MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The inevitable Rockies v. Red Sox World Series thread...huh?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who will win the 2007 World Series?

Boston Red Sox
46%
Colorado Rockies
23%
Sheppy
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby buckyor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:45 pm

I like the Brewers and DBacks. And yeah, I guess that means that you guys are way smarter than I am. :roll:

As for my prediction of the DBacks to win it all- yeah, maybe a homer pick, but I'll take my picks over those of these experts, thank you.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:04 pm

habari wrote:
massimo wrote:Well, I guess they had a lot of 'lose' built up in their systems. I mean, the NL can't be THIS bad, right?

That statement is completely asinine. I'm not going to go there, I just wanted to point out that the homeplate ump, Magruder, evidently carries around Josh Becket's jock for him. This is the second game in the playoffs where you have macgruder in a fox "sounds of the game" segment talking to becket on a first name basis. "Josh! just wanted to let you know I told the guys to give the balls an extra rub before they bring'em out! Wanna go to red lobster after the game?" And this is the same guy who calls the horse shit balk in the 6th, saying he stepped toward home instead of first, when clearly that wasn't the case. Or atleast clearly it wasn't macgruder's business to say so. Horseshit, I say.

Lord, how could I have missed this one? I was so distracted by this pointless "Boston fans walk like this, and Cards fans walk like this" crap...

well, anyway, my statement was intended to be asinine, my feline friend. thanks.

Also, 13-1? No umps in the world could account for 13 freaking runs! I'm glad to see you have already been handed your ass on that one, though...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 am

Poor Rockies. They just couldn't recover from that balk call in Game One.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:21 pm

If nothing else, I guess this will put to rest the relevance of the senior circuit with respect to the best teams in baseball.

This Series truly made it look like the ALCS was the actual championship and the four-games-in-five-days charade was more of a post-season barnstorming exhibition.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 pm

A few extra thoughts:

1) How genius were the Dice-K and Okajima pickups in the offseason? I thought $103mil for Dice-K for 6 seasons was too much. First off, the revenues from winning the World Series will pay for it. Secondly, the money comes to an average of $512,000 per strikeout (with 5 seasons to go). The Yankees paid $412,000 per Roger Clemens strikeout for only one season. And bringing in an unknown Japanese junkballer to plug a hole in the middle relief and have it work like it did. Wow.

2) Eric Gagne gets a ring with a team he never earned a save with.

3) I wonder how many cars BostonJeff turned over last night.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:34 pm

What a great weekend for baseball, very nicely executed wins. I think we know who the best team in baseball is...fans debatable. In addition to the actual WS in Denver, I enjoyed the WI world series exhibit at the History Museum downtown on Sat. I recommend it to all baseball fans.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking