MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Paterno: Why he should coach forever

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Paterno: Why he should coach forever

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 22, 2007 2:15 pm

JoePa Will Put Your Ass To Work

In light of charges that several Penn State football players engaged in a brawl on campus in April, the entire team will clean Beaver Stadium each Sunday after home games this season.

"I just thought that, hey, we had 14, 15 kids -- I don't even know how many -- that were involved in something embarrassing, and I think that we need to prove to people that we're not a bunch of hoodlums."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue May 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Good for him. I wonder if the University of Miami and Florida International are paying attention. Donna...?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Paterno: Why he should coach forever

Postby bdog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Well apparently at least one of his assistants will anyway.

Sad ending to a storied career.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Abdul » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 am

I could give a rat's ass about his stinking career. Lot's of people at Penn State, including Paterno failed the humanity test.
Abdul

Postby lardheppus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 pm

I hear they're looking at a new mascot:

lardheppus
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 pm

According to NFL.com Papa Joe is already history.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 pm

If you read the text of his "I will retire at the end of the year" press release it was pretty sad. It was the equivalent of "move along, nothing to see here." Given that he was probably retiring after this year, it wasn't much of an offer on his part either.

Depending on whether he was going to retire anyway, he essentially got the same or less of a penalty than Tressell.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:23 am

Paterno fired

Penalty like Tressels? Maybe. The real penalty is his legacy is forever tarnished. More like Woody Hayes' penalty - when you think of him you remember him slugging an opposing player.

When people think of Paterno they will think of this scandal.

Any bets he pulls an Andy Rooney?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 am

He should be remembered for this and nothing more. He is an unethical coach who proved himself to be a morally bankrupt piece of shit.

The fact that Mike McQueary, the soulless coward , hasn't been fired yet says a lot about Penn St and their ethics. There are so many people involved that could have done something to stop this many many years ago, but they didn't.

How fucking pathetic is that?
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 am

He should be remembered for this and nothing more. He is an unethical coach who proved himself to be a morally bankrupt piece of shit.

46 years as head coach aren't going to wiped away because of this. Paterno didn't do enough but he didn't do nothing at all. He reported it to the AD and President. They did nothing at all. He should have been let go because of the circus that is going to be following him everywhere for the next year. That's not fair to the student athletes. They at least get a small chance to move on from this now.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:29 am

fisticuffs wrote:Paterno didn't do enough but he didn't do nothing at all.

Great. That can be his headstone epitaph.
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am

When I taught, I was required by law to report any suspected instances of child abuse immediately, to either law enforcement or local social services. Once when I noticed one of my students had a shiner, I asked him how he got it. He said his dad hit him. I reported it that day. If not, I faced a year in prison (a felony) and loss of my teaching licence(s).

I assume Pennsylvania has a similar law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I assume Pennsylvania has a similar law.

Actually, I think you can assume it doesn't, or that it doesn't apply to football coaches, since every legal expert to chime in on the issue--including local law enforcement--has said that Paterno is in no legal danger.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:I assume Pennsylvania has a similar law.

Actually, I think you can assume it doesn't, or that it doesn't apply to football coaches, since every legal expert to chime in on the issue--including local law enforcement--has said that Paterno is in no legal danger.

I heard that too. I think because Paterno reported it up the chain of command, he was off the hook. Those to whom he reported it were criminally charged for failing to notify legal authorities.

In my case I went to the school social worker, who then immediately called Dane County Human Services. If she did not do that, I would have instead. Because of confidentiality rules, I never knew how DCHS handled it, but I am sure they investigated.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

For the record, here's the applicable PA statute:

§ 42.42. Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements.
(a) General rule. Under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6311 (relating to persons required to report suspected child abuse), licensees who, in the course of the employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall report or cause a report to be made to the Department of Public Welfare when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse.

(b) Staff members of public or private agencies, institutions and facilities. Licensees who are staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who, in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse. Upon notification by the licensee, the person in charge or the designated agent shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with subsections (a), (c) and (d).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking