger Men's Basketball starts Sunday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 pm

acereraser wrote:Well, you could have just been neighborly and filled me in instead of all rhetorical up in my grill. Wanna buy a half-price ticket for tonight's game? I've got one seat left that needs fillin'.

Sorry. And no thanks. I turned down a pair earlier today. Staying in tonight.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm just sayin', Winona State starts two/three La Follette grads and was the D-II runner up last year (champs the year prior). They beat Minnesota in an exhibition last year and would actually give Wisconsin a game, as well as the fans a legit value for their money.

Now, now - be nice.

The UW Athletic Department has come a long way, after all; they used to schedule club teams like 'Athletes In Action' for exhibition games, and avoided scheduling the other state D1 teams. I'm pretty sure I remember reading either a coach or an ad saying, in effect, "What's the upside for us? If we don't win by enough, we legitimize their program. And if - Bucky forbid - we lose, it gives them a shot at recruiting out-state Wisconsin on a level playing field."

I think having Dick Bennett and then Bo as coaches helped change that. Their experiences in the WIAC taught them that it doesn't have to be a zero-sum game; that a healthy, vibrant basketball culture in Wisconsin would float all boats.

In this context, throwing Edgewood a bone doesn't seem like such a crime.

Though I agree - they really should schedule Winona.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am

All college programs had to stop scheduling those barnstorming teams ("Marathon Oil" anyone?) because UConn's Jim Calhoun was somehow using them to cheat. Go figure. I recall Michigan State playing the Harlem Globetrotters, who played it straight for college team exhibition games.

Clearly, the present system is better. But I'm amazed that there's not more outrage from ticket buyers about this stuff. They have to pay full freight to see Edgewood, a team that might not win a pick-up game at the SERF. The real laugher is that the beat writers, TV sports guys and even the coaches try to draw conclusions from these games.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 am

jjoyce wrote:All college programs had to stop scheduling those barnstorming teams ("Marathon Oil" anyone?) because UConn's Jim Calhoun was somehow using them to cheat. Go figure.

I certainly remember Marathon Oil; the Cats used to open against them every year (with typically mixed results). However, this cheating allegation is something I've never heard before. Where can I find out the details?
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:Clearly, the present system is better. But I'm amazed that there's not more outrage from ticket buyers about this stuff. They have to pay full freight to see Edgewood, a team that might not win a pick-up game at the SERF. The real laugher is that the beat writers, TV sports guys and even the coaches try to draw conclusions from these games.

As a ticket buyer, I really don't feel any outrage at all about the exhibition games, especially since, as you say, the present system is better. Actually, I appreciate Bo (or whomever has final say on scheduling) throwing a bone to the smaller, local schools. It must have been pretty fun and exciting for the Edgewood team to play at the Kohl Center. Last night, there was a family from Cross Plains in front of us cheering on their family member who played for Eau Claire. I think it will be a loss if/when we lose these local connections, and I would direct you to the BTN eliminating the delayed broadcast of the games on WPT as a timely case in point.

About the money end of it, I feel that I am paying full freight to see the Badgers play all season long, not just to see Edgewood, etc. It is very interesting to me to see the season begin to take shape, starting with which new guys will eventually emerge as regular players. Also, the money end of it works itself later on down the line. Last night, I had one extra seat to fill, so I joked with one of the scalpers with a fistfull of tickets outside the parking ramp "Do you wanna trade?" He half smiled, said, "Well, maybe, where are your seats?" I showed him, he replied, "Those are good seats, you don't want to trade those." I said, "Yeah, I like 'em"; after he realized they are my seats for the season, he offered me $150/ticket for the Marquette game, and gave me his phone number. Don't worry, I buy the tickets so I can use them, not to sell them, but I can't help but wonder what price he would get for the tickets, if he can offer me so much this far in advance.

I know it is your job to be a sports critic, JJ, but regarding the exhibition games, I think you are being too critical.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:30 pm

buckyor wrote:Where can I find out the details?

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ry/9014921

That should get you started. This topic hasn't yet come up in the fawning interviews "coach" has had at ESPN this week. Wonder why...
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm

acereraser wrote:I think you are being too critical.

Maybe. But hoops tickets aren't getting any cheaper and the quality of opponent isn't getting any better.

How amped are you to see IUPUFW? Savannah State?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:How amped are you to see IUPUFW?

Hugely amped.

Why, just to hear their fight song sends chills down my spine:

"Go IUPUFW!!!"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:

Maybe. But hoops tickets aren't getting any cheaper and the quality of opponent isn't getting any better.

You've got to admit that there's an increasing trend of conference v. conference mini-tournaments in D-1 right now. As these succeed and stand out in the crown of IUPUFWs, there will only be more. However, some schools are certainly being taught a lesson about scheduling "patsies" (see: Kentucky, MSU, OSU).

Bottom line is that there is pressure from above and below to make the nonconference schedules more competitive. If the big schools don't schedule more games with each other, the small schools will continue to become more of a threat competitively.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm

jjoyce wrote:

I can't argue about prices going up, but if we abstract it a little, is there any sector of the entertainment industry where ticket prices have gone down?

I will argue that the quality of opponents in college basketball has gotten better. If I remember correctly, the story arc of last year's NCAA tourney was how the mid-majors had achieved a new level of parity with the major programs. You already mentioned the Spartans ((formerly?) projected to be #1 in the Big Ten) getting beat at home by D-II Grand Valley St. And, although it kind of hurts to bring it up, here is a headline from Jan. 21, 2006: Independent North Dakota St. upsets Wisconsin at home.

I would be lying if I said I was fevered with anticipation to the other two teams you mentioned, but who can say what will happen? The play is still the thing.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:22 am

jjoyce wrote:

Not quite as amped as I am to see us play #11 Marquette or at #13 Duke or at #15 Texas. That's as many games against Top 15 talent as we have scheduled for conference games. Colorado, Georgia, and Valparaiso aren't exactly pushovers, either. The last two years UW has had very solid non-conference slates. Do you long for the Bennett and Yoder regimes?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

'Nuff said.

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:59 pm

O.J. wrote:Do you long for the Bennett and Yoder regimes?

Constantly.

Dave Burkemper, man.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 'Nuff said.

Postby nevermore » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Marvell wrote:
O.J. wrote:Do you long for the Bennett and Yoder regimes?

Constantly.

Dave Burkemper, man.

Damen Harrell - the black Kurt Portmann!!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking